ROUND BASES ARE HERE!

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

ROUND BASES ARE HERE!

Post by T.D. »

OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Re: ROUND BASES ARE HERE!

Post by T.D. »

toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

oh dear
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Well we will adapt. Still the rumours of the separate skirmish game with round and the core game still on square.

Either way I will restart my new army once I know how to base.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

New Nurgle Daemon?

Edit: Found it. Forgeworld:

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I still can't believe it :p
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

I still don't think I've seen anything yet that is actually all that definitive towards how 9th is actually going to look and play; there's round bases, square bases, there's units, skirmishers, stuff that is clearly just a diorama, stuff that could be a game. !eek!

I think the water is muddier than ever now, having said that the Lizardmen army on round bases looks pretty damn good, much better than I thought round bases would.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I'm not rebasing my entire army. If that's where it goes, my stuff will be on eBay.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

direweasel wrote:I'm not rebasing my entire army. If that's where it goes, my stuff will be on eBay.

I wouldn't cut off your nose to spite your face :P

There was a guy on Warseer going on for months about how he had sold his Lizardmen because they had been "squatted".

As you can see from the shots, Lizardmen are still here and looking not bad at all on mixed bases.

My point of view is that GW can't take our own models and fluff away. I'm glad I never sold my Darkies back in the 90s, because I now have the opportunity to model them better than I used to be able to, and can take them out of the cupboard to play old and new editions, and with old friends, new friends or new generational family members.

Best to wait till we see the new rules before we panic (and indeed, as Ambo has said, this might just be an extra skirmish expansion for WH). LotR was widely regarded as a very good pure game, and it used a skirmish-style set up and round/oval bases.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Oh, don't misunderstand. I am definitely waiting for solid, in-print info, and I don't mind having some new stuff on round bases to mix in with existing stuff.

What I'm saying is that if a new rules set expects me to re-base my whole army, it's not happening.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

I can see some advantages of round bases, as on our RBT's, and even some of our single models, like Peggy's, monsters etc. But much besides that I dont feel like it would be a benefit.

Then it just stinks of a new idea from GW for them to make more money, by having us to re-base entire armies.

Waiting for solid print is the way to go.
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Praetorian1979 wrote:Then it just stinks of a new idea from GW for them to make more money, by having us to re-base entire armies.

How? How can this be made to wring a pofit from us?
If they made this change, i think it's for the game.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

direweasel wrote:Oh, don't misunderstand. I am definitely waiting for solid, in-print info, and I don't mind having some new stuff on round bases to mix in with existing stuff.

What I'm saying is that if a new rules set expects me to re-base my whole army, it's not happening.

Fair enough.

I'm not keen on the idea of rebasing my whole army either :)
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

From the Lizardmen models, I'm thinking magnets and pin vices are about to become very valuable commodities.

However, given that there's a huge battlefield with what appears to be Phoenix King and Aestyrion armies going at it in skirmish-style deployments that still have square bases, I'm confident that it won't be a "rebase or stop playing" situation.

Put me down as a "wait for hard copy" guy as well.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I wouldn't try to deduce too much from the images. They had dioramas with space marines without bases. I doubt it means they have a change coming that scraps bases altogether.
The dioramas are clearly designed to showcase beautiful models and impressive scenes. I'm not sure they are designed to showcase formations and consistency in the bases.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

It is not so much the bases which will need a change.
When we will see the quality of the new model ranges, our old models will seem so terribly out-fashioned and crude that we will feel the urge to renew the whole army. Bases included.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

Btw, the Nurgle Daemon Prince is a "of the Ruinstorm" type from Forgeworld. It is a 30k/40k unit, hence the oval base.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Round n Square bases in recently GW purchased model:

Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

T.D. wrote:
direweasel wrote:Oh, don't misunderstand. I am definitely waiting for solid, in-print info, and I don't mind having some new stuff on round bases to mix in with existing stuff.

Fair enough.

I'm not keen on the idea of rebasing my whole army either :)

Why would you have to? You know, 40K can be played with scare bases. :roll: For the longest time that was how we did our motorcycle troops.