games workshop are releasing a new battle table

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

games workshop are releasing a new battle table

Post by Kinslayer »

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... prod730814

Looks like games workshop decided to make a modular gaming board, 6 sections which are 2x2' in size and can be connected in a number of ways. It looks really good, especially the painted up versions, but i think £150 is way too much since you dont get any of the other scenery with it. I would be happy to pay maybe half as much for this board, but no way at that price.

Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Dunno if other countries got this but at my local GWShop in Canada they received a small catalogue with different Tables that include scenery, for an extra to the original price ($315 CAD).

The most expensive one was 40k buildings table that was somewhere between $500 and $600, I forget the exact price.

Its expensive and only really worth it if you've got a serious gaming club I guess?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

And a place to store 6 thick 2'x2' squares ;) It's not exactly small but I had a chance to take a look at it at Games Day and it looks nice. Add some of the latest GW Scenery (woods come to mind) and you have reasonably looking table.

Of course if you have the skills then making a table yourself from scratch will definitely be cheaper.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I think it is WAY too expensive. If you're willing to put a little time and effort in you can build a much better looking table for much less. I have a 4x4 table that only cost me $25 (I didn't make it, someone who did sold it too me). As well, you can design the table however you want it (mine has lava all over!)

I think the table is for people who have the money but not the time to make one themselves. I'm not saying the table is horrible, I think many of the peices on it are very nice, it's just too expensive for me to even consider buying it.
I would suggest a group of gamers pitching in and getting one to share, that's the only reasonable approach I can think of.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Kefka wrote:I would suggest a group of gamers pitching in and getting one to share, that's the only reasonable approach I can think of.

that is actually a really good idea. Say you have 5 people who normally game together, £30 each toward it will not set you back too much and will give you a solid battlefield to play on.

__

my own gaming table is just a 2 sided flat board textured and grassed and cost £40 to make, £15 of which was GW grass mat and £11 was textured spray paint. I had the idea at the time to leave the grass side flat as i have some seperate hills to scatter onto it, and to use polystyrene to mould the rocky side into a bumpy landscape but i couldnt find the tools.
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

For me personally I find it unattractive as the hills stuck in. I agree that it looks nice and you can alter it a bit, but having your hills as seperate pieces that sit on top allows more freedom for creating unique battlefields each game.

Plus $315 CnD is far too much for my taste as well.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Doesn't it come in a bag for those 6 2x2 boards?
Rising son
Cold One Knight

Post by Rising son »

Looks nice and all but $290 IIRC is a bit steep. As others have already said with a little effort you can make something comparable for a lot less, with more flexibility, portability etc. Mind you, if GW donated one to my gaming club, I wouldn't say no.
"I can't believe you think I'm a liar. Sure I make random stuff up, but I'm not a liar."
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Hah speaking of such donations.. my gaming club won $600 (CAD prices) of terrain 6 months ago, it was like 2 manors and a bunch of hills/forests.

It still isn't all painted or used often hah!
Daicon
Corsair

Post by Daicon »

I saw this a little while ago. A few friends and I are actually planning to split one between us, namely because we find we have little enough time between work and school to get a good game together, never mind make our gaming table. Split between five people it's only going to come to a little bit more than $60 Canadian each, and it will add quite a bit to our gaming experience.
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

I think it's a great product, plastic is a durable and nice to handle material, and being ready made is always nice if you don't have lots of time to spend on "accessories". I'd rather use my time painting miniatures than making tables. Tho, some people like making their own tables, clearly this isn't for them. :D

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Three hundred dollars, no thanks. <30 bucks to make your own table, and terrain is practically free.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

thats odd, games workshop site lists it as £150 but i just got novembers white dwarf which is listing it as £100
Duffman327
Executioner

Post by Duffman327 »

$208 aus per square metre!!!!! dear god / no offence to any other aussie out there but if you have bought one at the $450 rrp GW has on it, you're...... well im not actually allowed to say am i? its cheaper for me to hire a carpenter and build me a picnic table. what an absolute joke. i have never laughed so loud. $75A per 2 foot piece. good work GW
I am the Silent Wind of Doom... Whoosh!
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

I find it funny why people get so aggravated by the price? If you can get a better table free, good for you, post about how you do that, instead of going on a rampage. I have absolutely no intrest in wasting my miniature painting time on making gaming tables, which is why I think the GW table is a good purchase. Offcourse, I got a job too, the few hundred bucks don't really sound like that much to me, but maybe if your moms paying you a weekly allowance of 20€ I can see how the table is a bit expensive.

I'm not completely incompetent at modelling, and looking at the GW table, it's plastic, which comes with many benefits over styrofoam/wood/cardboard etc, not to mention it's textured right out of the box. Add to that the usual 10-20% discount from some stores, and I think I'll end up saving money buying the GW table as opposed to wasting my waking hours making a table to similar quality and ease of operation.

That's more or less my take on it. I know this new GW kit has stirred emotions on forums as well. I think it's cool that GW comes out with new useful kits now and again, this certainly is useful. Pricey, maybe a bit. Too expensive? Dunno, beats the kitched table, and also wasting hours with the jigsaw in the modelling area...

Stictly IMO.

Cheers
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Careful there Arcturus [and Duffman]. It's a matter of one's own preferences. I'd certainly rather build my own table for thirty bucks and two weeks work than spend several hundred on this. Also, I'd rather spend a couple months painting my army than pay someone like me six hundred to do it for me, but the guy who's paying me to do just exactly that doesn't see it that way.

I've tried to convince him to have a go at it himself, but he pretty much couldn't be sod with it. So I guess, if you've more money than modelling frenzy, the table is a good option. I don't understand why you woudn't want to make your own terrain, or indeed, paint your own models, but if you don't want to, then here's your answer, and enjoy. I'd never buy this myself, nor pay to have my models painted, but well, to each their own.

I dig what Arc is saying about durability. Having admitted that, you could build ten less durable tables for the same price, and they'll outlive one plastic one. Then again, it's not likely that your pit of skulls will look better than GW's, but if it does then more power to ya!
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

@Arnold Layne
Buying a box with the parts to make a gaming table is somehow different from buying a box with the parts to make miniatures? Also, your argument about not understanding why someone wouldn't want to make their own terrain or paint their own models fails. Just ask yourself why you don't make your own miniatures, and you know at least one answer to why some people choose to buy tables that are further premade than styrofoam sheets, or comissioned armies...

I think giving options for something easier is always a good thing. What irritates me is when people start some inane whining about being given a choise they don't need to take, but that's still there. Don't want to spend a few hundred on a table, fine. I think the issue here is that a lot of people would want the table, they just don't think the price is good. Which means GW has got a good product, some people just underappreciate the worth of it. I've made a gaming tables in my career, I'll hands down rather buy a plastic modular table that clips together nicely, than spend many an hour constructing something that is equally good. THE gaming table is the basis for this game, in essence a few hours or a few hundred bucks making one, shouldn't be a problem, whichever you choose. Or get the battlemat.

Anyway, I'm getting the table, I'll see if I can put up a thread about it once I get it underway, get a more intresting discussion up about it's appearance, utility and overall worth. I find it nice, that instead of wasting many hours on construction, I can waste those same hours on painting it really nicely. Maximum gaming enjoyment over a good looking table, and minimum time wasted in making it. That sounds good to me.
Duffman327
Executioner

Post by Duffman327 »

given the worlds economic crisis atm my bash at it was only at the price australia has to pay for it. i must say if our dollar (currnently trading at US67c approx) was better it probably would be a bit cheaper. i beleive GW OZ brought this splendid table into the country at the wrong time. for people who dont realise $450AU can buy you a car on the road for a year or even 1 years tuition or a ticket to climb sydneys harbour bridge with a little left over for the ferry and train ride back home.

it is a great looking table dont get me wrong and i would pay good money for it but not $450. sorry but thats my take on it.

just remember i whinge because of the OZ dollar
I am the Silent Wind of Doom... Whoosh!
Whiteface
Raider of the Lost Black Ark

Post by Whiteface »

I've been searching around the web for a close-up picture of this gameboard in an arctic painting scheme. I'm sure there has been a picture of it, but I can't find it anywhere (including the GW homepage...but that's not the best place to search for something).

Can somebody give me a link?
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I've seen the table at my GW. (my GW is doing a winter scheme, so I can try to take pics for you tomorrow Whiteface)

It is good, really good, You can set up the four hills in the centre to be one BIG hill, then add the GW small hill on top to make a mini mountain. I was really impressed.
Oh, there are also skulls in almost every crevasse, crack, and hillside. Good for a Chaos or Undead army, but somehow I don't see High Elves and Dwarf duking it out on a field of skulls...
It is very impressive, but like I said, WAY to expensive. If I were to get it, it would be with a group of 6 or more people to lighten the cost (about $50 Canadian each), and even then we don't have any terrain pieces to put on it, that would probably cost us another $20 each to get enough for a decent fantasy table.

Another neat idea we had was to divide it into it's 6 parts and each take home a square that we can paint to match our army, and use them as display tables.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Whiteface

Post by Whiteface »

Kefka wrote:I've seen the table at my GW. (my GW is doing a winter scheme, so I can try to take pics for you tomorrow Whiteface)

It is good, really good, You can set up the four hills in the centre to be one BIG hill, then add the GW small hill on top to make a mini mountain. I was really impressed.

---
Pics would be great! I am interested in arctic / winter schemes to get some inspiration for my own (non-GW) gameboard.

The picture i am searching for shows cracked ice with some blue or turqoise color in the cracks. Just want to ask someone if he can do something like this for less than one zillion euros / dollars...
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

I acctually really like this game board. I have hardly time to paint my miniatures, let alone creating a gaming board. This is exactly what I need. Dispite its cost I am willing to order it with a couple of terrain features. I do not have the space to create one of my own and therefor this is a great sollution. Yeah, I like it.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Whiteface

Post by Whiteface »

MDK wrote:I acctually really like this game board. I have hardly time to paint my miniatures, let alone creating a gaming board. This is exactly what I need. Dispite its cost I am willing to order it with a couple of terrain features. I do not have the space to create one of my own and therefor this is a great sollution. Yeah, I like it.
But for the same money you can get ready-to-play (grass, sand etc.) flat modular boards and a collection of ready-to-play scenery. 200 Euros should easily include delivery to the Netherlands (my terrainbuilder of choice is in Germany), but I guess you have some affordable, talented terrainbuilders too.

I have finally found the picture I was looking for, but Kefka, i am still interested in seeing some pictures of the table you were talking about.
Sorine
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sorine »

MDK wrote:I acctually really like this game board. I have hardly time to paint my miniatures, let alone creating a gaming board. .......

I'm not sure I understand this argument. You still have to paint the table, and add flock and any other details you want to it.
I made 2, 4'x4' tables. 1/2" Masonite board totally covered with a sand flock. Painted up to ash wastes. Purchased a City Sector box, and some other supplies. Built 7 ruins, 4 hills, and a variety of other odds and ends terrain. Cost me around 200$, mostly due to the City Sector.
I know its 40k, but its a good looking table, nothing is fixed into position, and it was cheaper than the GW one. It was rather rewarding to build it too.

Here are some more pictures of the full table. Last two are pretty blurry thanks to the excess light. A lot of terrain and such for less than 300$ CnD.
"Whatever I say, you will call a lie. Such a wonderful thought, isn't it my dear friend."
- Sorine Re'bane
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Wow, very good table! :shock:
It would be amazing to play 40K games there, I can imagine some nice city fighting!! :)
Making pieces movable is a must! You can change them every time for endless possibilities..
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net