Basing a modle...

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Gunner
Trainee Warrior

Basing a modle...

Post by Gunner »

Hey, I am relatively new to the Warhammer world, and am trying to get a comparative view at people's techniques of applying flock or texture to bases. I am currently having a little trouble with the technique someone from my local club mentioned.

Some things to focus on would be,

1. Pre or post base coat

2.Different materials (glues, flocks, ect...)

3. Ease

Thanks for your personal techniques in advance.

(I am looking to do a snowy style basing as I live in Canada and I love the snow =p and feel it looks really sick with them)
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

I usually glue my models to their bases first.
After that I apply some thinned woodglue (just add a bit of watter a 50/50 mix will do).
Then I take my sand and I drown the models base in the sand.
After that I shake off excess sand and when it's dry I undercoat the model.
When the whole model is painted (sand is really easy to drybrush), I use a varnish to protect the paint.
If the varnish is dry I add some static grass or small plants (I used aquarium plants for my lizardmen) to finish the model.
If you add the sand before the undercoat, the undercoat will help holding it in place.
I used to apply the sand after I painted the models, but then the sand came off to easy when I started to use the models in games.

Here you can see a prepared stegadon base (sand is glued and undercoated):

Here s the same base after the varnish

And this is what it looks like now

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I don't have fancy looking bases like One-S here, but I got some tricks.

I always but the model on first, then the basing.
If I'm using grass/snow I add it after I paint the model
If I'm using sand I add it before I paint/prime the model. Also, after I glue the sand on (and it dries) I go over it again with watered down PVA glue to help it stay in place.

And I almost never use one basing type (I.E. I use sand AND grass, or rocks AND snow) It helps diversify your models and makes them look a lot better. All you have to do is add the sand on the base first, paint up the model and sand as you would normally, then add snow/grass flock after.

Here's an example from some gnoblars I did long ago, compared to some I did a few months back:

It's easy to notice the difference in quality, and all I did was change how I based them.
If you want some examples of snow bases with sand flock, I'll try to get pics of my Dark Elves tomorrow (they're on display at a store right now). I used the same idea with the gnoblars, just different colours and with snow flock.

Oh! and as for material. I don't use the GW flock, too small, overpriced, and low quality. I use either Woodland Scenics snow (same price as the GW snow, but in 32 oz. container, so 15X more) or Gale Force Nine sand and static grass.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

I'm just a bog standard baser. Two coats of a Goblin Green shad around the base. Model is already stuck on. After I've painted the sides, I just put craft glue over the top and sit the model in a pot of fine sand I have and shake it off :)

U
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

I wrote an article about making easy goodlooking bases. You can check it out here:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=58426

And please, don't paint your base rims green. That's so 1990s.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Dark angel green's pretty good for some colour schemes and basing themes, though.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

What can I say? I'm a child of 4th Gen :)

(and 2nd Gen for round based shenanigans).

U
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Basically, there are two parts to consider when basing.

1: Material. This ranges from simple stuff like Flock or Static Grass and ends up complex like general purpose fillers and complex baking-soda based snow mixtures. There are pros and cons to each type. I tend to stick small tufts of Static Grass on pretty much everything.

2: Colour. This should be a relatively dull tone compared to the miniature itself. You're trying to make the miniature stand out, not to distract attention from it. Currently I'm finding a Scorched Brown base with Graveyard Earth wet-brush looks good, and a smidge of a Kommando Khaki drybrush on raised areas helps imeasurably.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

I use sand from a beach and snow flock / static grass.
Steps: Cover base with PVA glue
Dip in Sand bath
Paint (after its dry) black basecoat (with the model thats going ontop of it), scorched brown, heavily drybrush snakebite leather, lightly dry brush bleached bone.
Select areas to cover with PVA, then dip in modelling flock and or static grass.

Simple! Here's a little something from same time last year (it was still WIP at the time so it hasn't got the flock or the bleached bone dry brush)
ImageImage