[BLOG] Sarcon's Druchii! Updated May 8: Pic Heavy Army Shot

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Haven't looked in here for a while...

Nice poses on the Shades, and real good work making clothes for your Master on Liz Zard. Your greenstuff work is getting pretty clever. Keep it up!
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Post by Enfant terrible »

Lovely! I really like your models - especially your efforts on the dragon! Beautiful.
"... Why so serious? ..."
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

The shades are very nice! The third one's right arm (the one reaching behind) looks like it needs a little Green touch up though - there appears to be a gap where it meets the torso.

Paint the assassin! They're fun and killy!
ImageImage
Druchii_jesse
Warrior

Post by Druchii_jesse »

i like your shades, i was going to amek some almost exactly the same but the glade guard i got in a trade didn't have hooded heads 'i was mad but it was my fault for not asking'.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Yo Sarcon:

I'm really enjoying this thread. Great stuff and lots of photos.

I really like the shades. Very nice.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

You guys are all to kind :) . Thank you so much for all the replies.

Seeing the Assassin got the most votes, the shades and their secret, but killy friend will be first up to get painted. After that I'll do the Master on Cold One, and last, the RBT (I don't know what colour to give the wood :S ).

@ JRG - I think I could only amaze you guys if I ever finish painting something. I'm so much more of a builder, than a painter. Yet painting has to be done now (Not that there's an excuse otherwise, to not do it :lol:).
Cold ones aren't that bad to paint actually. I "wetbrush" the scales, and then wash them with a mix of thraka green+devlan mud. Turns out pretty well, if I may say so myself :D .

@ Ampao - Feel free to nick my idea for the RBT :P . It's the reason why I post my stuff here, for the feedback I get to keep me motivated, and to show an example of modelling tricks/solutions I did, and of course, to motivate others aswel!.

@ Seralkith - I will paint their base edges black. My whole army has black base edges, so why should I make an exception on the RBT crew? :P
Funny that you see my inspiration for this model. I indeed based his pose on the WE noble with GW. Sadly, if I will turn him around, his cape will look odd, because now it hangs down vertically to one side, to have the fold in the cape look natural (otherwise the cape would have been moving in the wrong direction). His GW was made from a RXB held in two hands (the "aiming" one) from the warrior sprue, with a blade from the warrior champ pinned at the end. And vote #2 for the assassin.

@ Notts - Shhh, don't tell them they wear HE cloaks - they might think it's a disgrace to wair a traitor's cloak! :lol:

@ Layne - Welcome back to my blog! Thanks for the compliment on the greenstuffing. I only went from filling gaps to actual sculpting on this army. I was already feeling that I was improving, so it's nice to get this comfirmed from someone else. The master on cold one was my first attempt on sculpting cloth, by the way. Thanks for your comlpiment!

@ Enfant Terrible - Thanks for the compliment. I really like the way my dragon looks so far, but I absolutely hate the scales. I'll try to get a tiny spark of motivation to get him finished by the end of December.

@ Mnesthius - I already filled that gap, I think. But it could also be a combination of bad focus + lightfall. I'll check it out later today. Thanks for the compliment! Vote #3 for the Assassin!

@ Druchii_Jesse - Where are you from? I got a few spare heads... If it's not too far away I could send them for free.

@ Lion of Flanders - Yo Lion! Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

I hereby also allow you guys to come over to Holland and beat me up if the next update is non-painty :P

And again, thanks for all the kind replies. You guys make it all worth the effort of keeping my blog updated.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

They look totally as shades..good work Sarcon...
dont stop we want to see more !! lol
Death before dishonor
Druchii_jesse
Warrior

Post by Druchii_jesse »

I live in the USA so a good ways away lol.
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Lord Azoth - Thanks, I won't stop yet! Still much to be done...

@ Druchii_Jesse - Ah, yea, that's pretty far indeed...

Anyways, update. Just a single group shot. Would you guys care for single model close ups?

I really wanted to paint the assassin first, but then realised a tip from a mate of mine "paint characters lastly, that's more rewarding than to paint the fun stuff first, and then the boring stuff left to do". So I took his advice (I could use a little practice before starting on the assassin anyways, since I have not painted in a while again), so here's my fruit of labour!

As usual, C&C is appreciated. I have the assassin primed and ready for some paint, so he'll be following shortly!
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

How do you do that pink skin? It looks quite unique and makes for perfect contrast against blue.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

The dude on the left looks like hs is falling off his rock!
apart from that, I like them :)
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really nice painting... perfect shadows
Death before dishonor
Zekk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Zekk »

izirath wrote:How do you do that pink skin? It looks quite unique and makes for perfect contrast against blue.

I think he does the pink kinda colour with purple ink trough his paint but i dont know it for sure
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Izirath - the skin recipy I use is easy, but unusual.

I base the skin colour with Dheneb stone, leaving the eyes and line in between the lips black, then I was it it Ogryn flesh, then a small highlight of dheneb stone on the cheeckbones, nose, forehead, chjin, etc, and then a wash of leviathan purple. It suited my idea of using and abusing as much of the GW washes and Foundation paints as I possibly can :lol:

@ Notts - I know he looks odd. Could we exchange the statement "falling" into "WS5 headchoppin' "? ;)

@ Lord Azoth, thanks a lot, I was really afraid they would look too much like wood elves. That's why I didn't use the glade guard capes to start with.

@ Zekk, close. Not through my paint, but a wash afterwards ;)

Have to go now, got an Assassin to paint 8)
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

I think I like the shade reaching for his sword the most, cool pose! Nice job man, very inspirational!
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

That's a damned good recipe. Might have to give it a go sometime. Thanks!
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Sword of the hag
Warrior

Post by Sword of the hag »

Hi Rick! You're shades look awesome! Nice conversions! :D So what kind of assasin are you gonna use? Scratch build? or a existing model of the GW range? We keep in Touch!

Greetz Vincent
Druchii_jesse
Warrior

Post by Druchii_jesse »

My favorite is the one 2nd to the left grabbing his sword, and ironically enough we have the same skin recipe mine just has skill issues holding it back lol.
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Post by Enfant terrible »

Yet again I'm pretty impressed with 1). The speed at which you're painting your miniatures and 2). The quality of the minis painted. Only concern here is the rocks for the shades - they look like they were made in a hurry!!?
"... Why so serious? ..."
Zekk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Zekk »

@ sword of the hag
I tough he is using the model you also use the 1 jumping and reaching with 1 hand to his rending stars
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Thanks for the recipe man! Gotta try it, it sure does take the new colors in advantage, which I totally love.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Silar
Cold One Knight

Post by Silar »

Sarcon your shades are the bomb, they look kinda ninja-ish i like them. You said you made them from DE warrior bitz and Glade warrior bitz? How did you do the swords they look great too.
Kudos on all your minis.
Silar
Kelthahir
Corsair

Post by Kelthahir »

Excellent work, once again :).
When I find time (and money) I will probably make similar shades

Btw.: Are the Glade guards with hoods still for sale somewhere? I can't find them in the online-shop (sorry if this is a noobish question, but I've never bought wood elf stuff)
Last edited by Kelthahir on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Nice looking shades you got there Sarcon :D ! Great conversion and nice painting (as always). You are one of the few painters who keep me inspired, too bad you live all the way up in Rotterdam, I'd love to meet you and paint/convert a day :( ...
Ah well, keep the good work up, looking forward to next pics!
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Xticx - Thanks for the comliment, so many replies already! I'm glad you like the shades!

@ Layne - Go try it out, works like a treat. Show me a photo or two when you've tried it, I'm curious how it looks in someone else's painting style!

@ Sword of the Had - Hey Vincent! How's things going mate? :P - The assassin will be "Assassin 2" from the GW range (trying to get motivated to paint him). But converting one from plastics sounds definetly like a good idea too. I'll see you around!

@ Druchii_jesse - Really? That's odd :). I'm glad you like the shades too. The most important part of painting the skin is that you don't have to bee too shy with your Ogryn Flesh wash. You want as much contrast in there as possible, without ruining the rest of your paint work. When that has dried up, the most important part is putting the highlights on the right parts. After that it's easy, just a purple wash/glaze over the entire skin area, without making the skin look too purple!

@ Enfant Terrible - The picture is a bit overlit, I'll take pictures of how they look on the table top next friday (if I don't have to work, that is).

@ Zekk - Yes, "Assassin 2" from the GW range, I'll see you around too :P

@ Izirath - That was one of the themes of my army. It makes army building so much easier, I'll definetly keep on using this technique (there goes proper painting out the window :lol:). Glad the recipe is of some help.

@ Silar - The blades are the ones from the DE Warrior sprue (for champion's, etc, 1 per sprue) with extended handles to make them look like great weapons, because the blade is large enough already.
The paintjob is 1) Base with Chainmail, 2) Wash with Badab Black (thouroughly), and 3) Highlight all edges and curves with chainmail, and paint small "jagged" stripes on the cutting part of the blade.

@ Kelthahir - Thank you very much :) - The bits aren't for sale anymore, seperatly. I bought a box of gladeguard for this conversion, I needed the legs and heads from the boxed set anyways (+ you got a few additional bits, to build assassins and stuff! :) )

@ Farodin - That's a great compliment, you humble me :) . Oh well, if you're ever around, I'm usually at GW Rotterdam on Fridays/Friday evenings.

Now, that my army is almost finished, I had a very busy weekend (having my birthday, etc) I'm trying to find some motivastion to paint the assassin I don't think I can stand another cloak after those :lol: But promise makes guild, I will paint him ASAP.

Thanks for all your replies. You're all too kind for me :) On to the next update!