[BLOG] Sarcon's Druchii! Updated May 8: Pic Heavy Army Shot

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

All your work is great, but I like the DR conversions especially. Where did you get the horses to do the conversion with? Did you just buy a lot of chariot boxes, or get the horses some other way, as the first option seems a bit of a waste and I'd be really interested in trying to make my own DR like that.
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

LoDark, there is an ebay store called hoard o bits.
This sells tons of plastic sprue bits separated into components. It is based in America, but ships worldwide. I ordered stuff from there, and it is fine.
here is a link to some chariot horses!
(although don't know if Sarcon has other methods)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARHAMMER-BITS-HI ... m153.l1262
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

wow, that's handy. Ty for the link.
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Adreal_the_immaculate
Assassin

Post by Adreal_the_immaculate »

Hey, nice conversions, and the paint scheme works and if its quick then that's a plus.

I like what you've donw with the cold one knights, makes the armour look heavier, and using hte new cold ones on the chariot helps tie it to your army.

Masticore conversion looks good so far, cept for the lion head, but maybe when it's painted will really sell the model
its not the lies that you say, but what the silence will scream
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Thanks for all the replies again, it keeps my engine fuled with motivation. I'll try to be strong to night and not watch CSI, and get some painting done tonight, (but god, I love that TV show! :lol: ). I've "borrowed" the scheme from Ampao for my Cold Ones. Awesome scheme that is, looks really neat, and minimum painting effort.

@ Notts - I haven't tried PVAing my cork, but I asume the cork will get rather moist if you PVA it to the base, mainly because it works like a spunge pretty much. I usually just use superglue because it dries so much faster and is stuck on really well. Again minimum timeframe to get bases done faster ;) .

@ LoDark - A friend of mine fields 2 lion chariots in his HE army. I bought a chariot myself for the CoC + manticore conversion, so I had 2 horses aswel, and managed to buy 3 from a mate of mine. I would really like to have a second unit, but I can't be arsed to buy 3 HE chariots for that, so I'll maybe try the e-bay link Notts posted.

@ Adreal_the_immaculate - The chariot is a plastic High Elf Lion/Tiranoc chariot, with spikey bits and schythed weels pinned on, and a crew swap, with plastic cold ones in front. Easiest thing there is to build (well, the crew was a bit annoying though).

About the manticore, the original manticore head really is butt ugly, so you can't really make a manticore look worse :lol: . But seriously, I really like the way he looks so far. A lot more natural than the original sculpt. I'll try to have him painted next month.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

I went out and bought some glue. I live about 3 minutes away from my local GW, which is 3 minutes away from this model store, which is a lot cheaper to buy modeling stuff!
I made some bases. I don't like them as much as yours, because they look like they are wading through the stuff, instead of walking on it.
and also my cork was only 1/4 inch thick (couldn't find thicker) so doesn't look as good. I dont want to keep hijacking your thread, so I think Im going to start my own blog.
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Noitts - Ah, I'll do another few WIP shots of how I make these bases with models on. I thought it would be helpful like this, but I'll correct my error tonight or tomorrow.
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

Sarcon, it was helpful, I'm just saying I dont think mine look as good as yours!
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Notts - The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? Well, it's painty time now, off to finish the first three cold one knights. I've put on In Flames' green album (In Flames is the music I usualy paint too, listening to In Flames therefore puts me into a painting mood. It's all psychological :) ).
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Update! I've painted the first three knights. I really dislike painting cold ones, they take up a lot of time. Yet I do like how they turned out. Credits to Ampao for the green-yellow cold one scheme.

Now that you've skipped reading the intro, on to the pictures! :P

Again, C&C is appreciated. I'll try to have the next two cold ones done by tuesday. Them washes take up a lot of time to dry, etc.
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

Nice! In Flames helps yield good results. All that time on the COs was well spent. Only thing I would suggest is maybe a quick wsh of a brown on the CO legs as the black makes it look a bit incomplete.
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

I really like your cold one skin!
but the Knights armour looks quite flat.
Rising son
Cold One Knight

Post by Rising son »

Nice work mate, especially the Cold Ones.

I agree with Notts though. Maybe the Knights' armour needs a lighter edge highlight or something just to finish them off.

By the way, what is middle Knight carrying in his left hand?
"I can't believe you think I'm a liar. Sure I make random stuff up, but I'm not a liar."
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Nice work Sarcon - don't you hate the join in the centre of the knight's shoulder armour? It's really hard to hide with green stuff, I don't understand why it was not cast as one piece with the join running around the back of the armour plate. Anyhoo you've got some really nice units coming together.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Rising Son wrote:By the way, what is middle Knight carrying in his left hand?

Thats a musician horn :)
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

No update! Sorry guys, but I decided since I have a deadline (next saturday the army @ 500pts has to be done!).

@ Seralkith - In Flames for the win, eh? :) . The cold ones have been washed twice actually, the second wash was a mix of thraka green and devlan mud, so it is in fact a really dark greenish brown in the recesses. I like the extreem shade. Looks really good from tabletop distance.

@ Notts and Rising Son - Thanks about the compliment. About the armor, this is where I save a lot of time. It's just a single flat layer, washed once. Im not planning on highlighting it, besides, they're varnished already. The picture is a bit dark though, it makes it seem more flat than it really is. And yes, Rising Son, as Deroth says, it is a musician's horn in the middle knight's hand.

Would you guys like it if I would write a battlereport + photos from the tourney to where I am going? It's 500 pts doubles, nothing fancy. Yet still a lot of fun!
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

Sarcon wrote:
Would you guys like it if I would write a battlereport + photos from the tourney to where I am going? It's 500 pts doubles, nothing fancy. Yet still a lot of fun!

yes.
battle reports are always cool, plus I really like your army ;)

What is your 500 point list?
CoK, DR, RXBmen and a fairly plain master?
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

My 500 pts list is:

Master on dark steed, HA, and lance (I had a 100 point limit)

5 Dark Riders with xbows and music

5 Harpies

5 Cold one knights, FC, Banner of Slaughter and Sword of might on the champion

The rulepack is:

-No hero over 100 points (Yes, tomb kings and VC, and all you -elf players, you are screwed!)
-1 core choice minimum
-No more than 4 wounds/model
-Only one special OR rare choice.

Need to get back to painting now!
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

Good lookin' cold ones, the colorscheme works nicely. The headswap to warrior heads is intresting, gives them an intresting look IMO. The greyblue cloth could as endge highlight IMO, would make it look just a bit less flat. Same with the grey armor.

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Arcturus - Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated. They needed to be done fast, hence no highlight on the armour, and just a single highlight on the cloth. I really did not expect to get such a compliment from you.

@ Notts - I completely forgot about the battle report. I'm sort of in a hurry now, so I'll write a report (forgot to make pictures!), and post it later tonight, or tomorrow.

The Dutch Frenzy! 2008 was a fun day. Played 3 short games, one against a really cheesy army, but they guys who played the army were nice enough.

Picked up the new Khorne terminator lord at the FW stand, bought the new horu heresy book, picked up a HE dragon kit with a 20% discount (I got such an awesome conversion in my head, don't know wether it will work out yet though), and.... I got nominated for best painted army!

The votes for Best Painted WFB Army tied, so I won the title together with a nice guy I know from my local GW. Anyways, update: The units you guys have not yet seen completed!

Master on Dark Steed:

Cold One Knight Champion:

Cold One Knight Banner:

Knights together as a unit:

Knights including the Master
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

wow, those Knights really are stunning! I love the character on the dark steed too, this is the first time i have taken the time to properly look around your blog and i must say i am very impressed with it, the last picture just above this post is my favorite by far :) nice work on the manticore too!
Western elf
Corsair

Post by Western elf »

The hero on a horse looks great, and so does the cold one unit! :)
your western homes are locked forever
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Fulgrim - Thanks, glad you like it! I might get the manticore painted this month for the upcoming painting comp in my local GW (nice deadline). But building a new dragon is quite tempting aswel. I'm off to my local GW, have to drop off my army for display in their cabinet. It has to be there for a month, so it's time for me to build another 500 point chunk, and build up to 1,000 points!

Western Elf: Thanks, I'm really happy how they turned out myself too.

Any tips on what to do next? Paint the Manticore or build the Dragon?
Western elf
Corsair

Post by Western elf »

Paint the manticore, I think.
your western homes are locked forever
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

Love your steed master. he is awesome.
manticore!!!