[BLOG] Sarcon's Druchii! Updated May 8: Pic Heavy Army Shot

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kelthahir
Corsair

Post by Kelthahir »

So the hoods are in every box of the Glade Guard? *hopes*
:)
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Kelthahir - Yes, there are four hooded heads, and four bare heads in the Glade Guard sprue.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Mathegrub
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mathegrub »

I really like the dynamism of the shades' poses, good work. Much more interesting than the metal ones.
With such small units, you could afford to bend your rules about speed painting just a touch; one single highlight on the cloaks would add 1-2 minutes per model, and on a unit of 5 guys that would be a lot of extra reward for a very small amount of effort. Remember what people will look at on the gaming table; the scratch-built units, and the elite units, and the scratch-built elite units especially! Show them some love...

Otherwise, I think they're great. Keep it up!
Faulkynn grom
Corsair

Post by Faulkynn grom »

Kelthahir wrote:So the hoods are in every box of the Glade Guard? *hopes*
:)

Sarcon wrote:@ Kelthahir - Yes, there are four hooded heads, and four bare heads in the Glade Guard sprue.

Actually, there are 5 hooded heads and 6 bare heads per Glade Guard sprue. So a regiment box will net you 20 hooded/24bare GG heads. Hope that helps.

FG
Kelthahir
Corsair

Post by Kelthahir »

Thank you very much, I'm going to buy some next month, I think ;-)
Druchii_jesse
Warrior

Post by Druchii_jesse »

just thought i woul tell anyone who is going to be doing this, i got my guys in today and it isn't a real easy conversion, does take some work and probably skill.

Should alos mention technically mine are much different lol. I am using corsair handbows and glade guard torsos and all sorts of other things.
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Another update. I eventually decided I really did not like the way my Master on Cold One looked. So, I torn him apart, clipped the body off of the sea dragon cloak, used a cold one knight body, added some more dymension to the greenstuffed cloak, and changed the pose completely! Enough blahblah, on to the pictures :lol:

And this is how he looked before:

Much better? :)

Again, C&C is appreciated.

P.S. Assassin is done for about 40%. It's a real easy model to paint. No picture of him, sadly. Will finish him up soon. I cannot say exactly when, maybe around christmas (the week before is very busy for me)
Sathnir tempestmaster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sathnir tempestmaster »

Yeah, much better, although the intiial effort wasn't bad.

Now its harder to see his constituent parts, and he looks more noble and less of a corsair, losing the topknot and sublte changes to the SDC helped.

Looking forward to seeing him painted.
Sathnir Tempestmaster
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Post by Enfant terrible »

I think he looks amazing - but then again all your stuff does; so nothing new here ;)
"... Why so serious? ..."
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

I like the new head as his hair is now blowing the correct way ;)

I also see you're a fan of the finger pointing Lords. Be careful not to over do it other wise it'll loose the effect.

Out of curiosity how did you bend the seadragon cloak like so? Did you apply heat or something?
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

you are really improving your GS skills..nice conversion, really better than previous one..

good work mate!!!
Death before dishonor
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

That noble looks even better Sarcon, really nice 8) . I also look forward to seeing that guy painted.

@Seralkith: He does it with a lighter ;) .
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Sathnir Tempestmaster - I have been looking at the old master for a while and I did like the style of the conversion, but I did not like the pose at all. So I'm glad you agree with the improvement. I'm really pleased with the way the conversion worked out. Hope this will motivate me to paint him aswel, :lol:

@ Enfant Terrible - Thanks a lot for your compliment :)

@ Seralkit - Ah yes, the new head is a lot better. I was converting a manticore for a friend of mine, when I suddenly saw that the head bit of the beastmaster (horrible model, apart from the head) was a loose bit. So, at home, I tore my master apart, just to fit on a new head. When I noticed I was only ruining the model, I decided to rebuild the entire body.
Yes, I used a lighter to bend the SDC, but a hot lamp is a lot better to do this sort of thing. Sadly I do not have a lamp that gets hot enough, so it's a lighter for me. I haven;t tried boiling water yet, does anyone know wether that's worth a shot?

And yes, pointy fingers for the win. Only two heroes in my army have a pointy finger. I think it perfectly illustrates the Druchii arrogance of the nobles.

@ Lord Azoth - I bought two new sculpting tools, to take my GS skills a step further. At an art store near my local GW I bought a sculpting tool a lot simular to the "Wax 5", and a "colour shaper" brush. Colour shaper tools are meant for painting. These are "brushes" with rubber tips, and great for sculpting (sculpting cloth, smoothing things out, removing fingerprints, etc). Thanks for the reply

And thank you all for motivating me a bit more to slap some paint on my army. I really need to get this done :)
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I like the new bigger sea dragon cloak, it looks more protecty. Unmodified, they always look a little like they wouldn't actually wrap around, which was one of the finer points of the old corsairs. This is a good conversion.

Bravissimo.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Sarcon wrote: and a "colour shaper" brush. Colour shaper tools are meant for painting. These are "brushes" with rubber tips, and great for sculpting (sculpting cloth, smoothing things out, removing fingerprints, etc). Thanks for the reply

I have some of them and are fantastic for GS.. really a good buy
Death before dishonor
Invinciblebug
Slave on the Altar

Post by Invinciblebug »

Really good choice on the head there, looks amazing!

Your shades are truly inspiring too, great painting and converting as always. Don't forget to paint the dragon we're all waiting to see how it turns out. No pressure... Not at all... :twisted:
If the world didn't suck we would all fall of.
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Layne - I didn't really modify much about the SDC, I merely used heat to bend the SDC, and clipped off the top, and resculped the top of the SDC after glueing it to the CoK body. Thanks for the compliment :)

@ Lord Azoth - Yes, they take 5 mins to get used to, after that they're great!

@ Invincible Bug - Thank you, I'll probably start on the Drag soon again. Pics will follow briefly.

But for now, [size= really big]Merry Christmas![/size] to all of you!
Dannyisevil
Shade

Post by Dannyisevil »

Merry X-mas.

Nice army you are making Sarcon.
The convertions are very good and collour theme is very nice.
So much good things too see.

Keep the good wok going!
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

Yes I have to agree with most everyone on the army. Very well put together and your GSing is amazing. Something I have just now started to appreciate. Will the wings be changed on the dragon or will you keep them the same from the box?
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

May I use your idea for my master on CO Sarcon? Because I don't think the dreadlord on CO looks that Druchii :roll: and your's does!
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

@ Dannyisevil - Things are turning out very well lately. I had my little dip, but I played a 2250 point game with my army, nearly won (first 2250 pt game I ever played, tbh, never played above 1k). Sadly my lord died (black dragon, pendant, crimson death, armour of e. servitude). He firstly got 2 wounds because of a casket of souls (he threw 11 on two dice!), failed regeneration twice, then on the last turn, 3 chariots charged my Lord because I lacked DD (epic fail!), survived the impact hits and most attacks, then a skeletal steed did the last wound on my lord. Failed both armour, ward and regeneration save :lol:!. Quite lame to have an undead WS2 horse kill my 560ish point lord, hehe. Even though the best part of the game was shooting away a 20 man skeleton unit + hierophant (hydra, 2 RBT, 3 shades and 5 moved dark riders @ long range). Thank you for the compliment about my modelling and painting. It's much appreciated. So, now that I have new motivation because the army works, I will finish the last few layers on the assassin and paint the RBT asap.

@ Dictator - You don't know how much I appreciate all the positive comments about my GSing. I know I've improved quite a bit on this army, but I didn't know everyone was so amazed(proper word?) by it. Thanks a lot for the compliment!

@ Farodin - Feel free to nick the idea. There's a small book at the waist where the torso needs to be attatched that can be clipped off. I could not be arsed to greenstuff that away so I glued a blade scabbard over it :lol:. Apart from that the conversion is quite easy, all that may be difficult is bending the cloak with head (hot lamp or lighter works best), and greenstuffing cloth onto the flat area on the hero's right flank. Post some pictures when you've built it!
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

UPDATE (you guys must have thought I was dead or something :lol:). Threadomancy for the win!

I finished the assassin, he keeps on chipping even after 3 thin varnish layers. Pics are crappy but they'll do for now. I'll take better ones when my camera's fixed (need to take it back to the store for minor lense repair).

So, pictures :D

Yes, yes, I missed a moldline, bottom hood :P

pics are overlit and make the model seem to be a bit more shiny than he actually is.

C&C is appreciated, as usual, and I'm trying to get myself motivated to paint the last 5 units for 2250 points.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Looks awesome Sarcon. Love the use of the dark colors
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

:shock: woooow that assassin is amazing, love the colour scheme , was it easy to do that paint job cause it looks hard.

The master is awesome too by the way, i also liked the beastmaster head but not the face so much i really like the hair.
well anyway i wanted to on my master on a CO but i wanted it to have longer hair than was on the dreadlord models - more of the length of the beast master hair, so i wondering if u had any ideas on how to fix this. Also ive nevered used green stuff before and i guessed hair would be very hard to do.

cheers for any help you can give, and once again awesome army!!!
Somwhere out there is Inquisitor Horatio Caine investigating cults of slaanesh
Caine looks around seeing bits of cultists on the ground
Inq Caine: Well it looks like these cultists
*puts on glasses*
Inq Caine: Have gone to pieces
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

Welcome back 8) , had you not said anything about the mold line I would not have noticed hehe. What is next on the list?