Painting the COB

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Painting the COB

Post by Demetrius »

Well the time has come. After about half a year of owning the Cauldron, Ive decided to get off my lazy a** and paint it. However I have no idea how to paint it.

The rest of my army is painted black armour with mithril silver edgings and chainmail, ultramarine blue leather/ clothes, and then asurman blue wash over everything but the skin (blue elves... no thanx).

I have no idea how to incorporate this onto the Cauldron. Any thoughts?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Assuming you have the statue-cauldron and not the old cauldron-on-wheels, there are a few common styles people paint them. They try and copy the green marble effect on the box, they paint it metallic (for you that would be black with mithril silver endging) with gold highlights, or stone (dark grey with light grey highlights. Coolminiornot doesn't have many inspiring pictures nor does this site to be honest. It's just not a really great model. If I had the skill (which I don't) I'd paint it like black onyx but getting that extreme level of highlighting is really tough. Post up what you come with and good luck!!
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

http://home.cogeco.ca/~dweldon8/Mini%20 ... aecd4a.jpg

How about the carnosaurs colorscheme for the statue (asuming you have the statue version of the CoB).
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Yes I have the statue version.

Ive considered painting it stone or full metalic, but yeah, not sure how to do it. If anyone has any pictures of their COB for inspiration it would be much appreciated.

One-s: I dont see that paint job on the COB. However its a really nice conversion, is it yours?
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

No, it's not my work, but I'm considering something similar for my new black dragon.

I don't think it will be of any use for you, but here's a picture of my cauldron of blood:

A nice and easy way to do metallics that look oldish is using a verry light silverish color (like mithril silver from GW) as a base color. Then apply a heavy wash of GW's badab lack wash followed by a even heavier wash of GW's Gryphonne Sephia wash.
Make shure you let each layer dry before you start the next.
The result is pretty cool.

Here're some pics of a cold one knight that I just gave that threatment:

The knight will get some final highlights here and there with mithril silver and his armour will be done.

Don't be afraid to experiment!
I use old models for colortesting.
Here they 're, the bravest little toy soldiers around. They will randomly fall victim too my undecisiveness:

If they're all messed up, I just give them a new layer of undercoat. It's a simple way of testing if a certain colorscheme or painting technique gives the desired results.

This's the best advice I can give you. Take some old models and use them for testing techniques and colorschemes, before you start painting your center piece.

I hope this will be of any use.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Thanx mate, Ill look into that painting scheme. I love your Cauldron too its sweet :P