Dryads, misc WE stuff and VC Wight BSB... 21.03

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Dryads, misc WE stuff and VC Wight BSB... 21.03

Post by Arcturus »

Just some stuff I've been slowly dredging forward... :P

Changed the eye colors to a slightly greener blue, pops a bit more.
Wildrider, base not quite done.
Wardancers, still a bit WIP

VC Wight Bsb

Cheers
Last edited by Arcturus on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

You my friend are a constant source of inspiration. You -almost- make me want to paint my damn harpies that are taking way too much time, and i dont have time, and i cant be bothered, and they look silly anyway, and what with the scales, and grey is boring and.......

Ok il go paint my harpies.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Jarbo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jarbo »

wow that BSB is simple AMAZING! i wish i had a fraction of your painting skills
W-L-D 2-0-0
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

The wooden detail on the dryads is a nice touch, always enjoy seeing people do that as it adds another dimension to the models. I like the dryad centaur too, original idea or "borrowed" 8) ? And home-made wardancers, thats the first time I've seen those! Only suggestion is more depth to the white cloth and the guy with white hair, it needs a little shading or something.

BSB is nice too, the purple tinge to the armour is nice and the stains on the green-grey areas is nice too.

Overall very nice, keep the good work coming!

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Well done indeed. Any chance of a tutorial about how you created that banner?
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Love your wildrider conversion :D
Centaur-Dryad :)
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Kragg the dragon lord
Cold One Knight

Post by Kragg the dragon lord »

Damn man...

Great stuff, just beautifull.

I'm also gonna make the Wild Riders using Dryads but I was not sure how they could turn out, and you just showed me how good the can look.

Again, great stuff.

Kragg
"Mine","Oi ! ", "Gerroff ! ", "I saw it first..."
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

It looks a bit like the Dryad is a bit too small for that horse - of course I can hardly imagine an alternative, but it's still a neat idea. But your wight is an excellent misuse of the General's horse, well made that is, and well painted too. Did you sculpt directly over the horses scraped knees, or did you cut away some first?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

@Comrade Igor
I'm happy to be able to inspire. :)

@Lonely Shade
Dryad Centaurs is not my idea, I just made it with a slight twist of my own. Never seen harlequin wardancers tho, might be first, tho you never know, and I don't really care about that. I just want cool looking stuff, so I try to borrow good ideas if I see any, and make up any ideas I can, maybe I can return the favor to the community with borrowable ideas. :D

@Dark Alliance
Well, I painted a "circle" in the middle, as it is the focal point of the banner. Then I painted the haze that surrounds the circle, just by normally layering highlights. After that I painted the moon, with the same color as the haze, just adding more white. After that, I painted the castle etc over the moon and haze. Added a whiteish liner on the banner, to make it look "ornamental".
The basecolor for the haze is knarloc green, with some bleached bone added. I added white to the mix for the moon. It's a very simple image to paint, a circle and a sideview of a castle, with some added highlights. The biggest "problem" is the castle, you just have to do it and not think about ruining the moon and background you just painted on. Might be an idea to paint a some guidelines for your castle before you flesh it out, lessens the chanse of messing up. :) If you have some specific questions about some specific area or color, shoot more questions.

@Layne
I don't think the dryad is too small. I was rather afraid that the dryad would be too large, the smaller the torso is, the more powerful the overall creature looks. The last thing I'd want is the look of a bodybuilder with the body of a pony... The dryads maintain a pretty dynamic look and nicely proportioned, since they are just a bit taller than a dryad with legs. That's my view on it at least. :) The wight horse "rotten parts" is just something I did with my modelling knife straight into the plastic, no actual cutting or stuffing, just "sculpting plastic". I've done it for so long, I've become pretty good at modifying plastic by different methods of scraping, cutting, chiseling etc... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the positive feedback. Should have a unit of wildriders and dryads up next weekend.

Cheers
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Arcturus wrote:Dryad Centaurs is not my idea, I just made it with a slight twist of my own. Never seen harlequin wardancers tho, might be first, tho you never know, and I don't really care about that. I just want cool looking stuff, so I try to borrow good ideas if I see any, and make up any ideas I can, maybe I can return the favor to the community with borrowable ideas. :D

Couldnt agree more. Great way of thinking.

Awesome stuff man. The Dryad Centaurs are great. The bodies are certainly not too small. I made Centigor from Wood Elf Steeds and Daemonette Torsos and that worked out fine aswell.

The freehanded banner is simply stunning, and the converted Harlequin Wardancers are an obvious conversion that actually I dont think Ive seen done (so maybe not that obvious!).

Keep it up!
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Great work!

I especially like Dryads and Wildrider. I simply adore their 'autumn' and slightly mystic feel. They are something... different than Dryads I seen so far, mysterious and dangerous (those eyes) creatures of wood - very believable.

Your models are prime example of cool, well executed ideas together with really good paint job. Congratulations, awaiting for more.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

I love your work, especially the wardancers and your basing. I'll be watching this thread!
Sword of the hag
Warrior

Post by Sword of the hag »

The dryads look awesome, I really like you colour sceme, how did you paint the dryads? My problem is most time choosing the right colours.
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

2nd Treeman converted, ready for paint. Gotta toss in some GS at a few places, but that's just minor stuff, before basecoating. The rocky stuff under the foot will also be mostly covered up by sand and grass etc...
ImageImage

Cheers
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Really liking that treeman!
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really nice all your minis!!..love your conversions...and your painting skills are awesome..keep on surprising me plz
Death before dishonor
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

And this was made how?! Looks fantastic, where on earth did you find the pieces to make it?

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Looks like the GW forest scenery cut up and glued together in bipedal form ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

Dalamar is right, the treeman is made from the GW citadel woods plastic kit. :)
Here's a pic of the 1st treeman.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/ ... front1.jpg

Cheers
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I like all of your stuff because it has a really subdued "realistic" look to it. I really dig the "cool" tone of all the color schemes.

OK, so what all do you have going on on your bases? They look terrific. I don't know what I'm doing next army project-wise, but they'll have a fall theme like what you have here.

Looking forward to more photos....

...and wardancers are metal, I presume?
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

@LoF
The bases have a small grain sand(like GWs sand) and then I use a modelling kit with just basic rubble(somewhat close to the GW larger sand/rubble/gravel). I do some random areas with the larger rubble, and then add the sand. I water down some PVA glue and put some oregano(yes, I got spices on my modelling acessories shelf) into the glue. Mix it up, let the oregano soak in the watered down pva, then add the oregano along with watered down PVA glue blob onto the base, the PVA constricts as it dries and ties the oregano down on the base nicely enough. The PVA also protects the oregano so it's not brittle and falls off during gameplay. The dryads don't yet have static grass, but I'm adding it later, it's going to be painted to look like dead grass(obviously).

The colors for the base is as follows.

"Calthan brown base
Ddd bleached bone for highlights
Add white to mix before pure bleached bone."

As for the leaves, they are solar orange with a baal red wash, with astronomican grey mixed in for highlights(the grey helps keep the dead leaf look).

The wardancers bases have a slightly different "hue" since I used a different basecolor, which was more tedious to mix, and looked worse, so obviously they'll get the same color as the dryads. Need to repaint some portions on treeman #1 as well.

The wardancers have metallic legs(from the 40k eldar harlequins), the torsos are from the glade guard/glade rider plastic kits.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Arcturus wrote:The wardancers have metallic legs(from the 40k eldar harlequins), the torsos are from the glade guard/glade rider plastic kits.

Hah! Perfect conversion! I thought they were stock! Well done!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lord myki
Black Guard

Post by Lord myki »

What can I say, other than outstanding job! You have given me some inspiration for future painting sessions. Thank You!
Mere death is but a blink of an eye,
Death by the Druchii is eternal!
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

Wardancers and wildriders are done.

Should be dryads and gladeguard next up. :)

Cheers
Last edited by Arcturus on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

OMG!!! Wow! I love everything about your Wood Elves! Of special note, the bases! Do you have a close up/detail shot of em?

Thanks for sharing your awesome talent with the forum!