How to add shields to Cross Bows?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
New elf
Trainee Warrior

How to add shields to Cross Bows?

Post by New elf »

Hey, I've been working on assembling & painting my DE's as fast as I can go. I'm a little stuck on how to add shields for the Cross Bows? From what I've gathered a lot of people suggest giving the shields to them, but I'm not quite sure how best to do this. I've looked a lot at the forums & most of the time I dont see shields included on them. One guy cut the shields & planted them into the base on the front row. It seems the only other choice is to put the shields over the back (which I'm debating how good this would look).

The only other thing I can think of is its commonly declared at the start of the game Cross Bows have shields. Whats the standard practice? Thanks for the helping the n00b.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It seems the only other choice is to put the shields over the back (which I'm debating how good this would look).

I like doing this because it gives you the option as to whether they have shields or not in the game - they're there, but surreptitiously enough that it doesn't seem odd to say that they don't have shields if you decide not to give them to them. But then I use older crossbowmen models than most :)

The only other thing I can think of is its commonly declared at the start of the game Cross Bows have shields

At my club we tend to just tell people what each of our units have (if its different from what they are armed with) at the start of each game. So, for example, if my corsairs have repeating handbows rather than two hand weapons then I'll just tell my opponent. Similarly in my WoC army all my marauder cavalry came glued together with shields and swords/axes from ebay, but I tend to run them with light armour and flails - I just let my opponent know before beginning the game.

I think GW has a guiding rule that 66% or more of your models should be armed with the right combat gear (I think I read that somewhere), but that's probably quite extreme by most people's standards.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I have just glued mine with the lower tip on the base and with the upper backside to the right arm bracers. Works quite well.

Also made a few more dynamic poses, where the shield is on the right arm and held high.

Bye
Thanee
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Mine are just stuck into the ground in front of the crossbowman.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Tluamiani
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tluamiani »

I'm about to make some movement trays with the shields glued to the front, like a barrier. Then I'll have two sets of trays, one with shields and one without. :)
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I have mine holding the shield in one hand, firing the crossbow in the other.

It's a fairly simple conversion, and just involves clipping off the left arm, filing off the hand, and keeping the army that's pulling the trigguer. The result is an arm that's firing a crossbow one-handed. Attack that arm to the miniature (you might need some green stuff in the armpit, in order to get the positioning right and angle the weapon away from the model's chest a bit.) Take the shield-arm sprue from the warrior kit, throw on a shield, attach that so it looks like the model is shielding himself while firing around the shield, and you have a very formidable looking shield-wall of crossbowman.

Before Games Workshop got rid of Bitz orders, I bought up 40 of the Champion of Slaanesh shields for conversion purposes.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1050022

You can't see the front of the shield, but that semi-circular indent in the top corner of the shield is perfect for resting a right-handed crossbow in. I'm very pleased with the result.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Handsome jack
Executioner

Post by Handsome jack »

I've been buying up knight sheilds on ebay and would like to try and magnetize them to the backs of the rxb,s has anyone tried this
handsome jack
Mithrilforge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mithrilforge »

i have actually stuck mine onto the backs of my X-bow troops,i think it looks good (and when i get to finishing them...this week,i hope :o i will post pics)
i glued a small bit of round sprue from the frames of my kits in the small of their back,painted it dark to match the chainmail and stuck the shield onto that so it sit flat and flush to the x-bowmans back.
cheers Mithril
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Here's a (crappy) picture of mine...

Bye
Thanee
Lovok
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lovok »

I glued the bottom of the shields on the base and to the front of the model. If possible also on the druchii himself in order to look like holding the shield with any availible part of his body. Here are my 2 units of RXB with shields and music:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5951/fanderxb2.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7494/fanderxb1.jpg

( Please read the forum rules about posting images and image size! Edited the post, to only show the links. -- Thanee )
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

Mine are merely glued to the backs of the crossbow warriors like they are strapped on, ready to be used when needed.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Malekith's psychologist
Beastmaster
Location: can't u feel my breath on the back of ur neck?maybe the cold steel on ur throat gives u a clue

Post by Malekith's psychologist »

Well, mine have a bit of string, the kind of string you use for sewing, glued to the shields in a double loop. You get about 1.5 or 2cms of string, glue the center to the center of the shield. Once its dried you put a little droplet of glue on the middle of the spot where the string and shield are glued. Then you bend each end of the string and join the ends at the middle, holding it there for a few seconds till the glue dries and voila! you have a double loop that will cling to the warrior's shoulder pads.

With this you can put shields or remove them from the back of your warriors depending on their equipment to get a better WYSIWYG.

Although it is tricky at first once you get the hang of it you cando 20 shields in less than an hour. Be patient with the shields because everytime you store the xbox warriors many shields will fall off, but for tabletop purposes the stay in place pretty nicely.

I'll try to post pictureslater tomorrow

Cheers!
DiscipleOfKhaine said:
Im not saying that makes them unworthy of a model, Im just saying...that Malekith is the greatest elven king in the history of the world and I will never concede otherwise.
New elf
Trainee Warrior

Post by New elf »

wow, thanks a lot for everyone putting in lots of different feedback so far! Love to see some of these pics promised.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

I personally use, for my front ranks of RXBs, the crossbow held in both hands, removing one of the arms to have a shield hold the crossbow instead.

It looks like this (and I'm quite happy with the result!)

This way the crossbow are held in the little slot on the shield and on the others behind have their shield into the ground to reload without need to hold it, or something like that (;
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

I uaed corsairs for my RXBs, just dropping a warrior arm and shield on them.
Dan
Malekith's psychologist
Beastmaster
Location: can't u feel my breath on the back of ur neck?maybe the cold steel on ur throat gives u a clue

Post by Malekith's psychologist »

Hi, these are the pictures of the system i use to add/remove shields from my xbow warriors.

Excuse the bad quality, camera is broken and took them with the webcam which is quite crappy, but you get the idea...

DiscipleOfKhaine said:
Im not saying that makes them unworthy of a model, Im just saying...that Malekith is the greatest elven king in the history of the world and I will never concede otherwise.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

SilverHeimdall wrote:I personally use, for my front ranks of RXBs, the crossbow held in both hands, removing one of the arms to have a shield hold the crossbow instead.

That is pretty sweet. I did not expect to like a yellow with Druchii, but you pulled it off handsomely. Very sharp looking!
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Thanks, though I haven't worked on them for months now D: so busy with other things (and a new army ~_~ )