A few little bits and pieces I have been working on

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Grimma
Executioner

A few little bits and pieces I have been working on

Post by Grimma »

Hi everybody - I'm relatively new to the hobby, and recently completed my first army. While I won't bore you with pics of all the units I thought I would post up a few of the kit bashes and alternative models that I have used. These are not unique or ground breaking but I found such pics really helpful when I was building my army and there might be some stuff that others will find handy.

So on to the photos...

Dreadlord magnetised to an Ultraforge Dragon

Some kit bashed harpies that combine Daemonette bodies, ghoul arms and the harpy wings that GW sell. A tricky business pinning the wings.

I was quite pleased with the way these came out. Tomb King chariots, Cold Ones and a Witch Elf command set for the crew. I cut the weapons out of the drivers hands and replaced with Tomb King whips. I used the tips on Spearmen banners for the scythes.

A fairly common alternative to the standard Cauldron using an Avatar but I have mounted him on the top of a column from the arcane ruins terrain set and magnetised his feet so that I can use him with my Eldar army.

I hope these were handy. If you want to see any more units I'm happy to post some more photos.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Very nice dragon and some of the beast chariot conversions I've seen - I may well rip you off!

I think we'll all want to see the full army.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I would definitely like to see more pictures of your army, these conversions are so beautiful. And Ive never seen TK chariots used for COCs, great idea. I spose theyd be cheaper than HE ones? And the harpies are very nice as well, as is the dragon. The avatar is painted very nicely.

Over all, top effort.
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

Very nice, very creative. The dragon, chariots and harpies are excellant.
I really like the dragon model what is it?
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

All i can say is WOW!!!
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys

@Nellamik - the dragon is from Ultraforge http://www.ultraforgeminiatures.com/ although I have chosen to magnetise the rider to the neck rather that use the platform that comes with the kit.

A couple of other units

I didn't like the sword the champion comes with (mainly because it doesn't fit with the model particularly well) so I used spearmen arms with a halberd from the Dark Rider kit

One of my favourite models. She just about to launch herself from a bit piece of cork!.

I cut down the banners of the spearmen to be a bit more practical. And yes, no painted banners - they will come when I feel brave enough to do some freehand painting.

Again, a magnet holds the rider in place quite nicely.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Nightsoul
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nightsoul »

Wow, these are some really well painted models and a very nice dragon. I really like the executioners and the black guards. Although I feel something is missing from the executioner's banner.. a symbol of a kind.

Very good chariot conversions, I like the idea of the witch elves riding the chariots.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Some of the mounted units are below. Does anyone else really hate painting horses?

And two hydras are always better than one.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

You have a really nice army here! There are some great conversions. Keep up the good work - please post more pics of you work.
Autarii
Trainee Warrior

Post by Autarii »

Wow!!! Great army. I really like the blending on the standards, something i have yet to master. I like the use of yellow as well, not a normal choice but it works really well.

Brilliant conversions and thanks for the idea of an avatar for an altar.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Sa'an'ishar!
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Very nice army you got there! An I don't hate painting horses.. but I'm not fond of it either xD.

Some good-looking conversions, neat painting and you used a lot of different colours and managed to do it nice too, great work!

Keep it up!

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Thanks guys - here are a couple more units.

The Avatar on my Cauldron is magnetised so I can use it with my Eldar.

The Shades are on some very nice resin bases from Back-2-Basix.

This girl did some nice things for me in the last tournament I went to. In a 1500pt list with Tome of Furion and Seal of Ghrond she was a star.

Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Very smart to magnatize the Avatar. Do you mind if I copy you're idea?
The shades look very nice, so do the bases (but that's bought so doesn't really count xD). The sorceress also looks beautifull, also interesting combination of magic items..

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Farodin wrote:Very smart to magnatize the Avatar. Do you mind if I copy you're idea?
The shades look very nice, so do the bases (but that's bought so doesn't really count xD). The sorceress also looks beautifull, also interesting combination of magic items..

-Farodin

Go for your life with the Avatar :D

The build on the Sorceress works because with the tome, she gets half a lore which gives her a much better chance of rolling up the more powerful spells. Combined with POD she becomes a potent caster at 1500pts where there aren't too many strong magic users. The Seal of Ghrond plus the ROH on another character is good enough to close out enemy magic. I'm going to a 1600pt tourny this weekend - let's see what happens.
Zerodth
Corsair

Post by Zerodth »

nice conversions, like the harpies they look real menacing ^^
also love the magnet idia!! brilliant!
gotta love bitboxing and conversions.... tho its hard when u aint got a local store anymore.. and dont know any other warhammer heads :(

god bless the interwebs :p
Sa`an`ishar

See my Warhammer album http://s828.photobucket.com/albums/zz20 ... 20Druchii/ most of them are still in prog^^ slow painter....
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

You should try 2 lvl2s - one with sacrificial dagger + either pearl of bleakness or scroll in your spearmen, and the other with lifetaker + tome of furion. Hotek is great, but less effective in smaller games where there are lots of 2PD spells flying about. Add your nice BSB to that and you have ~500 points of heroes that are VERY effective and versatile. Because of power of darkness and only 1600 points the sorceresses punch way above their weight - the dagger allows one to cast PoD on one dice, only to sacrifice if the spell fails on a 2 or a 3 (or 1 if you really need it). With harpies and shades to marchblock, they should be nice and cut up before your combat blocks reach them.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Dumbledore wrote:You should try 2 lvl2s - one with sacrificial dagger + either pearl of bleakness or scroll in your spearmen, and the other with lifetaker + tome of furion. Hotek is great, but less effective in smaller games where there are lots of 2PD spells flying about. Add your nice BSB to that and you have ~500 points of heroes that are VERY effective and versatile. Because of power of darkness and only 1600 points the sorceresses punch way above their weight - the dagger allows one to cast PoD on one dice, only to sacrifice if the spell fails on a 2 or a 3 (or 1 if you really need it). With harpies and shades to marchblock, they should be nice and cut up before your combat blocks reach them.

Agreed and would have considered something like this but for the comp which limits PD to 7 per turn. A Sorceress can do 8 on her own with a good PoD roll. So the tome is a way of improving her chances of getting a good spell selection so that she can use all those power dice.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Some more units.

Avatars of War giant. Much nicer that the GW one I say.

Ekalb
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ekalb »

Your army is really bright for a Dark Elf one and I really like it. Using the Eldar god for the cauldron is a very good move, I just do not like the statue it comes with.
Of course I hate the newist army book, it's not an army I own!
(common reaction when an army gets a new book...)
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

ekalb wrote:Your army is really bright for a Dark Elf one and I really like it. Using the Eldar god for the cauldron is a very good move, I just do not like the statue it comes with.

The statue of Khaine model that comes with the Cauldron of Blood is so ugly it might be the reason the Druchii ended up in the frozen waists in the first place - never upset your god by making butt ugly effigies of him.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

Below are a few more units.

Grimma
Executioner

Progress Update

Post by Grimma »

After knocking over a few other projects I've got back into the Druchii for this year's tournament season. This mostly involved working on banners but I've also added some more units - particularly harpies....

But also the new black... a lord on peg.

This is how the banners are coming along

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The Good
Your brush control is good and your work is consistant. You have some interesting bases which really adds flavor to the models. And your conversions are better than average. Even the freehand work on the banners is well done.

The Bad
Nothing really bad about this army actually. A few of the colours don't work so well - forgive me for being blunt but your Cauldron of Blood looks like it came from a circus. Most of your other unusual choices do work fairly well so the "bad" really isn't that bad.

Overall this is a really nice army. It has some unusual models and conversions giving it a nice personality. And enough attention was payed to many of the small details that this is an above-average army imho. You can definitely field this army with a sense of accomplishemt. Well done!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

That corsair banner is amazing (kraken is awesome). Also where did you get/convert the sorceress with the hydra staff and dragonling.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

The Sorceress is an Avatar's of War mini - http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/i ... &Itemid=64