[pic heavy] Lord Tsunami's Army (Now with hot girl! 1st Aug)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

another WIP update. Ive been doing some work on the skin by layering mixes of shadow gray and black, and by adding the green runes. they are painted with snot green, scorpion green and bleached bone in different mixes. i really like the finish you get when mixing in bleached bone rather than white or yellow. i think it looks more... glowing :)

Grisnik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Grisnik »

Looking good so far mate.. again I have to comment on the black.. you say its easy ( and the recipe is!!! ) but the effect is just stellar man!.. Also is that an old school paint pot lid for a base?

Only comment ( though I know its WIP ) is the blood.. are you going to make it shiny also? Have you ever looked at Tamiya Clear Red? There was a tutorial on warhammer.org from Mika that shows how he does his blood. Mix of the clear red, purple ink and black ink to give it depth, and it comes out great.. will be using it on the cauldron that I have going at the moment also!

Can't wait to see it finished man.. cheers!
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

It looks awsome, LF to seeing it finished ;)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Shadowd1
Cold One Knight

Post by Shadowd1 »

So much awesome
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

@Grisnik
Thanks :) The black is pretty much just about patience and "placing the highlights in the right place". i am far from a master of this technique but i have gotten years of practice. there are no shortcuts, just practice and observe ppl who are better than you to see how they do thing.

The blood will indeed be done with Tamiya clear red. i use that for the weapons of my fighting units, so it will look well together with the rest of the army. The red that is visible now is just a basecoat. the finished result will not look anything like that, it is just a "placeholder".

The cauldron itself is indeed an old paint lid. first good thing one of those lids ever have been (god damn they were horrible). the skulls are from the warrior kit.

@other ppl
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Wow that is really something! Nice one!
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

I really do like the cauldron, only the figure reminds me of the Captain Stern comic from Heavy Metal magazine many years ago.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Lazarus - funny! It actually reminds me of Alladin's djinni-gone-bad =)

I can't say I'm a fan of this guy too much. He's hump-backed and a little to comic-like for me. That being said, it's nice to see outside-the-box thinking.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Hi guys!

Im back (at least a bit) after a prolonged break from dark elves. I have been doing some Vampires, but mostly it has been non-warhammer-stuff. Anyway, yesterday when i saw the fantastic slayer sword winner (below) i got inspired to try my hands at the Raging Heroes' Witches that has been gathering dust since they were released. This is the final unit in my current 2400p army that needs to be completed before i have a shiny up to date dark elf force. Unfortunately its gonna take a while since i set the bar quite high for it. they will be a real focal point after all.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... ge-1xl.jpg

I have only finished a single one yet, and more will come when it comes. The big difference compared to the rest of the army is that i use a very low contrast technique for the skin. it was totally needed because they looked plain dirty when i used my normal skin painting technique. I am spending a whole lot of time on the face, but tbh the models are so delicate that basically all parts take long to paint since utter precision is needed. I am quite happy with the result. I believe i landed on the right side of the woman/shemale line that you always walk when you are trying to paint ladies faces, especially with makeup :D

The extreme closeup will let you who do not yet have any of these models (buy them. they are plain awesome, and now they are also cheaper than GWs witches in failcast) get a feel of just how tiny the face is. It takes a few tries to get that white "sparkle" in the eyes to look good, and not like she has a serious illness :D

PS. the Cauldron is pretty much done. All that is needed now is the rider (i will use one of the Blood vestal champions i think) and assembling + basing. I might get on it as soon as i am positive on how to do the witch elf unit. i wouldnt want the Hag to be done in a different style than the unit.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

AAaahhh fantastic!

I'm another fan of healthy skin tone elves :D

Great paint job!
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

LOVE LOVE LOVE! :D - Makes me wanna start mine! :) but I have many to do before I start my leading laidies :D
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Fantastic work on her - now I really feel like I should take mine out of the boxes and get them painted... :p

The only suggestion I would make (and it's more of a personal preference really) is a slightly lighter shade of the rouge on her cheeks. I think that the eye makeup is perfect and the lips are very well done (it's so easy to make them too full, which you most certainly have not), but in addition to the rouge on such a small face, it feels a little bit too made-up for me. Not sure if it would work/help, but just thought I'd give a suggestion - I always like people trying to give constructive feedback and aim to do the same :)

Of course, don't forget that this is all prefaced with 'OH MY GOD I WISH I COULD PAINT LIKE THAT!!!!!!' :D
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

I love your painting style, Lord Ts... and your conversions are really great :D I bought myself some really fine tipped paint brushes, but I don't think I'll be able to get that level of detail into the faces of my troops that your have achieved with your Blood Vestal. Brilliant!
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Great painted, she looks awsome, or pretty :oops:

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

thanks for all the kind comments :)
Skullshatter
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Skullshatter »

dude gotta love those harpies
when all else fails, send in the hydra(s)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

This army is amazing but one detail really sticked with me. I absolutely love the shades of brown you used for the spear shafts, boots and the RbT. In particular the brown on the RBT caught my eye and was burned in my retina. Brown has proven a difficult color for me in the past to get a good result with.
Would you be so generous as to share the colors you used for the woodwork on the RBT? Would you mind if I use it as an inspiration for my own woodwork on the RBTs and Chariots?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

its pretty simple. i use khemri brown (old foundtion, but its a grey-brown almost khaki color) with a dab of black folowed by a wash of black. then i paint lines with pure khemri brown followed by some highlights with khemri brown with a dab of bleached bone.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Ok how the eff did you paint those vespid WE faces? I'm a horrible face painter and please tell me how you did it!
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

tbh there is no good trick here. patience and precision. im usually not much of a face painter but with enough time and care i could achieve this result. dont really think there are any shortcuts here. just do NOT use too much contrast when painting lady-faces. they will look like men ;) (just check my sorceress and you will see :P)
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

This has to be the best paint job I've seen yet for the blood vestals, great job.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Giles the zog
Warrior

Post by Giles the zog »

Nice stuff !
Food for thought here.
Wandering Stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

http://hasturhasturhastur.wordpress.com ... warhammer/
Ben baenre
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ben baenre »

Awesome job on your witch elves/vestals. i hope mine look half that good when finished. I also love your Cauldron conversion. Definitely original.
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

o0 I want tha cauldron o0
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD