[PLOG] Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead - Update 11/02

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
With hatred ...
Black Guard

[PLOG] Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead - Update 11/02

Post by With hatred ... »

Hi all,

It's been a while, good to back and enthused.

A couple of friends of mine are doing a slow grow army for Age of Sigmar and I got roped in. The twist is that I've got quite a large collection of old stuff in boxes and this was the perfect oppportunity to get some paint on them. I've done an army before just using Marauder releases and a later 6/7th edition army but missed the 5th edition models in between. The line was almost entirely designed by Aly Morrison around the time that Marauder Miniatures were absorbed into Citadel Miniatures

The rules are 250 points a month to be based and painted up to an army of 2000 points. A trip to Warhammer World is on the cards to play a mini tournament at the end.

The armies are hopefully going to be featured in Initiative Magazine over the next few months, it's a relatively new digital magazine looking at all aspects of the gaming hobby, here's a link http://www.figurepaintermagazine.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=24

The first part of this months 250 points is going to be a unit of 20 Spearmen and a bolt thrower, it takes me over 250 points but that's less to do next month lol.

Here's a quick test of the colour scheme

Cheers.
Last edited by With hatred ... on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 14 times in total.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Re: Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead

I've decided to go with a snow and ice theme for the bases using crushed glass from Secret Weapon.

That isn't going to be the movement tray, not sure what I'm going to do about them yet.

I had some problems trying to find enough shields for them all so I started searching around for alternatives to the old style kite shields.

Gripping Beast shields seemed to fit well. I've used the shields rune design before and liked it so I'm going to do the same with this lot.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Howdy - welcome back!

Nice to see some old school models being put to use again :-)

I like the colour scheme - if these turn out like your other models It should be a good army - thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing the rest.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Cultofkhaine wrote:Howdy - welcome back!

Nice to see some old school models being put to use again :-)

I like the colour scheme - if these turn out like your other models It should be a good army - thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing the rest.

Thanks, it's good to be back :-)

I had a bit of spare time this morning to make a start on the unit champ, he's coming along nicely. I never realised these old elves had so much detail on them to pick out.

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's really nice to see these models again. I think I still have a box of ten of these sword wielding warriors. Another todo project :)
It's inspirational to see them painted.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Thanks Daeron.

Here's the standard bearer. I took inspiration from one of the banners in an old army book.

With hatred ...
Black Guard

The first regiment of 20 Spearmen are finished. I might come back and add another 10 but will see how the project goes :-)

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Really nice - that banner looks awesome! I really like watching your army progress it reminds me of the good old days!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Great work, and really nice banner. Looks better than the thin ribbons they gave with the 6th ed spears. I might go for a big banner on my spears now.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Cultofkhaine wrote:Really nice - that banner looks awesome! I really like watching your army progress it reminds me of the good old days!

Cheers, you can't beat the old stuff :-)
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Daeron wrote:Great work, and really nice banner. Looks better than the thin ribbons they gave with the 6th ed spears. I might go for a big banner on my spears now.

Yeah, I was a little unsure until it was in place. I think I'll keep the theme going with the other banners to come.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

I'm working on the bolt thrower tonight.

Recycled prigles lid for the base filled with foam card with 2 bases cut out.

I'm still a little unsure on the GW textured snow, I'll wait and see what it dries like. If I'm not happy I'll go back to crushed glass like the spearmen.

Cheers.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Finished the bolt thrower for the Dark Elves slow grow army. Apart from a bit on the lower right leg that is :-)
I've had a change of heart on the bases. Some may remember the Spearmen a couple of weeks ago that were just plain snow, well I wasn't happy so I added a few rocks to make it more interesting.
The plan is to go back and rebase the Spearmen but I'm not in a rush lol.
Cheers.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [PLOG] Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead - Update 2

Post by cultofkhaine »

That looks great!

is there a light blue you have used in the basing? The photos have a glow about them - looks good.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Cultofkhaine wrote:That looks great!

is there a light blue you have used in the basing? The photos have a glow about them - looks good.

Thanks, there are few little bits of bluey green in there just to make it more interesting that just plain white.

I'm working on a Dark Pegasus next. It needs quite a bit of filing so I'm doing it in stages. Once the first lot of green stuff has dried I'll try smoothing it out and adding a few scales here and there.

After the pegasus it's going to be a regiment of Black Guard, the problem is with this line is that there were only two champions made. The solution was to do a weapon swap :-)

With hatred ...
Black Guard

A quick update on the Peg. Not sure where this is going yet lol.

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: [PLOG] Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead - Update 0

Post by Lord Drakon »

Wow amazing wings! How did you painted them?
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Lord Drakon wrote:Wow amazing wings! How did you painted them?

Thanks.
Basically I was trying to create volume in the raised centres sections of the wings, lighter in the top half and with a red transition at the bottom.

The basecoat was Rakarth Flesh, striped across the wing sections and almost to the bottom of the section, then a mix of Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Flesh highlighting over the top but smaler lines staying near the centre of the lines. Highlight with Pallid Flesh but smaller lines again. Purple wash towards the edges and used a dark red to layer near the bottom.
I then needed to highlight again but just to the top half of each section then decided on a red glaze at the edges.
Another highlight of Pallid Flesh and White but very small lines in the centre of the sections in the top half.

Hope that makes sense :-)

I'm sure there must be quicker way to do it but I wasn't sure what I was after lol.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

With hatred ... wrote:
Lord Drakon wrote:Wow amazing wings! How did you painted them?

Thanks.
Basically I was trying to create volume in the raised centres sections of the wings, lighter in the top half and with a red transition at the bottom.

The basecoat was Rakarth Flesh, striped across the wing sections and almost to the bottom of the section, then a mix of Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Flesh highlighting over the top but smaler lines staying near the centre of the lines. Highlight with Pallid Flesh but smaller lines again. Purple wash towards the edges and used a dark red to layer near the bottom.
I then needed to highlight again but just to the top half of each section then decided on a red glaze at the edges.
Another highlight of Pallid Flesh and White but very small lines in the centre of the sections in the top half.

Hope that makes sense :-)

I'm sure there must be quicker way to do it but I wasn't sure what I was after lol.

I will test your technique soon myself, thanks for the painting scheme! I don't have all the paints though but will try to experiment with what I have. Looking forward to your final result
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Progrees is a little slow with the Pegasus but I've got until the end of March to finish it.

I decided to go for a flaming red for the scales, hopefully it will look better once the actual body is done.

With hatred ...
Black Guard

Re: [PLOG] Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead - Update 1

A quick update :

The sorceress is almost done apart from a bit of tidying on the metallics etc..

The pegasus still needs a bit of work on the underside of the wings.

2 days to go until the end of month deadline, the clock is ticking lol.

With hatred ...
Black Guard

Re: [PLOG] Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead - Update 1

Forgot the pegasus pic :-)

Duckman5
Corsair

Re: [PLOG] Slow Grow Army for AoS using old lead - Update 3

Post by Duckman5 »

Looks great! I love the dripping icicles on the pegasus' base.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Thanks, glad you like them
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Thankfully I made the end of month deadline :-)

Morathi is done....