[PLOG] Tyrannus' Marauders [WIP] -- The Avatar of Khaine

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

[PLOG] Tyrannus' Marauders [WIP] -- The Avatar of Khaine

Post by T.D. »

The time has come my merry friends to talk of other things,
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings!

...and of a reborn army of Dark Elves :twisted:

So as some of you may already know I got back into Dark Elves in 2010, when the stunning nature of the rebooted Dark Eldar made me realise that I could finish my teenage era project in the style I had always wanted. With budget no longer being an issue in creative expression :)

I was also pleasantly surprised to find in my return to the game that 8th edition is my favourite version of WFB so far!

While Dark Elves are my first Warhammer love, they are not my first Warhammer army; 40K Slaanesh is where I began. The Dark Elf bug first bit with the publication of White Dwarf 144, which showcased Kent Martin's wonderful Druchii force:

Kent Martin's sublime colour scheme will still serve as a partial inspiration for the rebooted 21st century force (which I intend to commission rather than paint myself), but with influence also taken from the many amazing artists to be found here; GeOrc, Cynaath Ch'ill, Cult of Khaine, Lord Azoth, Lord Tsunami, Kendoka, Tzelok, Severian, Rowena, Jarvax, RafaPolit, Heartsbane, Lion of Flanders and others too numerous to mention. If you think I've stolen your idea, I probably have!

...and also whoever this guy is: Daddada

This guy gets the no painting thing. He is a legend that should be worshipped.

So, beginning a descent into new technical lows for the marvellous D.net PnM forum, here find the raiders of legend -- Tyrannus' Marauders
Last edited by T.D. on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] Tyrannus' Marauders -- WIP log

Post by Amboadine »

That article takes me back a bit :)

Looking forward to seeing this devolve into something possibly slightly surreal.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Amboadine wrote:That article takes me back a bit :)

Looking forward to seeing this devolve into something possibly slightly surreal.

Did my Daemonettes whet your appetite, eh? :mrgreen:
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Thanks T.D. That's the article that started me on the journey too. I even painted mine in the same colours. But as you know I've started them all over again this time with a better paint job lol.

Good luck.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

With hatred ... wrote:Thanks T.D. That's the article that started me on the journey too.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

So, I started by trying to copy Kent Martin's brilliant paint job. This is the result:

Why I don't paint -- #1348

pending

:oops:

Thankfully safe from my attempts to paint, some of my original command models:

pending

L-R
- Warrior's musician; one of the most charismatic Dark Elf models ever IMO.
- Warrior's champion; stand's slightly taller than the line of infantry and comes with a Xbow as well as a Halberd. Sometimes used as a Hero.
- Dark Elf Hero; a badass with a great weapon! I think this classic sculpt inspired some of the later Executioner models. Sometimes used as a Dreadlord.
- General on Foot; I still have my original mounted General, and he is going to be converted for the 21st century -- though no longer the Commander he will still play an important part in the army and background. This is his "on foot" variant which will remain unchopped for the time being.

I happened upon an important strategy in army building early; get someone else to paint your models for you! I've got some nice models in my collection -- all done by someone else :mrgreen:

One of my friends painted up my Witch Elf standard bearer:

pending

This model is one of the reasons I love Dark Elves. Dynamic otherworldly hot chick with skulls and murder weapons :twisted:

She originally came with a repeater hand bow which was removed in order for her to foist a standard ...which is now somewhere in my bits box!
Last edited by T.D. on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Think we might need to introduce you to the concept of watering down paints ;)

Love the models though. Takes me right back.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Amboadine wrote:Think we might need to introduce you to the concept of watering down paints ;)

I'm sure there are a lot of painting and modelling concepts I need introduced to! :P
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Introducing the general of my original army:

Prince Aerith the Jaded -- Daemon Prince of Slaanesh

pending

If you look closely you will see he is in actual fact a Dark Elf! In my heart of hearts I've always been a Druchii 8)
A classic Chaos Lord sculpt from the unparalleled Jes Goodwin.

Scale shot:
pending

Once upon a time he had wings of a Heroquest Gargoyle, but through The_Wisdom_of_Blutack™ he has now taken on the far more natty 40K scourge wings. His final form is some way away and will require some cuttery, but for the time being he is leading my FB Chaos army, and hopefully may do some moonlighting as a Druchii anointed if the Cult of Slaanesh is rebooted.

Prince Aerith the Jaded, Fallen Scion of Nagarythe

pending

Prince Aerith began life as a Highborn amongst the fair race of Elves upon the blessed and mist shrouded Isle of Ulthuan. Brilliant amongst an illumined race, beautiful amongst a fair race, charmed amongst a fortunate race, it was in early adolescence that Prince Aerith began to chafe against the conventions of his society. As he grew and took on the rights and responsibilities of his high birth, duty, honour and morality came to be to him the chains of a prison.

What is the point of beauty if you cannot exploit it?
Refined senses if they cannot be indulged?
Power if cannot be used?

It was in these early days that Prince Aerith began to break the rules. At first his transgressions were minor -- and they would appear as but the smallest of trifles compared to his later excesses -- but the more he explored his lusts and temptations, the more he found that there was ever a new pleasure or perversion always further ahead, beyond the boundaries of the morality of those around him.

By the time the seeress Morathi had began to indoctrinate an inner circle in the ways of Chaos, Prince Aerith may have already been on the path to damnation ...whatever the truth, at the turn of his adulthood he became a willing and able acolyte of the first Dark Coven.

As the despair in the hearts of Ulthuanfolk spread with the loss of The Defender, Prince Aerith, skilled in the martial and magical, in the intrigues of court, and fair of speech and form grew to be a powerful member of the inner circle of Malekith and Morathi. Others would have been satisfied to have reached such an esteemed position in the halls of the Nagarythe. But not Prince Aerith. It had become obvious to him that although skilled he had neither the combat prowess nor the generalship of Malekith. He had not the dark blessings or depth of sorcery of his teacher, Morathi. And what he could never be was the Son of Aenarion.

A narcissistic and solipsistic sense of self such as Prince Aerith's could never tolerate such secondary status for very long. While Malekith and Morathi wanted to be godlike, Prince Aerith's hubris and vanity wanted to go beyond even they. He wanted to become a god. So it was before Malekith had assassinated Bel-Shanaar and been scourged by the Flame of Asuryan that Prince Aerith had already secretly exhausted his familial fortune to build a fleet to flee the shores of the hallowed Isle. He and his followers set sail for the north and the glimmering lights of the winds of magic...

His small fleet beached and burnt, Prince Aerith began his wanderings through the Northlands. It was perhaps at this time that Slaanesh's gaze fell upon the young renegade Highborn. The Prince of Chaos has always treasured Elven souls above that of all others, and Prince Aerith's power, intelligence and keen sensorium must have seemed like a bright flame amongst pale blazes in the immaterium.

She Who Thirsts watched with interest as Prince Aerith's warband grew. While he spent the lives of his Elven followers cheaply -- perhaps fearing a challenger would rise in his midst to overthrow him as he had wished to overthrow Malekith -- mostly in reckless battles against followers of Khorne, more and more human Northmen flocked to his banner. In time his Caravansery of Pleasure became a flame of its own, drawing in like moths mortals who craved indulgence above all else. Beastmen, spawn, Ogres and followers of Chaos of all kinds swole the unoly cavalcade under his command.

Slaanesh showered gifts upon his new Champion. At first a right breast blossomed, and Prince Aerith came to understand the psyche and pleasures unique to the other sex. His followers gasped when a gleaming iridescent suit of unearthly armour materialised around his torso. He became unnaturally invigorated beyond even the stamina of Elvenkind with an energy to explore and indulge his every whim.

Already a great warrior, Prince Aerith was gifted with a preternatural mastery of every weapon under the Sun. Two new arms sprouted from his torso, all the better for him to fight or caress. Arch Daemons appeared to inculcate him in the secrets of Slaaneshi sorcerous lore. The twin Daemon blades Homolethros and Gynolethros found their way serendipitously into his possession. Prince Aerith could now duel to the death the greatest mortal champions of Khorne without even breaking sweat.

His fame spread and spread amongst the tribes of the Kurgan and the Hung. His time of questing over, Prince Aerith took more joy in the spoils of war than in war itself. Placing himself as a King amongst his retinue, Prince Aerith exulted in the power and adulation that had ever been denied to him as a mere courtier of Malekith. The men of the earth were like toys to him, and bending and breaking the lesser mortals to his will a source of unending enjoyment. The Lord of Dark Delights was most proud. Prince Aerith's corpus swelled and mutated, until his lower body became a coiling serpent-like form. What The Prince of Pleasure took in mortal aesthetics he gave in bestial power and an unnatural pheromonal magnetism.

Prince Aerith was now as terrible as he was originally beautiful. His nascent wit and charisma magnified a thousand fold as the power of his dark god elevated his psyche over that of mortals. It was said that he could even ensnare and break the wills of daemons. It was at this time that he became known by the epithet The Jaded. His permanent encampment was settled on the great steppes, in view of the northern reaches of the Mountains of Mourn. It was a place equally hated and desired amongst the tribespeoples. Having long since exhausted all carnal pleasures, it was in rulership that he now rejoiced. Intrigues and ambassadorial duelling of wits now delighted him more than physical combat. A languorous and decadent Court life of frolic and feasting was all. He no longer needed to hunt for servants or prey; they came willingly from across the wastes like flies into a trap. Battle was now a mere trifle justified only by the spoils.

But Slaaneth called his favoured champion once more to war. Prince Aerith was tasked to lead a force across the walls of the great Bastion during the great Chaos incursion of IC 2302. It was upon the shattered stones of the Cathayan Wall in full view of his host and on the day of his greatest victory that Prince Aerith was elevated beyond mortalkind and Elvenkind to Daemonhood.

Great batlike wings unfolding, ennervated with unholy power, Prince Aerith ascended above the Chaos horde; an Angel of Darkness.

...before the campaign was over, Prince Aerith had disappeared, believed summoned to his Master's side within the Realm of Chaos itself. And so he passed beyond the ken of the humans of the north, and far beyond the memory of his origins.

The dead have risen and a Storm of Chaos brews. She Who Must Not Be Named has turned her attention once more to the world, and the daemon-informed cultists of the north are whispering of the coming of a new exulted Daemon, Prince Aerith the Jaded, as manifestor of her will on earth.

What a surprise his return is bound to bring! Only a handful of his contemporaries from Ulthuan remain alive today, and they have long since forgotten his existence. His name was never recorded in the annals of the Druchii, as he had deserted long before the civil war and the departure of Malekith's followers to what is now known as Naggaroth. His name is long since lost from the annals of the Asur; the records of his nobility perishing beneath the waves with his ancestral lands.

The Great Serpent covets Elven souls above all else, and now he wishes to place his vassal as a new king upon the throne of Naggaroth. First Naggaroth, and then the throne of Ulthuan! While Slaanesh cannot enter the material realm, a Daemon Prince can, and so rule in his stead. The Elves will be reunited as sheep under a shepherd of the Dark Lord, and the sweetest of all harvests can be reaped.

No one can say whether Prince Aerith's young longings called Slaanesh, or if it was Slaanesh's first whisperings which corrupted Prince Aerith, but it seems as if The Dark Prince has been working towards this outcome all along. The Changer of the Ways is credited with being the long player in The Great Game, but this is to forget that all of the Ruinous Powers transcend mortal conventions of time and space. Perhaps young Slaanesh in his guise of innocence and enraputre in the moment is the longest of the long players? He is after all, the creation of the most refined minds and most powerful passions, and in his search for potency and bliss possesses an unfathomable motivation. Perhaps all of the other Gods of Chaos have underestimated her?

The court of Nagarythe certainly underestimated his pawn -- and the only black spot in Prince Aerith's psyche is his inability to accept that while a cherished game piece, he is as disposable to his Lord as others are to himself -- and it remains to be seen how they will greet his reemergence into the affairs of the World.

Now begins the time of reckoning...
Last edited by T.D. on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] Tyrannus' Marauders -- WIP

Post by Amboadine »

Nice conversion. Love that model.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

It could be the easiest conversion in the world :lol:
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

You have impeccable taste sir.

Some great sculpts you've chosen and I love the idea of using that witch elf as a standard. I might just pinch that idea :-)
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Yes! A million times yes. That article is a little before my time (I caught the bug during 4th) but I love seeing how the aesthetic evolved.

You must paint your models. It would be a sin to waste them. Being metal you can strip them once your skills improve. Check out a blog called realm of chaos blog spot. The writer goes through several methods of painting classic miniatures in classic ways. I think that you'd really enjoy it and get pumped to paint your collection.

Myles
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Thanks guys.

Cynath ch'ill wrote:Yes! A million times yes. That article is a little before my time (I caught the bug during 4th) but I love seeing how the aesthetic evolved.

You must paint your models. It would be a sin to waste them. Being metal you can strip them once your skills improve. Check out a blog called realm of chaos blog spot. The writer goes through several methods of painting classic miniatures in classic ways. I think that you'd really enjoy it and get pumped to paint your collection.

I'd like to keep a few of my own models to paint myself in my own time, so I'll definitely check out that blog. For the main body of the force, however I want to commission it as it will be the only way to actualise my ideas. I'm more of a fluff & collecting guy than a painting guy :)
Trilobite
Trainee Warrior

Post by Trilobite »

You field some of my favourite models of all time!!
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Not sure how I missed this... thanks so much for sharing the article at the start. I still remember leafing through that way, way back... maybe 11 or 12? Such an intense feeling of nostalgia! At the time I was collecting Dwarves (obsessed with The Hobbit at the time, and had a main Dwarf character in D&D), and I remembering seeing the Witch Elves and Cold Ones especially and wondering if I'd made the right choice!

The sculpts on those two units, the Witch Elves and the Cold Ones, have come so far since back then - they're so beautifully sharp and poised now - yet somehow, they lack that ramshackle charm that the others hold over me by virtue of all those memories. The smell of the old paints and the glossy pages of WD, the mad old spell rules in the giant orange book, etc.

Really like your winged serpent champion - they do fit together so slickly. The "Arabyan Carpet" item would give him flying too, I guess!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Re: [PLOG] Tyrannus' Marauders -- The Avatar of Khaine

Post by T.D. »

The Avatar of Khaine

My re-imagining of the Avatar for the Ulthuan.net End Times Pen & Brush Competition.

I've put the emphasis not on the Tyrion, but on the Khaine! :twisted:
Last edited by T.D. on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Makiwara
Shade

Re: [PLOG] Tyrannus' Marauders [WIP] -- ATTENTION SEEKING BU

Post by Makiwara »

You adding Wild Riders? ;)
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Crikey - just came across this as well TD!

Some of those models take me back - I love those Marauders, that's what got me into dark elves as well. I still have a few of those painted black awaiting inspiration.

Who are you planning to commission to paint the army? I'd be interested to see who's out there.

That Daddada guy is a legend for conversions, I really like his/her stuff - have not seen any of them painted though.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Makiwara wrote:You adding Wild Riders? ;)

Something Wild :P
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Re: [PLOG] Tyrannus' Marauders [WIP] -- The Avatar of Khaine

Post by T.D. »

@flatworldsedge

Thanks for the shared nostalgia :) Loved reading that article back in the day.

The Serpent guy is my WoC Daemon Prince, so no need for the Carpet :)

@Cultofkhaine

Thanks for comments.

Commissioning is the long term plan, but on hold this year as I've got too much going on. So they will be remaining gloriously unpainted for a while yet!

The conversion guy has painted one model I think, and his painting while good isn't up to the standard of his converting. I hope he gives them to someone else to do :P

@All

Some more Avatar pics:

- Can anyone guess the 6 GW kits I used to build him?

There will be secret prizes for all correct answers :mrgreen:
Last edited by T.D. on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Very cool conversion !

Wild Riders / Sisters box
Tyrion box
Ironbreakers box
Cold One Knights box
7th Edition DE warrior (arm) box
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Cheers!

Lord Drakon wrote:Very cool conversion !

Wild Riders / Sisters box -- correctimundo
Tyrion box -- correctimundo
Ironbreakers box -- wrongimundo
Cold One Knights box -- wrongimundo
7th Edition DE warrior (arm) box -- oops! forgot about that; 6 GW kits in total :P
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Hmmm

Wild Riders
Talos
Deldar Warriors
Shadow Warrior
Tyrion
... Maybe glade riders?
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Tyrion for the steed and legs
Cauldron of Blood for the "shield"
I'm going to assume a Cold One Knight torso but it's covered in green stuff so it's hard to tell
Witch Elf Hair
Wild Rider head
If there's something else in there, I can't see it.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net