The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Hiphopapotamus vs. Rhymnenoceros

The Hophopapotamus
36%
The Rhymnenoceros
64%

Total votes: 25

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Loving the unit! very nicely done :D
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@Saori_Nightstar - thanks for the compliments! :D

Well, hasn't it been a while! Sorry for the lack of updates, uni decided it was going to get really hectic and not give me a spare minute to scratch my nether-regions, let alone paint! I'm trying as much as I can to get back into the swing of things, but before I can it looks like I'll be needing your help, fellow Druchii...

Basically, I'm stuck. I want my minis to have black armour, but I'm not really sure how to do it. I've tried a few different options and found many sources of inspiration, but I'm just undecided myself as to which one I prefer. The one on stage/screen left (AKA ' the hiphopapotamus') is far easier to do and requires a lot less mental focus, however I'm afraid that it just doesn't look 'black' enough. I know there are a lot of fans of the edge-highlighting method, but I just think that with the black armour, the progressive highlighting through the greys and finally to white doesn't have the same effect as it does with other colours - it just looks a little bland to me. The one on stage/screen right (AKA ' the rhymnenoceros') is a lot more difficult to achieve and I think may be better in the long run, but each mini just takes SO LONG whilst I'm still learning. I personally think that this one is the better option, but having stared at it for so long now I just don't know if it looks like black armour either! On top of that, whilst I'm not too fussed about the time that it will take me to do this project - I do want it to be perfect - I am relatively aware that I will not live for thousands of years (unlike the characters in the army) which may be required to finish it at this rate. So, it comes to a vote!

Rules are simple - judge each mini based on which you think looks more like black armour and which one you prefer. Any help would be great, whether you want to leave comments and ideas or just the votes themselves. Thanks as always for your help, and I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Oh yeah, the pictures...

ps. thanks to Flight of the Concords for the great names
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

As a side note, I'll be editing the first post with a picture from each new update as I complete them :)
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

First of all, thanks to everyone who voted on the minis, it's always nice to know that other people are enjoying your hobbying projects enough to give advice :) So, after tallying up the votes from this site and a few others (come on, you didn't really think you were the only one, did you?), the winner is...

The Rhymenoceros!

Having finally decided on which way I wanted to do the armour, I thought that a little bit of extra motivation was in order, so I signed up the the Tale of Fantasy Painters 2012-2013 over at warseer.com! Of course, I might have only signed up to the boys category, but hey, small steps right?

So, with the whip lashing away at my heels, I decided to finally finish off the helmet on the test model (oh yes, we are still well and truly in the 'test' phase).

As I'm sure you're used to hearing by now, I'm not happy with how it came out, though I've come to the stark realisation that with another 35 of these to go, I'm sure I will get it to a point that I'm happy with eventually :P

I also thought I would include some of my inspiration for this army, starting with the colour scheme that I am trying to follow. The picture came from the GW website under the 'Colours of the Kabal' (NOTE TO MODS: I'm not quite sure if I am allowed to put the image up here, so if there are any problems please don't hesitate to let me know or just take it down :) )

As for the armour, the idea came when I saw these absolutely fantastic minis over at CMON

http://www.coolminiornot.com/310250
http://www.coolminiornot.com/294500?browseid=2394041

Of course, I would die a very happy man if I am every able to produce a mini of even half of Flameon's standard, but I might as well have high hopes huh?

Thanks as always for looking, and all comments and criticisms are encouraged as usual :D
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Quick update. Gave a silver NMM my first shot today on the spear head and the sword sheath. I don't really know what's wrong with it, but it just doesn't look at all like metal to me. If anyone has any feedback or tips, I would be more than happy to hear them - tear this thing to shreds, I need to learn before ToFP starts! :D

Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

It might not really look like metal, but from my perspective it gives a really nice contrast with the armour.
If you want a more heavy metal like colour, you might try to give a Bolt Gun Metal or Chainmail base before using the silver.

But the way it looks now i'm not sure i would change anything. The way the blades look now, they even look like a Dark Flame
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@Cold73 - thanks, the more I look at it, I realise that it doesn't really look enough like metal. Having said that, I think I'll try to do the rest of the model first before I consider changing it, just to see how it all works out. I might also take up your idea and use some actual metallics - I wasn't really wanting to originally, but it might just be one of those things that I have to do now and then can come back to fix up at a later date. Thanks for the input :)
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

House Kynath’sur – The House of Black Flames: A History

Part II

“Only a careless individual confuses history with memory, for each is the enemy of the other; they stalk each other over the fields of the past, staking claims to the same terrain, but only history can make weapons of things that memory has forgotten or suppressed.”
- Telroth Larai, A Darker History

Khadeth’s noble and moderately affluent adopted family afforded him greater opportunities to study than were available to other elves of his time, and there was one area in which he showed particular promise: war. From an early age, Shaelith had his personal quartermaster instruct his son in every facet of combat, and there were none in which he did not excel. By the time he had reached his fortieth year Khadeth was unmatched in martial skill amongst the household guard, and only Shaelith could hold his own against the young elf. As was custom at the time, Khadeth participated in certain forms of amusement with other nobles in the courts of Nagarythe, duelling the most favoured. It was here that he began to catch the eyes of the greater nobility, not for the form with which he wielded his weapons nor his incredible speed, but his patience. Cold and calculating, he had an indomitable presence, dodging around his opponents’ attacks, biding his time until the opportunity presented itself to exact the killing blow – an opportunity that he never missed. Many saw it as a sad irony that a wounded and bereaved old elf with nothing but hatred and rage in his heart had adopted a son who had grown with the serenity and patience to stare down stone, though none ever dared to voice that opinion. Khadeth’s reputation as a warrior quickly grew, and it wasn’t long before far greater powers than himself turned their heads and looked on at his progression with interest.

Of course, not all fared well for Khadeth. As an adopted son with beginnings such as his, the other nobles were merciless in trying to gain any advantage over him that they could. Politicking amongst the court of Aenerion was rife and the other nobles saw Khadeth as an outcast not worthy of the praise bestowed upon him. They began referring to him as ‘The Phoenix of Nagarythe’ – meant as a mocking perversion of the dignified bird, the name served as a caustic reminder of his birth in flames and ruin, and of his tenuous link to the nobility he had been adopted into. Of course, this taunt did not have the desired affect, for when he came of age and the time had come, he took the phoenix as his own personal sigil.

Thus it was that when the daemons invaded the lands of Ulthuan for a second time and the House of Black Flames marched to war, it did so with it’s favoured son, the Phoenix of Nagarythe, flying high and proud beside it.

Khadeth fought alongside his father at the forefront of Aenerion’s vast host throughout the second daemonic incursion, and his reputation as a warrior grew with each battle. Finally able to put his skills to the test, he was an irresistible force on the battlefield; he weaved a deadly dance through his daemonic foes, each caress of his blade finding weak-points in guards and slicing through twisted limbs. As his reputation grew, leaderless elves began to flock to his banner, and what started the war as a small force of a mere thirty household guard was soon numbering in the hundreds. Though he and his father fought many battles and slayed countless foes, the daemons’ numbers were unending and the forces of Aenerion were losing the war with no path to victory in sight. It was then that word reached them of Caledor’s plan to end the war, and with renewed vigour and hope in their hearts, the mighty host of Aenerion marched to the Isle of the Dead.

Much of what transpired at the Battle for the Isle of the Dead is known and recorded in history – Aenerion and his host battled the uncountable daemonic horde and bought enough time for Caledor and his cadre of mages to finish the vortex and end the war. What is not known, however, is what happened to many of Nagarythe’s favoured sons on that day.

The House of Black Flames fought long and hard, scouring the battlefield of the putrid stench of Nurgle in the morning and tearing apart a graceful host of Slaanesh in the eve, all the while led by the heroics of Khadeth and his father. Just before Caledor uttered the final incantations, the two were locked in combat with a daemonic prince of Slaanesh, each dodging the multiple limbs of the serpentine monstrosity whilst trying to coordinate their attack.

A supernatural darkness descended over the world, the noise of war slowly dying out as elves and daemons alike paused, and for the briefest of moments, all was silent. In the far distance, howls and screeches broke the peace, rushing from the corners of the earth towards the Isle.

Then, all hell broke loose.

The earth shook as the ground shattered into thousands of pieces beneath the warriors’ feet, molten rock rising from the depths below. The skies filled with lightning and the winds of magic howled through the air, converging around the great vortex and dissipating into the aether. Daemons screamed and writhed as their souls were torn through rifts in reality back to the Realm of Chaos. The warp gates sealed as the last of the daemonic horde was rent asunder, and a cry of victory filled the air. The day was won and the war against the daemons over, but at a cost.

Khadeth never saw the final victory of the elves; as the immediate chaos subsided, Shaelith stood alone on the battlefield where he had fought the daemonic prince, his son nowhere to be seen. He searched amongst the dead even as the ground still trembled and what was left of the mighty warhost of Aenerion dispersed and returned home, but found nothing. He refused to leave, wandering the isle and searching for any signs of Khadeth. Days passed without food or sleep, and even as his lieutenants and closest friends insisted that he abandon his search, he neither spoke a word nor strayed from his path. Finally they left him, resigned that he had lost his mind and reason.

Days turned to weeks, and Shaelith continued to stalk amongst the dead as hope faded and his mind devolved into madness. He staggered amongst the bloated corpses of the fallen, religiously leaning over in his blood-encrusted armour to check the faces of every soldier as he passed. His strength began to fade as the lack of food and rest caught up with him. Fuelled by his eternal hatred towards the daemons, he refused to give up; even as his legs lost the strength to carry him upright, he crawled and pulled his weak body through the mud with his single arm, ever searching. None know exactly where his body failed him or when he took his last breath, though his failure to ever return home with his son’s body was considered sign enough of his passing.

Thus it was that history recorded the bloodline as broken. Without an heir to carry on the legacy, the lieutenants squabbled amongst themselves and vied for power; from that moment on, the House of the Black Flames, having lost it’s greatest ever sons, fell from grace and faded from memory.

But, as is so often the case, what was written into the annals of history was far from the truth of the matter.
Last edited by Ilmaestro on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Look what arrived in the mail today!!

So now I have most of what I will need to put together for the first 1,000 points that I'm trying to paint for the ToFP, and here's a (mini) group shot of them all as it stands.

And, just to show I am making some progress (albeit very slowly), I present to you... A PRODUCTION LINE!!

Oh, and here's a tiny update on the test mini - just brushed some metallic onto the chainmail to get a feel for the model, and began to work on the skin.

Still a long way to go with the skin, but it's heading in the right direction so far - I want it to be a very pale colour with a grey base, so we'll see how it goes!

All comments and criticisms welcome, hope you guys are enjoying the whole project so far! :)
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

For all those out there that are wondering about the size comparison between the Raging Heroes Blood Vestals and normal GW minis, here are a few photos

They're true to their word, standing at 28mm in the same scale as GW minis, so no need to worry about them not fitting in!

On another note, I am starting to feel like a kid at christmas, look what else arrived on my doorstep this morning!

To be honest, the mini came with the blood vestals the other day, but I forgot to take a proper 'box' photo, so it can be lumped in with the new brushes :) I know that I'm not the greatest of painters - in fact, I would have to improve a hell of a lot just to make it to average - but I decided that I was sick and tired of buying brushes that had little quality control during the manufacturing process, and so I spent a little bit more (I think each was about $15?) and got these fantastic Raphael Kolinsky Sable brushes. Of course, they needed christening, right?

I'm not actually sure what I'm more excited about - the fact that I might have this test mini finished in the near future, or the new brushes! They are absolutely fantastic, I used the size 1 (the biggest of the three) and it kept a finer and sharper tip than any other brush I have ever used! They really are superb, and I recommend them for anyone that is reading this post right now xD

As for the paintjob, it was pretty rushed (other than having to wait between each layer for them to dry), but I just wanted to get an idea of whether the blue would work or not. It's not quite the blue I am going for, but I'm happy enough with it for a back ranker for now. Whilst I am going to try and push myself with every successive mini I paint, I think I'm becoming more and more destined to only own a table-top worthy army, so I might as well get cracking on it!

Would love to hear some comments, or more importantly criticisms, of the model and colour scheme.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Oh and if anyone knows how to get rid of the poll, I would be REALLY indebted to you :)
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

here you can really see the superiority of the raging heroes' witches. just look at those hands and feet :)
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

They really are far superior models in my opinion, and now that you have pointed out those hands and feet, all I can think of when I look at the old witch elves is that they are wearing giant clown shoes :)
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

I've had a minor epiphany over night - after having seen similar examples all over the interwebs, I've decided that I'm going to try and do the weapons throughout the army as in the picture below.

NOTE: All credit for this model goes to 'SpeedMetal' - however, I downloaded this picture onto my computer a long time ago and cannot find the link again, or any similar link on a website despite thorough searching, so try not to hate on me too much

If I am able to actually follow through with this idea, I think that I will probably change the robes back to a neutral colour in line with the armour (undecided on whether to make it light grey, grey, bone etc), and then to have a few small areas of the blue to link it to the rest of the model. I'm also considering a glowing eyes effect, similar to the space marine in the CMON link a few posts above, though whilst it would definitely serve to bring the model together (at least in my head), I would have to come up with one hell of a fluffy reason for why everyone's eyes are glowing blue!

Of course, I am talking about vampiric elves here, so I guess I can do what I want I'll get up some pics as soon as I find some time to give this idea a shot, let's hope it doesn't crash and burn too hard!
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Very small update today. After working all weekend to support myself during the uni months ahead, I decided I would spend a tiny bit of it (who cares if I don't eat every day anyway, right?) and bought some supplies from trusty Officeworks, creating this...

Finally, I can take semi-decent photos! Now all I need is a really nice camera to take some better snaps. But, just as a comparison, this is how one turned out using the same (unchanged) test mini that I've been working on

Now I need to learn how to position everything better to take advantage of the new setup, but I think it's an improvement :)

I'll try and get some actual painting done asap, this unfinished test mini is starting to give me the ****s!!
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

And that, dear friends, is how you go almost 1 whole month without doing a damn thing :D

Ok, so that's a tiny bit of a lie. I decided that this was moving along FAR too slow for my own liking, and considering the new Tale of Fantasty Painters has started and I have models due in just over 3 weeks (!!), I changed tack a little bit. You see, the biggest problem for me so far has been trying to work out what I want the minis to look like, and for a highly neurotic and detail oriented person, it's as difficult a decision as what to have for dinner after missing breakfast and lunch - every new decision or input that comes your way becomes the newest and best way to go forward, and that's what I found myself doing!

To top it all off, I wasn't even content with just slapping some paint on the minis and seeing what happened, because I am very determined to try and achieve a high level of painting with every single mini, not just the characters.

So, to the change of tack - I went over all the metal NMM and replaced it with normal metallic paints, just so I could get an idea of where I wanted the metal to be (except the black armour of course ;) ). I then put some of the blues down where I think they might go, and tried my hand at some OSL glowing eyes, the fluff and background explaining which will be coming shortly. Might as well show you the results, huh?

So there are still a few things that need to be done - first and foremost, when I'm finally settled on the colours I will be going back over all of the metallics and trying my hand at NMM (the weapon, sword sheath and chainmail to be precise). As for the rest of it, I'm am undecided as to whether there is a little too much black on the model, specifically the robes and shoes. I think that it isn't too bad, because the 'black' armour has enough highlighting to not be too boring, but I wonder whether it might be worth trying a bone/off-white colour for the robes, or a dark brown leather on the shoes, just to break it up a little more? I think the blues really add a bit more colour, which it desperately needed, though they still need a few more highlights methinks. And I still need to go back and fix up a few minor details, but that can all be done when I've decided that the model is pretty much finished.

But, enough of my jibber-jabber, what do you guys think? Love to hear comments and, more importantly, criticisms! :)
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

I love the colours! I myself have a 'blue' theme but no where near as nice as this is going to be! :)

The eye's look a bit like they should belong to a 'superhero/comic' character - but i actually rather like em! makes em look more evil mwahahahaha :twisted:
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Re: The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project

Post by Ilmaestro »

Well, that movie went a little longer than I expected! But I'm back now... hopefully. You see, I found one of those things... with the hairs in the end... that you use for putting colour on small people... you know, those things. And this is what happened.

Thought I'd put up the old 'spiderman' mini for comparison, though his eyes are looking slightly less spide-y after I began to fix them, well, before that damn movie started... :?

Anyway, I know a 1 hour WIP shot is not much for you guys to really look at, this post is really just to say...

Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Just a quick update to show you guys where about 3 hours of highlighting gets me too...

Now it's time to start the shading and glazing to see if I can really darken up the model and bring some of those highlights together, before going back over some of the lightest areas to really make them stand out. I'm actually surprisingly happy with the progress at the moment, I really wanted to work out where the highest reflections for the armour might be, and I think I've done it to a satisfactory level, at least for rank and file troops.

Anyway, time to go and start that shading process, all comments and criticisms are welcome - I love to hear other people's opinions on how I can improve my models, or where (if) I am doing something right!

Cheers

ps. and for those following this from last year, expect part III of the history to be hitting a plog near you soon, as well as a few updates to parts I and II (just editing really, nothing major)... :)
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The darkish metal looks good but I advise you to be consistent. Paint all the metal the same way or else you'll have a funny-looking model. Unless they're using different metals for different things of course (brass versus bronze versus iron etc).

Be careful not to overdo the theme colour. Lots of folks put it on everything (cloth skirts, arms, scabbards, banners, leather bits and bobs, the Hydra...how very 'Paris Hilton' of them!) and it actually detracts from the army.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Thanks for the comments and advice!!

Come to think of it though, I don't think I explained myself very well - I didn't quite like the last model, so I decided to give the black armour one final shot with a different take on it. Only the armour plates will be black, whilst the chainmail/blades/anything else metal will be silver, more akin to a normal shiny metallic colour.

As for the theme colour, I totally agree, and that's part of the reason I didn't like the previous model. I think I got a little too carried away with the blue after so long staring at dark colours, and it probably suffers from a bit too much colour. Not sure how I'm going to address that with the new test mini, might end up using a black/grey/blue colour scheme to give myself another colour to work with.

Thanks for the advice, let me know what you think when the next stage comes up!
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Well, I did promise some progress, so here it is! I shaded the armour down a little, it looks a little darker now in the deepest black areas, and has toned down some of the highlights a little I think. Though it's not quite the armour that I have in mind for the final result, I think it's a step up from the original edge-highlighted model I tried, and even better still then the previous 'spidey-eyes' test model, so I'm going to stick with it for now and move on. Having said that, I'm learning more about these colours with every model I do, so I'm happy to accept this for now and move forward with the project!

But enough talk, time to show you some of the pictures!

I've also put down the base colours for the chainmail on the back of the skirt - I'm going to attempt to do the chainmail, the blade of the weapon, the little flesh-hooks, and parts of the knife/sheath in a brighter silver NMM, just trying to work out where to begin with the highlights now!

As usual, comments and criticisms are welcome and encouraged!

Cheers
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I'm not a fan of the theme color personally; it's too high elvish to me. And I don't think it flows with the black armour. But if you like it, use it! Put it on the skirt and maybe the arms and nothing else.

The black armour looks good. But do all the metal that way! Use more standard colours for the leather, the wood, etc. Try it on one single model. Trust me - it'll look badass!

BTW - a deep red cloth will match that armour really well!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

It has been interesting seeing this develop. That armour is looking amazing!
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ Phierlihy - which theme colour, the blue? I agree that it's definitely a bit of a throw back, but I'll see how it works with the rest of the dark mini in place before I fully decide to keep it. Also thanks for the tips about the wood - I haven't really decided yet how to do it, I think that might be a good idea! :)

@ Amarok - thanks buddy, I'm glad that you like the armour! Let's hope I can improve on it in the near future!