Assembling the raiding force

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Assembling the raiding force

Post by Amboadine »

Nice Woodies. Good conversions in there. Really like the Ice Elementals.
Thanks for the nice change of scene.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

You did all that in a day? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would say great paintjob, but I can't see them so well because of the light. I really like what I do see, though. :) The ice elementals are really awesome (how did you make them?) and I am very honoured to have served you as an inspiration. Mandrakes are really useful models it seems. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

So, some more painting of dark elves has happened :) I've done a master on a dark steed and a 5th unit of dark riders, including another 2 bases of slaves. I don't have pics of them (yet), but I do have WIP pics of my second unit of cold one knights, so thought I'd post up a few step by steps of them.

I've chosen to paint the riders and cold ones separately. Cold ones first.

First off I drybrushed the bases first, as this tends to be kinda messy.

I basecoated the cold one with a mix of GW knarlock green, Vallejo model colour (henceforth abbreviated to VMC) flat brown and VMC black, fairly heavily watered down.

Then I gave the whole cold one a heavy drybrush of pure GW knarlock green. This makes the model look very green, but don't worry, that'll be hidden in the mid tones by the time we're done :)

Next up was a drybrush of GW deathworld forest, again covering the whole model.

Final step for the skin was a comparatively light drybrush of GW desert yellow, this time just hitting the skin and (largely) avoiding the scales.

The scales were then overbrushed in GW baneblade brown

And finally a heavy drybrush of VMC Ivory on the scales. (pic to follow...)

Hope this has been useful or interesting to someone out there, and more will follow as the painting progresses (definately going to be finished in under 2 weeks, as I need them for a tourney!)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Always nice to understand the different techniques people use to paint, and the colours.
Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Just looked at the whole raiding force again and wow I love that fluffed army ! Those shades are my favourite. I really like the look of the dark elves but also that they all sort of invade an human town near the coast. Maybe even the best army I have seen, ever.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Somehow missed this until I saw your link from the Warlock conversion thread. So in love with your Druchii force, especially Mr. Seadragon. The way the paint works through the block of sea water is so wonderfully authentic. Will definitely keep dropping in for inspiration!
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Thanks for the kind words. :)

There probably won't be frequent updates, as I'm a little jaded to dark elves lately. Had the same thing with dwarves when I started my dark elves, and the change of army was a breath of fresh air. That said I'm painting dwarves again now, and I pushed myself further into jadedness with them than I am with dark elves; that only took ~3 years for me to come back to them, so it'll almost certainly be less for dark elves. :)

I do however have my unit of warlocks, a hero on a dark steed and that unit of cold ones now finished, so at some point I should get some decent photos of them to post on here.