Assembling the raiding force

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

Very nice painting. What strikes me most though, is how incredibly characterful your army is. I'm a huge fan of the landing ship and your harpies. I can't wait to see what you'll pull out of your hat next.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

So, a week of painting later and I've finished my dark riders. The sorceress's Pegasus is also done but the rider is barely started so still plenty to do there before she's ready to be shown.

Thanks again for all the kind words, you are all helping keep me motivated!
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Those are the best glade rider kit bash to dark riders I've seen IMHO. Good job!
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Glade riders, corsairs and dark eldar in there from what I can see. Very nice.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Yup, you spotted the main parts. The heads are from wood elf archers, as they're nicely hooded, with the bare head from the dark eldar wyches. A few bits from the dark elf warriors (spears and rxb) and a trailing chain from the marauder horsemen. Oh, and green stuff to change the angle of the cloaks and make the leather horse strappings all scaly.

Quite alot of fun to do, which is handy as I need to get another 9 done by mid-February...

Oh, and bases not finished yet, I really need to get around to ordering some basing materials!
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Finally a decent conversion of Glade Guard into Dark Riders! Every other conversion has always made me want to say "the Wood Elves called; they want their horses back...". But this is painted suitably dark and nicely converted. That is one mean looking unit that I don't think anyone is going to want to mess with! Good job!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow, you really get the conversion of a whole new level, they don't look at all like wood elves now! Gret job, looking forward to more. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Hi again,

Thanks to all the complements I've been extra motivated and finished off a chariot to add to the reading party. Here it is:

Hope you like it, and if anyone has any ideas how to make the second chariot I'm doing better or different whilst still dark elf-ing it up I'd love to hear them!
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Really Love what you have done with the Dark Riders - the steed's armour is amazing! And your chariot is stunning! Nice Work! :)
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Thanks, that armour was a blessing in disguise; what started out as an inconvenience from using the wood elf horses turned into something that helps tie the force together! Necessity is the mother of invention and all that...

Am looking forward to my order of being supplies arriving, page bases like the chariot's are just crying out for some tufts, it should really help the look of the army.
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

I real like the looks of your cold ones here :D
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Lovely stuff so far. I may have to borrow the chariot conversion.

Thanks for sharing.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

very nice stuff :)
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

I absolutely love that chariot! Makes me look at mine and cry at it's awfullness!

The plating that you've sculpted over where there saddle was is particularly good!
Samusin
Executioner

Post by Samusin »

haha indeed thetosh haha
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Wow!! That chariot turned out beautifully!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

So, ive got the Christmas break to do loads of painting, but the first couple of days haven't been as productive as I'd have liked... So I've resolved to make daily updates here to try to help me stay on track.

In the last two days I've achieved this:
And this:

By the end of today I aim to have some riders on those cold ones, as well as having added the finishing touches to the cold ones themselves (just claws and highlights on the metals to go). Also, my chariot fits quite nicely as a unit filler which wasn't planned but works out well. Oh, and no painting is planned for tomorrow, before I get flayed alive before I'm even started. Other than that I will definitely show you all how much (or little) I paint each day between now and next Tuesday.

The beastie is going to be a baby sea dragon, which will count as a hydra. Lots of water effects will be added to the base, filing it up to almost the top of the tail, and a very surprised empire sentry/fisherman will be on the pier. A couple of questions though; do you think vestigial wings would look good? Any ideas for how to model the handlers?
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

1 word: Awesome!!
Your Dark riders are sublime!

as to your hydra: how about adding chains to the beast that the handlers hold... maybe a kind of saddle-thingy to represent them not drowning when the sea monster is swimming...
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow, that dragon is made of pure awesome already, I can't wait to see it finished! It's such an original idea and goes really well with your army theme.
Last edited by Rowena on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

So, mixed news. Having committed to daily updates proved motivational, but those riders are progressing slower than hoped...
Time spent painting today: 6 hours
Achievements: 6 riders painted to this stage: Image
Just a couple more layers on the armour, gold (3 layers), silver (2-3 layers), stirrups 2 layers) skin 4-5 layers), face wraps 2-3 layers, shield symbols and pennants (4 layers) and tidy up the black and they'll be finished. Sounds like the best part of another day painting :( new target is to have them finished and to have made a start assembling the next unit by the end of boxing day.

@Samsuin: hope you'll like the knights when they're finished too then!

@Hatred: please go ahead, but as I don't think my chariot is particularly original, I don't really think the idea's mine to borrow.

@the Tosh: I hope you're joking, the last thing I want to do is discourage fellow painters! Glad you like the plating though, I was in two minds about bothering, but figured that if I didn't I'd be forever more dissatisfied with the outcome so its nice to see someone else appreciate it. :)
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Those dark riders are beautiful :shock:

And I really like the Sea Dragon idea. In regards to the finishing touches have you looked at the old man'o'war artwork and models? I imagine you have already but it may provide inspiration for fitting handlers onto the setup. Also, if it is a Sea Dragon I would avoid wings.

Cheers for the updates,

T.
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Ok, painting schedule has suffered from the horribly addictive nature of Far cry 3...

Still, made some progress today on the knights, who now all look like this:
Now just the pennants & shield symbol (same colour), silver and tidying the black to go, plus I need to come up with some freehand for the banner, but that is going to have to wait for inspiration to strike.

In other news, I've decided that by the end of Tuesday I need to have finished 9 more dark riders if I'm too stand a chance of taking my planned army to the tournament in February. It's tough, but I think doable, and psychologically the biggest hurdle to getting the army finished in time. And on the Sea dragon front, careful reading of the monster and handler rule made me realise that they don't need to be separate models, so I think chained on saddles are a win; it just so happens I have two saddles left over from making that chariot , so that all works our nicely! :)
Samusin
Executioner

Post by Samusin »

I can't wait to see your new progres then ;)
2/4/3

Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Finally I can report success: my cold one knights are complete, with the exception of the standard. Here they are:
Yes, they rank up!
And a close up of one of them's face, to show how well the dark eldar heads fit:
Now on to the dark riders; there's hope that they shall go to the tourney!
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Wow.
Love the crisp paint jobs, especially the COK shields.
Simple yet very striking.
Keep up the good work - and continue to inspire us.