Advice on parts for converting warlocks

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
ferny
Trainee Warrior

Advice on parts for converting warlocks

Post by ferny »

Hi guys,

While they're kinda growing on me, I'm not really a huge fan of the GW warlocks models and I think there's so much potential to do something more interesting to represent them. I have a few ideas and I was wondering whether you folks have actually done some of these and could share pics or if you've got more ideas I haven't thought of.

1. steeds of slaanesh with dark elves (warlocks? wyches?) on
2. horses with deamonettes on
3. straight up seekers of slaanesh
4. tzeench screemers with elf surfers (maybe legs from the DE range which are on hoverboards) - got this idea from Dark Reapers blog
5. replace warlock face (and hair, which is what I think I really object to) with dryad
6...I'm sure I had more....

Please share your pics, I wanna oggle at some lovely kit bashes!
Makiwara wrote:The Brettonian real estate market is wide open right now, find yourself a castle, it'll be good fun.
kunimitsu
Corsair

Re: Advice on parts for converting warlocks

Post by kunimitsu »

never seen the dark reaper blog, but based on my trial version of warlocks it was dark elder hellions with skeleton heads on screamers of tzeentch. Really hard to rank up and didn't look as great as I had imagined
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I'd suggest daemonette torsoes on the dark rider legs and steeds. Not an overly complex conversion and gives a very distinctive look. Personally, I've never liked the overly mutated look of the daemonette claws, so I took the extra step of using witch elf arms so that the girls would have 2 arms and no claws. That makes it a bit more involved but not too bad.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I'd say it depends how distinctive and chaosy you want them to be. I really like the version with daemonettes or conversion using dark eldar mandrakes, which kinda makes them as they were supposed to be, only nice-looking. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

I was thinking about 40k Wych elves torsos with wood elf sisters of the thorn heads myself.
And keep the Warlock weapons for recognziability. And shave off a bit of the rather big feet.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I also did not liked the hair, but the faces and torso had something tribal. I think dryad faces might also light very good on them. While you might be more into the slaanesh fluff concerning your idea, I also did not liked that fluff too much. So my fluff is that while raiding in Arabia they spared these shaman warrios for their bravery to become auxiliries. As Warlocks are totally different than the other dark elves.

Here are my African inspired warlocks, hair is cut, empire militia weapons and warrior shields (curved for tribal, wooden look)

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

@Lord Drakon - love the bold, unique take on them. Not to my aesthetic, but lots of respect for the creative vision and taking them in your own direction. The zebra pattern is nicely realised on their flanks especially. Nice one!

@ferny - Kekenda has some awesome wolf/warlock conversions on this thread http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75869. I have the same wolves bought, probably mounting Sisters of the Thorn unless I can find some legs to go with chopped up Witch Elves.
ferny
Trainee Warrior

Post by ferny »

Some awesome ideas here - thanks guys. I actually have a bunch of fenrisian wolves I got in a trade so might try that as they look so smart.

I was also thinking today about attaching a skycutter to screamers (nothing to do with warlocks, just for fun :P)
Makiwara wrote:The Brettonian real estate market is wide open right now, find yourself a castle, it'll be good fun.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

I've converted up a unit of witch elves on steeds of slaneesh, and think they look good! A bit of greenstuffing was needed to get a pair of bent legs to fit the saddles, but some more modest loincloths than most witches have easily covered most of the affected area.

If you do go down that route, I'd suggest putting a little thought into how they rank up. With those long noses (and tongues!) and tails, my unit now only ranks up in line abreast.

Alternatively, I've made a unit of wood elf glade riders on wolves which have a very dynamic look to them. Check out my plog if you fancy seeing a (not great quality) photo of them!