My try at a custom cauldron conversion. Wip comments welcome

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Sun-tzu
Corsair

My try at a custom cauldron conversion. Wip comments welcome

Post by Sun-tzu »

Hey everyone! After seeing a few custom cauldron conversions I decided to try to do one myself. My skills aren't very good so bare with me. I debated for awhile to do a standard alter type cauldron but that didn't fit since it can now move around. I also considered a chariot type thing pulled by cold ones, but a cauldron causes terror and cold ones only cause fear. So I said hey dark elves are known for breaking any creature in the whfb world to do their will. Why not a cauldron/alter of khaone on a monster. That's pretty terrifying. So here's my try so far.

Please let me know what you think. I feel it's lacking something but can't put my finger on it.

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

That is waaaaaaaaay to big and VERY misleading to anyone who is not intimately familiar with the Dark Elf army book. I give that a big thumbs down. I like the idea personally but still "no!".
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

I like this piece, but where is supposed to be the actual cauldron? Or blood?
As an altar of Khaine It's pretty good...
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

It's certainly grand. If truth be told it is probably a bit big for game play but I quite like the result. However it is conspicuous in lacking a cauldron. It is supposed to be a cauldron of blood after all, some kind of gory pot might help clarify things.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Couple questions, fist is what is the dragon model and where did you get it. I'm looking for a model like that for an awesome conversion I have planned (awesome for me, maybe crappy by other standards).

Secondly, the conversion is very nice, love the creativity shown, however it is going to give you a big disadvantage on the battlefield as the LoS rules are going to mean you are hammerd. If this is ok with you then go for it. Especially if your foes don't mind being all intimidated as hell by a massive fire breathing hydra....er cauldron.

Quite frankly this looks more like something for a Legendary battle, you should write up your own rules and just go to town with it. See how tough it really is etc....
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Well the actual cauldron model has no base. So to say its to big is up to personal interpretation. The base size for this model is the same size as a terrorgiest/mammoth thingy. So isn't to large IMHO. Yes it may be misleading cuz there's a giant moster that doesn't have any attacks, but it's not much larger (an may actually be smaller) than some of the other conversions out there. Examples there a 18 wheeler looking cart with the forge world avatar on it and my favorite conversion so far from cult of khaine with the floating rock thingy.

My gaming group actually likes it. Ecause it has a base now and can accurately be determined where it is and if it is hit by a template tho to my disadvantage. No big deal.

Yes it's lacking the cauldron part I'm working on that but haven't found something suitable yet.

Any ideas???
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Underway its a Papo dragon model. I found it on sale for under $10. I carefully cut off the wings to make room for the altar placement.

I don't need to worry about Los because a cauldron is a large target of I remember correctly so can not benefit from concealment from other models except other large models.

Yes now that it is much bigger than a chariot base it is a bit more difficult to maneuver but I'm not a power gamer so Im ok with it. Plus once it's pained will make a nice show case piece to my army. IMHO

Look forward to seeing your conversion.

Search Papo figurines you'll find tons of dragons that may help with your conversion. Gl
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Love the idea and conversion mate!..but too big, dont you think so?
Death before dishonor
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Why is everyone saying its to big?

Since the actual cauldron model does not have a model what is the general consensus of the base size for cauldron?

This is my favorite conversion to date from cult of khaine. I don't have the skills to duplicate or money to commission.
it looks like his is either 80mm x 80mm or 100mm x 100mm.

Mine is 100mm x 120mm?
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

lol look at the size of the models on top.. tht thing is actually kinda small
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

The models are 20mm size bases. 3 in line is 60mm plus spacing squared is at least 80mm
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

It looks to be about 80-90mm square around the stone platform, but the base looks smaller and I don't think it's just the perspective. My guess is that base is 60mm square.

I do really like your idea, it is dynamic and striking. In fact it's made me consider doing something similar myself, although for mine I'm thinking of the monster being obviously too weighed down for it to fight. Anyhow, its inspired me, so thank you for posting.

Lone suggestion; the banner looks too heavy for her to hold the way she is. If the bottom end were to be impaling some recent sacrifice it would serve to stabilise it, and its not like she has to be removable to use the cauldron...
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

The suggestion of stabilizing the Banner in a new corpse is an awesome idea. Fluffwise when used/hoised in that manner could supply inspiration to the units surrounding.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

Thanks for the idea on the banner! I will work something out for that and it will serve better as being a cauldron, with an impaled victim on the banner.

I'm glad I could inspire you heartsbane. Look forward to seeing your conversion.

I wanted to do a monster that hand a lower stature so to be more a beast of burden but couldn't find anything suitable and dark elf like. Lizards and turtles didn't seem fierce enough. Lol

Works been keeping me from working on this model lately. Hope to have some progress soon.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I love it... but it's definitely going to confuse people. It looks like a hydra or dragon, not a Cauldron.
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

I found a good model for a corpse on the end of the banner.

Wouldve liked a high elf but this will do.

Yeah I thought about the confusion but my hydras are normal models. I'll post a pic of my army later so you guys can see scale.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Sun-Tzu The bas of my Cauldron is 60x60mm the top section 80x80mm

I like the concept of this conversion but that platform you have on top is way to big! To me the dragon seems out of place. Why not put the models in front of it and have it rising out of the ground from behind the altar.
Sun-tzu
Corsair

Post by Sun-tzu »

cultofkhaine wrote:@Sun-Tzu The bas of my Cauldron is 60x60mm the top section 80x80mm

I like the concept of this conversion but that platform you have on top is way to big! To me the dragon seems out of place. Why not put the models in front of it and have it rising out of the ground from behind the altar.

Thanks for the clarification cult.

I can't quite picture in my mind your suggestions for modification. Guess my lack of artistic talent. Lol would you mind posting up a scketch, if it's not to much trouble?

Thanks!