[PLOG] Cult of Khaine

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

[PLOG] Cult of Khaine

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hello All, I have been lurking on this forum for a number of years with the adhock post here and there and I thought it was about time to put up some new photos of things I have been working on lately.

So here you go!

BLACK GUARD - This took me ages, I am a really slow painter so to paint 30 of these guys took me a good month or so. I am happy with how they came out, was going for a limited colour scheme to keep the look dark and edgy.

RELEASE THE KRAKEN - This was a fun distraction, it took a while to pin all the arms on it. I had a play with water effects as well. I like the two beastmasters.

DARK ELF SORCERESS ON A DARK STEED - This was a nice little conversion with a few bits I had kicking about.

CROSSBOW UNIT - I have about 6 of these that I have been working on and just realised lately that I had not taken any photos of them. I like putting string in the bows - to me it just finishes the model off.

TEMPLE OF BLOOD - I have made a few pieces of terrain just to have a brake from painting dark elves.

SOME TREES - I used rare earth magnets on the leaves so I could have the option of using them with or without.

THE ENEMY - The High Elf Lord was a nice change to paint (something not Black) The Arcain Ruins box from GW was great, I was able to make so many different pieces of terrain just fom the one box.

CAULDRON OF BLOOD - more images can be seen at the link below

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=70664&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

DARK ELF SORCERESS

That's all for now, I am currently working on 30 Executioners that are keeping me quite busy.

[/url]
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

What can I say: I like a whole whole lot.

That and submit photoes to 'evy metal in a portfolio now, either as a resume or: See this? this is what we want in the new book.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

I love your Kraken and beastmasters :)
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

thats some awesome stuff mate!!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Irrelevant
Trainee Warrior

Post by Irrelevant »

Really cool minis. The kraken blew my mind, and your beast masters look sweet.
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Loving the black.guard mate. Top stuff. You have sold me on black cloth. Care to share your method?

Really nice blood effetcs on the temple too. Tamiya clear red by any chance?

I have been thinking of adding string to my crossbows. Was thinking of trying stretched sprue. What did you use and how did you do it?

(if you don't mind giving away your trade secrets ;) ).

Cheers

- Amarok
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Amarok

For the Black Guard I used Adeptus BattleGrey and Bolt Gun Metal on most parts covered with plenty of Badab Black to dull it right down. Then I came back and picked out the highlights. i only used gold on the comand group to show thier importance.

For the crossbows I have just used plain black cotton, once tied I normally dab each corner with a small amount of superglue.

I also seal all my models with Testers Dull Coat spray to give them a super matt finish, If you do this to your models make sure you do it before putting the cotton on as the seal can tend to clump on it and make it look bad.

The temple blood was a base coat of Mechrite red and drybrush blood red. Then I poured in the water effects and did a coupl of layers to build up the depth. on the last pour I mixed in some red wash with the water effects and swirled it all around - gave a good effect.
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

The Kraken is an awesome model! Congrats on your Temple of Blood - Looks amazing!
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

lol that blood temple thing looks disgustingly real 030 put some bathing witch ellves in it and you have a second cauldron -.-
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Re: [PLOG] Cult of Khaine

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

cultofkhaine wrote:

You are a Legend.
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Cheers for the tips mate. As I said, it's kraken stuff (har har. Sorry ;) ). Particularly the tip of attaching the string AFTER dullcoating. I use dullcoat too and that would have ruined my day after tying forty of the little buggers on :)

Top notch all round. Looking forward to seeing more :)
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

What do you use to photograph your pictures against? Background?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Gidean, I have a small Sony Cybershot Camera that I set the focus to a micro setting on (seems to focus ok) I also purchased a photo tent of ebay somthing like the link below for about $100, there are lots to choose from

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Photo-Studio-Light-Tent-Kit-8-Backdrops-40cm-80cm-2x-Tent-Carry-Bag-Bonus-/130836949603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e767d6a63

The main thing is to use globes in your lighting that reflect the sunlight and not fluro lights as these suck all the colour out of the images. I think its luminace of 5500k.

Once the photos are taken I pull them into Photoshop and with a couple of clicks adjust the white point in the image (and they come out like these)

I normally use a few sheets of A4 white paper to sit the models on rather that using the light tent as a background. The aim of the light tent is to disperse the light evenly around the model and reduce shadows.

Hope this helps :-)
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

Love the big stand for the Cauldron. Makes it look suitably terrifying.
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Great work!!! Really fantastic!

For me, both "bloods" take the price though: both the Temple of Blood and the Cauldron of Blood. Really top notch work. Really envious.

Thanks for sharing, best regards,
Rafa.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Dwarfs - Distractions from my Dark Elf Army

Well I needed a break from painting Dark Elves, after putting my armies on parade board together and turned my attention to a few dwarfs that I had kicking about. One thing led to another and over the past couple of months I have been able to paint a good 2000pts to gaming standard.

So for your viewing pleasure I post my progress so far. Most of the army came from the Battle for Skull Pass box set and a number of bits I was able to scrap together. I few conversions took place and I was also able to scratch build a nice size airship out of some odds and ends. I still have a few more units to paint and hope to have them finished soon.

Cannon and Crew

Organ Gun and Crew

Warriors from Skull Pass

Thunderers Unit

Ironbreakers

Miners - love these guys wanted to paint them like they were tunnelling.

Converted King from warriors bits

Skull Pass Troll Slayer

AoW Slayer - great pose on this guy!

Converted Engineer

Skull Pass Thane

Converted Rune Smith

Unit Filler - Explosives upgrade for the Miners

AoW Thane

Skull Pas Grudge Pony

A few spare old models I had left over.

My converted air ship! I scratch built this from a pile of bits I had about the place.

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow, that baloon is amazing! :shock: :shock: :shock:
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Rowena wrote:Wow, that baloon is amazing! :shock: :shock: :shock:

^ This exactly! I love you model & had hoped GeeDub would have done something similar as opposed to the flying submarines they went with.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very, very nice work. Balloon is awesome and the whole army looks nicely put together.
Impressed.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@XFallenx yep I agree - I think the new flying machines look to 40k, they would have looked far better if they were more mish mash rather then so refined in design. I think powered by hot air is a far better substitute and more fitting.

It was great to make, the top section was a Christmas Bauble with medical mesh glued onto it. The rope was all done with copper wire, the carriage just balsa wood glued around a cardboard frame.

This has been a great distraction from my Dark Elves, I have a few more units to paint and then I am back to a new section of my Dark Elf army... Thinking about a Corsair Fleet or perhaps City Guard themed army.

Thanks for the comments guys - you help motivate me to paint more.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

'Tis the Season for Stunties!

I really like these units. A nice contrast to your DE stuff. Miners in particular are sublime, and I love the inflatable "Gyrobomber" :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Some more work on my stunties, I knocked this out in a couple of weekends and it was a lot of fun to make. Below are the WIP photos and the final shots. This was for my Armies on Parade board. Made mostly from Balsa Wood and Polystyrene.

CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

That is fantastic work! Thanks for posting, I love seeing modelling at that level, gives me something to aim for even if I don't achieve out :shock:
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Amazing work there. Great to see the WIP shots too.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

That's really awesome, all the details... :shock: How long did it take you to make?
And thanks for the WIP shots, it's fascinating for me to see something like this being created.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.