What did you get done over christmas so far? I rebased my Dark Elves.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Sigur
Black Guard

What did you get done over christmas so far? I rebased my Dark Elves.

Post by Sigur »

Phew, good thing I still remembered my log-in. :) According to the forums, last time I logged in was in spring of 2011. Hello, how have you all been?

I rebased my Dark Elves army over the christmas holidays, so I thought this was a good occasion to get back to post on druchii.net. Not the least because I never did an army shot of my Dark Elves before. :D

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/mon ... ce2f25.jpg

Painted them about 20 years ago when I got into warhammer fantasy for a second time, then based "to fit the army" rather than gaming tables or opponents' armies. Which of course is a weird thing to do, but I was more young than practical.

Here's a shot of my army's last major outing in 2015 for a Kings of War test game:

...and now they hopefully go better with various green gaming tables. I left the painting as it is, with one small exception - the witch elves were eight so far; now they're 27, although I cheated and added the two guardians of the Cauldron of Blood, a cheerleader (they're going for stupid money on the internet, as I saw yesterday :D ) and another plastic sorceress from 2010 to get the unit to 27. But even without cheating it's still a nice block of 24 figures. Because everyone needs a cheerleader in their ranks. :P Painting is kept very simple; just so that they match the rest of the army painted 20(!) years ago. Concerning the witch elves- yes, those are the ones from 4th edition. I had a bit of a crush on the 4th/5th edition dark elves back then, even if they're not objectively incredibly pretty. I was also happy with the 2000 dark elf range, with two exceptions: the hydra (and the dragon, compared to the 4th edition dragon). They're too iconic) and the witch elves. They were too thin and too 'ripped' for my tastes, and the hair just wasn't even remotely comparable to the glory of the hairstyles on the 4th edition witch elves.

I also like the new plastic witch elves (although they don't even come close to their Marauder counterparts in terms of hairstyle). But they hadn't been released then, so a bunch of years ago I bought a lot of the Marauder witch elves when I had the chance. :)

Of course, the standard-bearer of the Cold One Knights was added later as well; it must have been very soon after the release of that box, so 2010? 2009? I don't know.

I don't have an exact plan for what I'm going to do with them, but at least that's done now. :) It was kind of on my mind. I still have a few things in reserve (remaining plastic cold one knights box, another complete metal chariot and the three boxes of fat stuff that came out from GW [new hydra, new cauldron with show stairs, new black dragon]. I bought those a few years ago in case they disappeared with Warhammer. Didn't happen anyway, but having something like that is better than not having it. )

Btw, the sorceress (in the army photo with the corsairs on the front left) always looks like the one on the left in my head.
Same with the witch elves.

What still needs to be done, however, apart from possibly tackling the things mentioned above: The Dark Riders still need pennants for their lances, and the Cauldron of Bloos is missing those scythe blade things. I took them off for Kings of War when the cauldron formed a unit with the Witch Elves. Now I wanted to put them back on. After looking through various boxes, I had to grudgingly realize that I can't find the one round thing. It would be rather annoying if that was gone and my cauldron was no longer complete. Fingers crossed.

Of course you could do a LOT of touching up with the painting and so on, but for now it's nice that I now have a unit of witch elves, the whole gang is now based more nicely in my opinion, and also photographed together. I hadn't done that before either. And for the "omg I have a few days off, I can make my own stuff, what should I do!" Christmas project it was ok. :) Hope you like them!
Battle Brush Studios - Professional Miniature Painting and Modelling

Also look me up on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (battle.brush.studios)!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: What did you get done over christmas so far? I rebased my Dark Elves.

Post by Calisson »

:D Plenty of old shool models!
Wondering, which game and version are you playing?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sigur
Black Guard

Post by Sigur »

Cheers! That is a good question. :D Only occasions I got some Dark Elves out for gaming over the past years was for fantasy skirmishing (Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes, Sellswords and Spellslingers or Rangers of Shadow Deep). For a while we considered playing Impetus with Fantasy figures, then Hail Caesar, but it never quite worked out. But my gaming buddy is constantly building 28mm fantasy armies from old GW stuff (O&G, Empire, now that he saw I rebased my DElves he conjured up a big box of metal high elves as an opposition and seems to work on those ...), so I suppose we could get'em out and on the table at pretty much any point. :)
Battle Brush Studios - Professional Miniature Painting and Modelling

Also look me up on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (battle.brush.studios)!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Welcome back! New Edition, new life blood. Lets make this happen!

As for me, I think it was glue bacl togeather and tuch up on some paint stuff. Most of my major pproects started in January and will be mostly put on hold for a while (lots of things happening at once).
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra