PLOG! A first for me.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Re: PLOG! A first for me.

Post by Malys the younger »

Direweasel,

I believe he said it was for keeping bases consistent. I wouldn't want to use house paint on anything I wanted to look nice!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Malys the younger wrote:Direweasel,

I believe he said it was for keeping bases consistent. I wouldn't want to use house paint on anything I wanted to look nice!

Yes...I only use it to paint movement trays, the edges around bases and to drybrush gravel and rocks.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

OK well perhaps I'll put my ignorance on display here, as I have to admit never actually using the stuff. Is it not oil-based? Would I need special paint thinners and cleaners and such for my brushes? Or is this stuff water based?
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

If it's an oil or enamel house paint, then yes.

Latex, not so much.

By now there might even be indoor acrylics. Been a while since I shopped for house paints.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

I'm not sure as to the composition of the paint....but it's definately a water thinned and water cleanup. Very resilient...I use metal move trays (magnet bases) and the paint withstands a lot of wear..
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

That was my concern - thanks! :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK, so here's what I'm up to next....getting started on yet to be named Secret Santa figure....

I finally located some Executioner draichs (thanks to the WFB online community and a severe no thanks to the inept "bitz" industry! You'd think that the world would be flooded with draichs and BG halberds being that every box comes with 10 that you dont need....).

....so back to our story...

First we hack down the arm because it looked a bit too large and had some sleevage and stuff that didn't look right....

Then we cover up the spot where the oversized back spike protruded from her back....

And smooth over some other little joins and some 40kish stuff (not much of that at all on this excellent figure, BTW)

Meanwhile, in a bit of a Beauty and the Beast thing....I'm also working on a massive ForgeWorld Giant. Puttying over some mold lines....

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

A little progress on Zorah tonight. Once the glue sets, then she's get her arm built back up and then some armor doodads to finish it off. I didn't know whether I'd use the left forearm from the succubus, but it worked out well with a little bit of trimming to make the pose fit.:

ImageImage
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Coming along nicely. Looking forward to the giant too.
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Looking good! I missed the last week or so of updates, you have been busy.
The hydras look great and Zorah is very nicely posed, cant wait to see her painted.
Thanks for the tip about the tester pots for bases, very useful
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Love the conversion on Zorah - that dramatic diagonal line along the draich and her leg is so fantastically worked.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Great work on the Hydras, I really like your choice of colors for them and those skulls add quite a bit of extra oomph. Glad to see the old Hydra still being painted an displayed as its a great sculpt (the new one doesn`t work at all for me).

Looking forward to Zorah and especially your take on the Bonecrusher! :D
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK, so its the time of year for seasonal distractions....we are doing a Disneyland/Pirate thing this year, so I tried my hand at nail art on my wife's nails....

ImageImage
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Excellent work on the nails :)
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

I think a new career awaits you Scott!
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK, so I decided that Grugnöld, the giant needed some bushy eyebrows...

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice touch Lion, put a wispy beard on him, paint it white and he could pass for you know who :P
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice eyebrows :)
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Ridiculously well executed as always - great character!
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Hmm interesting, seems like your giant has a different head than mine.
Looking very much forward to when its finished :D
Kreol
Brush Master

Post by Kreol »

I just imagine this giant with moustaches,glasses and cigar, looking like Groucho Marx ;) You are starting new army or it is some extra project?
So GooD To Be EviL!!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Rakariel wrote:Hmm interesting, seems like your giant has a different head than mine.
Looking very much forward to when its finished :D

Mine is the older one, which accounts for my confusion on your thread about the base size. When FW remade the big dude, they altered his stance to fit on a standard giant base. I have hatched a scheme for wound counters for this guy which I think will be cool, as well.

Kreol wrote:I just imagine this giant with moustaches,glasses and cigar, looking like Groucho Marx ;) You are starting new army or it is some extra project?

Hmmmm....you have set me thinking. I don't think I'd go full on Groucho, but the cigar idea has possibilities. Orcs are actually my first WFB army and I get nostalgic every once in a while and make some new orcy stuff. It's been quite a while and the greenskins are due.....
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

I think this typifies your work - attitude-bad-assery. I don't like reading every update you make, as you make them. I get a kick watching the thread count build up then spending a good half hour reading the lot. I think it goes without saying that I think your stuff is great.

I hope I haven't come too late in with this one though. Have you thought of changing the position of your latest work?

Here's what I mean:

When I saw the first WIP my automatic thought was that the great sword would be before the strike, following the general flow of the model. However I love what you've done, modeling it as if the strike was falling. I thought I'd just throw this suggestion in the melting pot.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Cynath ch'ill wrote:
I hope I haven't come too late in with this one though. Have you thought of changing the position of your latest work?

When I saw the first WIP my automatic thought was that the great sword would be before the strike, following the general flow of the model. However I love what you've done, modeling it as if the strike was falling. I thought I'd just throw this suggestion in the melting pot.

I agree 100% that's why I bought two of them so I could do it both ways :D

The pose that you suggest takes up a lot of space to the right side and since I'm doing this one for the Secret Santa thing, I thought that it would be better for my mystery recipient to have a model that would be easier to rank up. I'm sure you've done this as well; when you have a funky hero that takes up a lot of side space, I will position a RNF model on the next base in such a way as to make some extra space for the character.
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Ahhhhh I knew there was a reason. Makes perfect sense. You're a far more practical man than me.