DRUCHII.NET RAGING HEROES PAINTING COMPETITION - Novice

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Vote for the winner of this category

Poll ended at Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:11 am

Jarvax
43%
Zlatan
36%
Amarok
No votes
Ratti
No votes
Lion of Flanders (Jnr)
2%
Rowena
14%
Lord Drakon
5%
Xfallenx
No votes

Total votes: 42

Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Re: DRUCHII.NET RAGING HEROES PAINTING COMPETITION

Post by Jarvax »

Category: Novice School

Before:

After:
Last edited by Jarvax on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zlatan
Dark Rider

Post by Zlatan »

BEFORE

image hosting

AFTER

windows screenshot
Last edited by Zlatan on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Category - Novice school

Before

NB - Photo udpated to reflect last minute prep, i.e LGS removed, holes in base drilled and greenstuff 'footprints' added to give him a flat surface to be attached to.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Rätti
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Rätti »

Before:

(this is before I stripped the mini of its previous paint)

After:

Last edited by Rätti on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

My son's entry (he's thinking of a screen name)

Post by Lion of flanders »

My eight year old son is working on his first figure and we didn't read the rules until after he got started, so we must beg forgiveness. Here is his work in progress shot:

AFTER

Last edited by Lion of flanders on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Category: Novice school

Before:

After:

Image Image
(different settings, neither perfect. My camera hates me)

Side and back:
Image Image

Magic school markers:

Metal (Gehennas Golden Hounds):

Shadow (The Penumbral Pendulum):

Fire (Cascading Fire-Cloak):

(I hope this many pictures are ok)
Last edited by Rowena on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

BEFORE

AFTER

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

RAGING HEROES NOVICE CATEGORY

Post by cultofkhaine »

Voting is now open for the Raging Heroes Novice Category.
Please cast your vote for your favourite entry to determine the winner of this category.

Voting closes in 8 days from this post and the person with the highest number of votes will be declared the winner on this category.

PLEASE NOTE: YOU MAY CAST YOUR VOTE ONLY ONCE SO MAKE IT COUNT!!!

Please post comments on this thread about the entries and why you have voted. Keep in mind that this category also takes into consideration how well users have taken on feedback and applied it to their model - have a look through the competition chat thread.

Because there is still a number of entries that have not being submitted at the time of this post - entrants may still submit a final photo in their entry post along with the before photo on this thread if they can. They will be penalised by missing out on valuable voting time the longer they leave it.

Good Luck to all.
Zlatan
Dark Rider

Re: NOVICE CATEGORY - RAGING HEROES COMPETITION

Post by Zlatan »

My vote's for Jarvax.

Striking colours, good pose, nice freehand work and he's taken feedback into account.
I love the weathering he's put on the metal.

I think everyone's a winner though! (Sorry for the cheesy cliché but it's true)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

My final pictures uploaded.

I also vote for Jarvax, I especially love the smooth blending on the cloak and the freehand is just stunning (and even harder to do than it seems)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I'll comment only at the moment. Will vote later.

1 Xfallenx
No pic "after". He is out of competition for being Mod, but we can still vote for him.

2 Jarvax
Excellent choice of pics, daring to show details. Apreciate highly.

3 Zlatan
After pic with three different angles, excellent.

4 Amarok
No aft pic.

5 Ratti
Only one pic after. Please provide more pics, taken more closely.

6 Kitten of Flanders (Jnr)
No aft pic.

7 Rowena
Nice pics. Unfortunately, none from side or rear.
I would suggest a closer pic of Golden Hound (the hound is difficult to apreciate), a frontal pic of full shadows sorc, and a more lateral pic of Fire sorc. A pic from rear detailing hair and top of staff would be apreciated, too.

8 Lord Drakon
The three after pics are taken from nearly same angle. Could you edit to show different angles and closer details?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Tonight I will upload more pictures of side / rear / faces / skewered head

My vote goes to Zlatan, although I also like the one of Jarvax very much. Zlatan, amazing body, suiting conversion and what made me vote for you is the fact that it seems she is actually cursing magic upon the enemy, she is alive and kicking while Jarvax is standing (epicly) on the battlefield to confront an enemy army.

It brings a model alive, as I tried to bring this executioner champion alive by giving hints that he is very dangerous in close combat because the head and blood, but also unstoppable, even after a volley of enemy archers.

My inspiration:
Zlatan
Dark Rider

Post by Zlatan »

Thanks for the nice comments Lord Drakon - especially the one about my great body! I don't hear that as often as I'd like to.

I agree your mini looks pretty bad-ass.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: DRUCHII.NET RAGING HEROES PAINTING COMPETITION - Novice

Post by xFallenx »

2 more photos to go and we're ready to start casting those votes. Everything looks great so far. (A few more angles on a couple as Cal mentioned)
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

Thanks a lot for your kind words. It's Saturday and it's time to vote!

Every entry is awesome in it's own way and for different reasons but my vote goes to Rowena for that side photo (?!). No, really.
I appreciate, because I find it hard to do, the perfectly painted human-elvish (or even ogrish) skin. And I think Rowena achieved that goal better than the rest of us, in this thread/competition or at other threads/Plogs. Plus, she gave us a very beautiful miniature with simple but effective, for their purpose, conversions.

Finally, everyone is a winner. At least I know I am, because I experimented on new things and found out that they are not so difficult to do, even if the first try doesn't come out perfect.

Good luck to everyone.
Last edited by Jarvax on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
LustrianVisitor
Slave on the Altar

Post by LustrianVisitor »

There are some wonderfully cruel looking modus here but my vote has gone to the purple cloud riding priestess. I think it's the most ambitious of the entries.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

@ Jarvax
Fantastic mini! I love the conversion work and the banner in particular, very well done! You took the advice of the community quite well and adapted your mini and style, and it shows. Very good overall, and the recipient of my vote :)

@ Zlatan
Such a lovely mini! I really like the OSL on the sorceress, it's a very hard technique to pull off and you've done well! The freehand on the back of the sorceress is quite nice too, really great way to break up the large plain area. All in all it was probably between this model and the previous for my vote, so I hope a second place vote from me is a consolation :) I can't wait to see your plog progress though, I'll be watching closely!

@ Amarok
Disappointed that you haven't gotten a finished product up yet, I would have loved to wait and see but unfortunately I might not have internet access for the next week and hence needed to vote now! Please post it when it's done anyway, I'd love to see it!

@ Ratti
Haven't seen that model for a while! Really nice work on the banner, the green centre is really well blended and smooth. I would have liked a little more freehand on it imho, and maybe to make the two serpents on either side a little smaller to allow for it. Otherwise it's a really nice mini, and a few more photos would have been good!

@ cub of flanders
What a great job! Only 8 years old and already doing so well, I'm very impressed! You have not only done the basics very well by keeping the paint on the right parts of the mini, but furthermore the highlighting on the orange pants and the skin is very good! Very impressed, can't wait to see more of this army!

@ Rowena
I love the mini! You've done a great job with it, it suits your other minis very well! I think though that it's missing a few shades and highlights, especially the skin. It's a very large area on this model, and I think that either shading each individual area a little more (even using blue/black glazes on any area facing down) or even just making the lower parts a little darker than the higher ones would have helped a lot. Also, I think the white base is probably a little too similar to the base scheme imho. I think maybe black would be nicer to allow the eye to see the hard work you've done on it, whereas the white seems to add it out a little. Hope my comments make sense! It is a great job though, just trying to push you into that masterclass category :)

@ Lord Drakon
Really nice idea for the mini, it's such a cool model and pose, especially with the shield - love it! I'd like to see a little more contrast in the mini I think, maybe to separate the gold and silver on the mini a bit more. Also the lack of finish on the base lets this down a little - even painting the sides properly would have helped. I really like the severed head and the blood on the model, that is a really nice touch! Can't wait to see more work in your plog, I'm a big fan of the sorceress you just finished :)

All in all this was a very well done category. Everyone took advice well and adapted their minis, and I am really happy with how well they have all turned out. I can't wait for the next round to go ahead, and in the meantime I'll be watching all of your plogs so keep the goodness coming!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

IlMaestro:

Thanks for the thoughtful commentary on all the entries! My son liked seeing the positive feedback. I told him his work was great, of course...but its always nice to have other people other than your mom and dad tell you that you've done well.

I had a tough time choosing my vote. I was really tossed up between Rowena and Jarvax. Both have elements that are really nicely done. I think Rowena's work on the skin tone is very very nice with a very smooth tone. Cold it use more tone variation? Maybe, but I think you have to be careful of over shading things like beautiful skin (I mean like on chicks as opposed to Orcs). I think what she has achieved is quite difficult for new painters to do. However....I had to give my vote to Jarvax as there are a great many things going on with that figure that are very nice as well, with the freehand and the conversion putting it over the top for me.

I'll throw out my 2 cents on how to improve as a figure painter: get yourself to events and see top painters and modelers' work up close and personal and (best of all) talk to them about how they do this and that. An hour seeing what can be done and talking to those who have figured out how to do it will be worth 1,000 hours (or more) trying to figure things out for yourself.

Well done to everyone!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Ilmaestro: Thanks very much for your feedback, I need things like that to improve. I will think (and maybe try to experiment) with more contrast, I think my style is generally quite subdued, more suited to looking at the miniatures up close than from a greater distance, so it can help to make them pop. At the same time, I wanted to make the girl's skin smooth and delicate, so I was afraid to go too far.
About the base... the thing is, I didn't have the camera I normally use and the pictures are terrible. I am really busy the whole weekend, so I haven't had much time to try to make better ones, but I will continue trying. The base is actually marble like my other models (she normally goes in the unit of spearelves and I wanted her to fit there). For a hero character, I would have probably tried to make it more varied and add some height, but the sorceress is already taller than all the rest of my models and I didn't want to draw even more attention to that, so instead I came up with that crazy idea with the markers.

Lion of Flanders: Thank you very much, being second after Jarvax is a great honor to me. That model is really something exceptional and inspiring.
My painting blog

Zlatan
Dark Rider

Post by Zlatan »

@LustrianVisitor: thank you for your vote, and welcome to Naggaroth. I'll fetch you a blanket...

@Ilmaestro: thanks for the encouragement. I really feel honoured to be considered. It's a shame you couldn't get your entry finished in time but I'll keep an eye on your progress and I can't wait to see it finished. The conversion looks amazing. I'll be watching your PLOG

@lion of Flanders (jnr) - that's an amazing job you've done on that ogre. The knoblar with the flame is especially well done and I love the natural look of the flame which is really difficult to do.

@rowena - I'm trying to work on smoother more natural looking skin in prep for the rumoured new witch elves. Any tips? That's the most naturalistic skin I've seen in a long time, and though I prefer a more highly contrasted style, I'm in awe of how smooth you've made the finish. Can I ask about your technique?
I also love the idea of markers for the magic lore! Inspired! I think I'm gonna steal that idea...

@ratti - beautiful colours on that model and lovely blending on the banner. I'm curious about what happened to te model you were planning on entering in the competition chat thread as that was really looking good IMHO.

@lord Drakon - as I said before, really dynamic and fierce looking pose - I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley on a winter's evening in Har Ganeth. The blood and severed head add to the really dramatic atmosphere of the model. I also really like the idea of a CoB effect marker.

@jarvax - a big thank you for introducing me to the competition and congratulations on an amazing final entry.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Ilmaestro has made a post just like I'm aiming at. There are soo many great pieces here that I'm having a hard time deciding where I'd like to cast. I've downloaded all of the photos and am in the midst of going through them to see which one ends up with the most impressive bits, ones that make "huh, I didn't notice that at first....wonder how he/she pulled that off."
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Some nice models and some good looking painting.

I know who I'm voting for ;) .

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

@ Jarvax
Beautiful work. Technically brilliant. With a more unique model and colour scheme you would have been in the hunt for the "Masters" category ;)

@ Zlatan
I voted for you because the final result was the miniature I liked best and would most like to have in my collection. In terms of pure painting technique, such as the freehand and blending Jarvax is ahead and Ratti and Rowena are therabouts - but the improvements you have made along the way of creating this model are remarkable, and the sense of personality you have managed to imbue the finished model with is what gives you the nod in my eyes. Fantastic work.

@ Amarok
I was really looking forward to seeing your finished work. The 'before' pics hold such promise. Still, hope you share it in future :)

@ Ratti
Great model, with a great paintjob!

@ babe of flanders
I'm 34 years old and that painting is better than what I can do. Great models, great ideas, very well painted (I especially like the flame effect). Paint and model as much as you enjoy and your skills will continue to blossom...

@ Rowena
Outstanding choice of miniature with a paintjob that really does it justice. Subtle and elegant.

@ Drakon
My favourite model in terms of idea. Some of the others are just a little bit ahead of you in terms of painting technique and conversion execution (pun :D ). Excellent entry nonetheless.

Conclusion
Another fantastic field. It has been especially great to see you all evolve under guidance from the masters as the competition has progressed. I feel privileged to have observed. I hope you all continue to improve and share your creations :D
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

So, I guess no change in the entries is to be expected anymore.

I'll try to see:
- Model: choice of model, conversion, risk taken
- Art: artistic handwork, picture choice
- Technique: not much comment on painting skills, that I lack myself.
My comments will be sraightforward.

Jarvax
- heavily converted DE model, the conversions are smooth and give great added value to model.
- Freehand is ambitious and the result is great. I only regret the that the design lacked symmetry. I wished the cape had embroilments, too; however it is very nicely painted.
Remarkable pictures, clean shot, daring to show exquisite details such as the jewels; model shown 360°.
Definitively a strong contestant for winning the prize. I would not be surprized to see Jarvax coming to Masters category any soon.

Zlatan
- DE model, some conversion.
- Dynamic attitude of the model. However, I don't like much the choice of colours.
- The shading of skin and cloth seems to brutal. Freehand is thin, good point, but it lacks elegance.
Overall, the model is interesting but the painting does not improve it enough.

Amarok

Rätti
- converted DE model, attitude somehow static.
- Banner asks for more freehand. Quality of paint seems good, but only 1 pic sent, with no detail.
Please try better next time.

Tomcat of Flanders
- non DE model, not converted.
- painting is reasonable for table gaming, which is a feat for a first ever painted model.
However, some details are not up to a competition level: colours overlap (back of left boot, back of goblin), and the flame may have been too ambitious.
Still, knowing that it was a first model painted, that's promising.

Rowena
- great model, somehow converted, and the flexibility shown for the choice of Lore is a great idea.
- you can progress with the choice of pictures that will highlight the quality of the model.
- no freehand, however the skin is... perfect. Eyes are great, I just regret lack of make-up.
The golden hound, on the other hand, seems just covered with same paint everywhere.
Overall, and especially taking into account the level of conversions and the ambitions, you could dare to be promoted to Masters anytime you wished.
Compared to Jarvax, you took more risks for the skin, but he made a greater attempt at the freehand.

Lord Drakon
- great conversion, dynamic attitude, love.
- horrible colours, sorry for you that most of your paints had dryed. Bad choice of pics, all showing same angle.
- I don't like how the blood is spread on the blade & cloak, it seems not well thought.
Overall, the model is only half finished, to gaing table quality (like most of mine).

Overall, two stand out, Jarvax and Rowena.
If I had to display proudly one model to amaze my friends, that would be... the sorceress.
Rowena got my vote.
A strong compliment to Jarvax, you got close and I would not be surprised to see you win the contest.

For all others, your participation shows already a strong will to improve.
Remember, Einstein said genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration, this is true also for painting and modelling. Keep perspiring!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

:oops:

Time grows thin, and slips away like sand. I did paint my entry about a month ago, decided it wasn't ambitious enough to win, chucked it in the fairy power spray, and then never got back to it, due to various upheavals in my life. On the plus side, I got married a couple of days ago, and am about to backpack across the far east next week. But anyway, enough of my pitiful excuses (as our hateful King certainly wouldn't be interested!).

Some nice work here!

Love the conversion work and blending on the cloak from Jarvax. The free hand banner is ambitious and fairly well executed.

Could have done with a few more pics Ratti, like the deep greens, but would have been useful to see more.

Solid first model from Lion Jr. The metals, particularly the Ogres helmet, are good. (as an aside, welcome back Lion! Do you still rock 'Inescapable Destiny'? That WD article was a massive inspiration to me back in the day /end gush).

Good stuff (as we are coming to expect) from Rowena. Lovely feminine model, good example of model selection complementing painting style. As has been mentioned, soft smooth skin tones, and solid brush work on the eyes.

Like the gritty style from Lord Drakon, although a bit more work on the base would have raised the standard as a whole.

And my vote goes to ...... Zlatan. Really pushing the boat out with the OSL, although some transitions are a bit harsh, and composition wise I think the head ornaments unbalance the model a little. But crackin work all the same.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...