[PLOG] - Reapers of the Dawn

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] - Reapers of the Dawn

Post by Amboadine »

Nice work. Skin tone is good.
Crystals look okay, perhaps a vanish to make them shine a little more?
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

Thanks Amboadine, I'll give that a try! I picked up some of the GW stuff, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

In the meantime, I started on an executioner unit. Just putting the models together and - while I love the new models - I wanted to give them a bit more variety, as they're quite mono-pose, otherwise. The idea is just to have some of these guys in the front rank, and everything behind them will just be the standard pose.

It might be hard to tell, but the one in the middle's draich is about 30 degrees difference from the standard pose. To be honest I wouldn't recommend doing it - it was a lot of work for not a lot of difference, but what the heck! I didn't like the idea of the unit champion not having a draich, so I used a Black Guard arm to allow him to hold his draich one-handed, leaning it on his shoulder. As for the one on the left, the arm holding the draich is from the dark rider kit.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

You are getting some nice dynamic poses from the kit. Good work.
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the unit ranked up :)
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

Phew! I don't know about the rest of you, but summer has been busy! Between road trips, small vacations, and pursuing my latest interest in trail running (we've got some beautiful mountain trails here on the Canadian west coast), little time indeed has been left over for painting.

This weekend, though, I managed to salvage some spare hours and actually picked up a brush. Behold, executioners! Well, three, anyway :)

Best clarity I could manage on the old iPhone... sorry!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice work, a little too much silver to my eyes though in the last picture and could just be the light. Well executed however.
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

Thanks for the consistent commentary, Amboadine!

Yes, the colour scheme is very silver-dominant. I was considering using the metallic purple that I've used on some other models. Maybe on the flourishes on the shoulder armour, the sword hilt, and the helmet spikes. But in the end decided against it. Maybe on the next one I paint I'll try that and see how it looks.

I was also debating whether to use purple for the hair. It would balance out the purple on the model nicely, I think. But then, it would stand out from the black hair that I've been painting on everyone else...
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

The hair/plume may be the key to the balance as it merges with the silver. A different tone their would break it up especially around the areas it meets the silver armour.
Khazmando
Trainee Warrior

Post by Khazmando »

Great read catching up on this log.

Some awesome ideas that I may lift :)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice poses - you could try a little gold outline around the plate metal on the front and helmet, it would bring a contrasting colour to it.
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Re: [PLOG] - Reapers of the Dawn (sorceress, executioners WI

Post by Scythe »

Well, it seems it's been a while!

As usual, haven't been too productive, but here's a bit of what's been on my painting table...

Following up from my last update, some executioners, with banner and purple hair-plume helmets:

You'll see a bit of the unit filler in the background, which looks like this:

And, as my brother gifted her to me for Christmas, a supreme sorceress. What a joy to paint this model!

I think I salvaged the skin tone in the end, but I've been having trouble with a couple of my Citadel paints coming out grainy, despite being well-watered. Pallid wych flesh in particular seems to be a mess. It must just be the pot that I bought. Anyone else have this problem?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice sorceress.

Interesting use of an old dragon ogre model for a filler.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Impressive Black Guard 8)

Unit filler is loads of fun :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Ahheh yes! Been looking for this PLOG for ages. I remembered the bolt thrower conversions and really wanted to know how you did them but I couldn't remember the name of the log :(

I really like the executioners, they're making me want to redo the trim on mine... gold trim is soooooo last week.

I also really like your bases >:( goddammit I'm going to have to steal that too.

Keep it up! (So I can steal more of your ideas :twisted: )
"When it comes to besting the enemy, there's no such thing as 'overkill.'" - Good ol' Master Bronk

Also here's a PLOG: http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76272
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really nice army mate, love the skin. What color did you use?
Death before dishonor
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

Cheers guys!

Wrathbaby - some sad news: much to my immediate dismay, I accidentally stepped on the converted RBT several months ago! I still have all the bits, but haven't worked up the willpower to re-assemble it since then. I'll get around to it though. Thanks for the kind comments - please steal away! That's why we have plogs, right?

Lord Azoth - the skin tone is perhaps a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but this is the formula that I've worked out anyway.
First step is to undercoat with gray, to lighten the works overall. I then do a couple thin coats of Pallid Wych Flesh, followed by a heavy wash of Naggaroth Night (or whatever the purple GW wash is called). That takes care of the shade layer. Next step is a base coat of Slaanesh Gray, and I highlight up from there by mixing white in to the Slaanesh Gray. The final final highlight is pretty much straight white.

Whether that ends up looking any different than just using a dark purple shade layer (as opposed to the wash) I am unsure. I do like using the wash though as it acts as a guide to where the shadows and highlights ought to be.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

thanks mate!
Death before dishonor