Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Not sure if this has already been posted:

OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Avatars of War - "Witch Elves"

Post by Amboadine »

The link has. But nice to have the pictures to hand whilst we wait for delivery in April
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Nice. :) I think they would match the new GW witch elves perfectly for a greater variety of poses. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Third picture, first "Vestal" on the right.

Picture perfect GW pose copy... and I think it looks better.

I will be having a pack of 20 of these girls coming to me in April... if only Tax return shows up while they're on pre-order since I want the limited edition mini too!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

yeah nice,

And with a price like that, i'm ordering some even though i dont really need more withces.
Pay attention GW!!

Now to decide to get 30 or 20 with cocubine model.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

I'm going for the 30 for the price of 20 offer. I already have my death hag model from the cauldron kit, so rather have the bulk of models :D

At this price, they are made of plastic, yeah?
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
taggart
Warrior

Post by taggart »

According to there site they are made from "hard PVC" , now i'm thinking about getting the set of 30 but i'm put off by the "PVC" bit .
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

Those are nicer than I expected them to be, but there's something about the faces that doesn't look quite right. Would need to get a close look at them really. In an ideal world they'll look similar enough to the GW ones to be able to mix them together so there's more variety. I do think the GW ones are superb but there's too many jumping about instead of running.

For those who wouldn't know, what are the fundamental differences between plastic minis and whatever these are made of?
Elvenstar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Elvenstar »

Thraundil wrote:I'm going for the 30 for the price of 20 offer. I already have my death hag model from the cauldron kit, so rather have the bulk of models :D

?

I don't even want witches but after convincing myself , because these are 30 for the price of GW 10. With the additional bonus that they also aren't mostly posed like a street dance crew from Britain's Got Talent on top of inexplicable objects.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

These aren't quite as refined as GW's but, and its a big but, they're very nice. The faces, and in particular the blow-up doll look, isn't great: Felix just can't sculpt female faces period.

I'm not sure about the Concubine because she looks somewhat anorexic and the pose, the left hand especially, is a bit off for me.

The 2 big drawbacks I see are that they come on 25mm bases, and AoW has become notorious for slow delivery.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I have to agree on the faces to some extend. But on the positive side, they are easy to rebase onto 20mm and would mingle effortlessly with the current GW ones.

I have never really had any trouble with delivery timings, but that might just be lucky.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

I have to say I like them - the poses and the hair. More variety than the GW Witches.

I'd be tempted if I wasn't making a GW-legal army.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

The material is likely the same as what Privateer press uses, which is like a vinyl material. You need super glue to assemble it.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Why are you going for a GW legal army T.D.? The only GW tournament that still matters is Throne of Skulls I guess but then again I did bring 100% non GW minis to it and nobody noticed (not full units though)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

taggart wrote:According to there site they are made from "hard PVC" , now i'm thinking about getting the set of 30 but i'm put off by the "PVC" bit .

Oh no! Is that the same Plastic/resin mix they used on their Harpies? If so, good luck gluing them together. :sick: Wash all the parts and let them dry. The ONLY superglue I got to work was the Gorilla brand and even then you need to hold the parts together for extended times. Probably why I only put together 5 of my 10 AoW Harpies.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

I´ve ordered 30 of them...wish me luck..expected in April
Death before dishonor
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

It's the modelling restrictions I've set myself for this particular project.

Also means I will have no trouble in stores/at official comps/for WD recognition ;)
Drewsius
Slave on the Altar

Post by Drewsius »

Polyvinyl Chloride, it's the same material used by privateer press for their latest models, it's much cheaper to work with than polystyrene plastics because it's not made from oil, the mould tooling is identical (and therefore spendy) but you can recover some of the cost because you're using a cheaper production material. Despite what people keep saying, it really isn't resin.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Drewsius wrote:Polyvinyl Chloride, it's the same material used by privateer press for their latest models, it's much cheaper to work with than polystyrene plastics because it's not made from oil, the mould tooling is identical (and therefore spendy) but you can recover some of the cost because you're using a cheaper production material. Despite what people keep saying, it really isn't resin.

But classic plastic cement won't work on it. I really enjoy the hard meld of plastic cement on plastic models. Once glued there is no breaking at that seam.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Have to agree Gidean. I like the classic cement on plastic models.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Ordered the pack of 30 yesterday.
35€ for 30 models when GW charge 45€ for 10...
I just think I saved me 100€ on something that may be slightly harder to glue and comes on 25mm bases... I can life with that. Honestly. They look on par or better than the GW stuff, and now you don't have to put up with those annoying rune statues on every GW WE model...
Will be so nice to move away from my 6th edition metal WE. All plastic yey :)
Next step is to find an equal looking plastic executioner option to our old 6th ed version, I really love those models, but I want all plastic. The new GW Black Guard/Executioners look really good, but 40€ for 10 is not a realistic option when I want 40 models... Might get the GW Black Guards, because I have never played a unit larger than 20.
Good on Avatars of War to hand out better options :D
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Well it is the start of a range from AoW, so maybe we will get something that can be used as Blackguard.
Felix has done a good job with producing units for Dwarfs and Chaos armies. So I am excited on what he will produce next.

Personally I am going to mix and match the 20 x AoW and the 10 x GW WE's together. At least that is the plan, then I should get a uniform look across the whole unit and the ones on statues will be used to get some height and increased dynamics into the finished unit.
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

Personally I prefer the sharper details of the GW ones and the easier assembly of plastic. Also isn't it feasible to just cut down the ruined statuary so more of them are on ground level?

That said, I won't write off the AoW ones. They are nice for the price, and the presence of a low cost alternative is never a bad thing.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Yes, but if you cut away the statuary you are left with very little surface area to attach them to the base. And it does make a difference as I have had the cauldron attendants break off more than once already and their feet were glued with plastic cement.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Very nice. They look like the depicion on the Witch Elf page.

This all said, a Avitars of War kit of 30 of them with the 174 plastic parts to make em set you back about $50 US dollars instead of the 200 for GW. I would have a horde formation to go with my couldron at a quarter of the coast.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra