A journey into Darkness

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Re: A journey into Darkness

Post by Lion of flanders »

I'll echo Rowena...nothin wrong with some eyeshadow on witch elves. I'd sneak that back in.

Very nicely done stuff. I like that you have made things very bright and high contrast without overdoing it, which is a fine line.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

beautiful units !..really nice the RH witch
Death before dishonor
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Just to keep this blog ticking over.

So nothing new has been finished but I have a few work in progress shots of what I am doing at the moment.

First up is a corsair. Taking a little longer on this guy as I really like the model.

Another quick shot of him so you can see the severed head slightly better.

I have also been working on my Dreadlord on Cold one. I saw a couple of painting where the coldones are blue so decided to go this way.

Just for those who are interested I don't normally paint this way. Normally I pick a color and finish it before I move on to the next one. However the DreadLord was purchased from ebay and was already assembled so I decided to paint the metal and purple together as the chances of accidentally overlapping onto each other is quite high. Still a long way to go on these guys but enjoying them at the moment.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Great work! I love how you got that head to turn out. This model was in a unit that I painted when I first started out, needless to say, it looks nowhere near as good as yours.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

Good God I wish I could do faces like you; I can even see the whites of their eyes! I don't have the steadiest hand and even if I go the route of many thin layers I still find that I lose detail at a rapid rate. Best result I can manage is the shortcut method of basecoat, shade, highlight. Then possibly an attempt at eyebrows, but they don't always end up symmetrical. :P
Last edited by Heartshiver on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking good. As mentioned, faces are excellent. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Amboadine wrote:Looking good. As mentioned, faces are excellent. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

This! Your eyes are amazing. Good work.
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Thanks for all the nice comments. I actually tried something different in the face of the corsair which isn't showing up very well in these photos. Need to practice a bit more.

On Facebook there is a group call the Painting Dojo and someone on there had red lined the eyes. This gave them a very angry look that I loved. This is the tutorial the very helpful guy from that page sent me

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Small progress updates for you to see. These shots are taken from the last two days worth of painting.

So first night small amount of work on the pink. Basically building first colour after shade. More work done on the armor

2nd night I worked the pink more. Still a little bit to go on that but almost ready to move onto his dragon cloak. Flash has washed out colours model looks far more vibrant than this.

The same days worth of updates on the Coldone.

Day 2
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice work. Not entirely sold on the amount of pink on the Cold One, seems to clash a bit with the blue, but that is a personal opinion. It looks so much brighter in the second picture. The execution is nice however.
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

I hoping when I start to work the gold in there that it will break it up far more and help to balance it. Flash in the last picture also distorts the color a little bit.
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Another quick update did the shield and finished off the teeth and the purple pink color. Put the base color down for the gold.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking very nice. It may well have just been the photo.
Good work
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Your fabrics look stunning!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Hi all,

I hope you all had a great weekend. Still not finished but very close now with just the black parts left to do on the models. Might get it done tonight.

On the corsair put the last silver touches to metal. Painted the sea dragon cloak. Painted the wooden part of the axe. Painted blonde hair on the severed head. Did the claws on the cloak.

On the Coldone painted the gold. Put last silver touches to the model. Really like how the sword turned out really smooth transition. Painted claws and skills.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Touch ups are looking good. The gold looks good on the cold one and the blond hair works nicely.
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Ok so these guys other than the bases are now done....

Corsair front
Corsair back

DreadLord. Really happy with the way the glowing rune came out on the sword. Its a subtle effect but shows the sword is something a little more special than your average mundane weapon.

Will base these guys when the unit is finished so I can do them all at once. I will try to show less work in progress update going forward I think I have bored you all stupid :)
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Very nice looking minis, the first time I looked through this I glanced over the seadragon cloak and it wasn't until now that I really appreciate the detail you put into highlighting each of those scales. One small thing, it might just be the lighting, but your inks look a little glossy, adding some Matte Medium should take care of this.

Guide to paint additives by Ghool
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice updates. Don't worry about posting too many pictures. Really no issue.
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Thanks for the feedback. Will try the matt medium thing mangopunch. Thanks for the Link was interesting.
Spyrer
Slave on the Altar

Post by Spyrer »

I was wondering what paints do you use for that seadragon cloak? was thinknig of doing something similar with my own ones, but so far they've become too green instead of blue.
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

No problem the sea dragon cloak's are really easy.

Base Coat the whole of the cloak in Dark Reaper

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1500172a

Then pick out every scale with Thunderhawk Blue

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1500174a

Then mix thunderhawk blue with screaming skull in a rough 50:50 mix (basically alter to taste). Use this color to edge all of the scales.

That's it :)
Wiggen
Corsair

Post by Wiggen »

Very nice looking minis, good paintjob!

I use the same paints for my sea dragon cloaks/cold ones, good choice :D

agree with mangopunch on the matt medium, i use it alot myself when using gw washes as they tend to be quite glossy, esp the black one
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Very very nice

I always wondered how to do that kind of glow effect on sword, I will go and watch some tuts for my future tries :D
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

The glow stuff is so easy.

So for this one I used Hawk turquoise but you could use any colour. Water the color down a lot. 9 parts water to 1 part paint. Paint a thin layer of this onto the area you want to glow. This first layer represents the point at which the light furthest expands from the source that is actually glowing.

I like to use a hair dryer as it speeds things up a lot. Dry this first stage and work gradually further and further in with the above mix. Then as you get closer add a little bit of white to the above mix and use that very close to the center. I then used a pure hawk turquoise and white mix for the rune at the center.

Last 5 Corsairs are advancing well should have an update next week.