Severian`s Bunch of Misfits

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Rakariel
Shade

Severian`s Bunch of Misfits

Post by Rakariel »

Hi there!

As this is my first post I guess a small introduction is in order. I have been playing and collecting Warhammer Armies for quite some time now (should be about 14 years or so). While I do have other armies aswell, Dark Elves were always my first choice. There is just something about those sinistre and malign pointy ears thats hard to resist ;).

Although I am trying to squeeze a game in as often as my schedule allows it I am a painter through and through. I have been contacted on Warseer by Lazarus from Druchii.net to join the community. I thought I combine my introduction with the creation of a painting plog.

I will try to keep you updated every time one of my projects is done (and also post some WIP pictures in between). All of my pictures (and some more from other armies) can be found on my own painting blog http://severianshideout.wordpress.com/. Without further ado here are some of my pictures (sry I had to use a link as the pics are just too big). Critique is of course always welcome :)

Last edited by Rakariel on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Severian`s Bunch of Misfits

Post by T.D. »

Exceptional paint work! 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks alot! :D
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Welcome aboard! Nice job on the cauldron, great details, I'm sure the folks here would like to see some of your other work as well.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Welcome to the forum. Nice work and thank you for sharing.
Looking forward to seeing what else you have coming up for us.

Some lovely work on your site. I like the warlock being claimed by Slaanesh :)
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Looks excellent! Nice job!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks guys, feeling very much at home already :)

I`ll keep on posting new stuff as soon as I finish a project, for now I keep on showing pics from my painting blog. As they already have been mentioned by Amboadine I thought I`ll post the Warlocks next. The whole idea about Slaanesh claiming one of the damned was born when I was thinking about how to use my spare horses from the new chariot kit. Some of the horses have been used for mounted Masters/Dreadlords, others for mounted Sorceresses. I cut off his original hands and replaced them with some from the VC Crypt Ghoul kit to get hands that are actually opened, like they would try to desperately get hold of the horse.

Btw if you would rather like uploaded pics than URLs I will resize the pictures.

As for future projects, am doing a unit of River Trolls at the moment with a complementary River Troll Hag on top. After that I`m going back to Dark Elves, doing the Kharibdyss. There are also plans to paint the FW Merwyrm as a Pagowyrm which can be used as a second Kharidbyss. Lets see how that pans out ;)

Last edited by Rakariel on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

i love the guy in back thats getting sucked into the void xD great idea
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:i love the guy in back thats getting sucked into the void xD great idea

I second that. Great idea and very well done, I spent five minutes trying to figure out how it was done and where is the purple thing attached to something else.
And for the Lost Colony... this is what happens when you deal with Chaos. Bad, bad idea! :D
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
treeapple
Warrior

Post by treeapple »

Very nice work.
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

That's some nice brush work!

You'll have to share you gold and flesh recipes!
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks for the compliments :D

I`m doing Elf Flesh like this: Cadian Fleshtone as base coat, then I use Reikland Fleshshade. When all is dry I start on highlighting parts of the skin again with Cadian Fleshtone. I am usually starting at the parts of the skin which should be darker/in the shadow and work my way up to the more exposed parts. After I have highlighted everything with Cadian I apply some Ceramite White to Cadian Fleshtone and start highlighting the skin anew. When I am done I put some more Ceramite White to the mix and again start anew. Done like this you create a smooth transition from darker to lighter parts of the skin. Just apply as much/as little White as you like to get the skin tone which suits you best.

For the gold parts I use a 60:40 mix of gehennas gold and rhinox hide as a basecoat. After that I use gehennas gold to again highlight parts which are less in the shadow. After that I use Auric Armor Gold to highlight the edges. To create a final effect of light reflecting from your precious gold pieces I use a 60:40 mix of Mithril Silver and gehennas gold and apply it to all the edges I think the light would be coming from and would therefore get reflected. :)

An example of where I tried to get as many different layers of flesh onto a model can be seen on my Sorceress:

Last edited by Rakariel on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

I thought I post some more of my DE pictures. This time its my Dreadlord on a Black Dragon and a Beastmaster on a Manticore. Am already having plans on getting the Ragin Heroes Manticore because I think it looks ace. And on top I always wanted to field a double Manticore list anyway ;) At the moment I`m working on my FW Troll Hag (I just posted the pics of my River Troll Unit on my Blog) therefore I thought I include some pictures of my FW Basilisk which I already did some time ago.

Last edited by Rakariel on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lovely work, yet again. Love the basilisk.
Thanks for the update.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Cheers :D
I wanted to paint him in really flashy colors. Like an amazonian poison dart frog, to represent his poisonous nature.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I really enjoy the work you put into your painting. You're dragon and rider look terrific! You've got a good eye for your color schemes and although your detailing looks simple (I bet it's not!), it conveys extremely well. I hope you post more!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Great work!

If you're posting these as completed, then I am extremely jealous of your speed as well as skills! Keep up the good work!!
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Best warlocks I have ever seen !
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks again for all the compliments, really motivates me in what I am doing, thanks guys :)

I`m actually not that quick, the things I have posted were already done. I think it takes me about 1.5 to two weeks to finish a bigger model like the basilisk. Smaller models can be done in a few days. For other things like my horde of Empire Greatswords however it was a month or so (I hate painting hordes heheh).

I just started painting the FW Troll Hag a few days ago. I guess it would be done end of next week but due to me going on vacation for two weeks tomorrow that will have to wait. I will keep on posting my stuff, past and of course future projects :D
Last edited by Rakariel on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Those are some nice Greatswords. I like the colour scheme.
Looking forward to the Troll Hag, might give me the inspiration I need to get on and paint my one. :)
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Hi there!

Back from vacation and already itching to get back to painting again. Am busy finishing my FW Troll Hag at the moment (about 35% done now). In the meantime I thought about posting some more stuff I have done previously. Here is a sneak peak of Lelith Hesperax who I use as a Death Hag (painted her about two years ago):

Here are the River Trolls I have been working on previously. The Troll Hag will be similar in color scheme so she fits in and can be used as a proxy of another four Trolls. I am also in the process of doing another Troll Diorama where I used spare parts I had left. Will post as soon as its done.

Last edited by Rakariel on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Rakariel welcome to DNet and thanks for posting some great work, you have some really god models there!

It would be good it you could post your photos in your thread so we can get a better look at them, have you tried resizing them? here is a link to a great online tool that makes it quite simple

http://pixlr.com/

I look forward to seeing more of your work... make sure you enter the painting comp!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

More lovely models, thanks for sharing.
Trolls are looking really good.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

@Cultofkhaine
Sure can do. I wasn`t sure if people liked it better seeing implemented pictures or original sized ones. I`m gonna resize them in the future :)
I already saw the painting comp today and will surely attend. The whole thing is such a great idea, thanks for making it happen! Am still undecided which model to pick, but I have narrowed it down to two.

@Amboadine
Thanks again mate. :)
I hope the Troll Hag turns out well.
Azironlegion
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Azironlegion »

Fantastic work. I want to paint like you when I grow up.
"Fail in this, Sorceress, and your soul...is forfeit!"