Severian`s Bunch of Misfits

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Rakariel
Shade

Re: Severian`s Bunch of Misfits

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks alot guys! :D
I was actually thinking of putting a High Elf on the base who is being shot but I ran out of space and it would have looked crowed. But then again maybe I will just build another three cav bases infront of this one featureing two HE being shot hmmm .... :mrgreen:

First I have to finish my third Hydra however ;)
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Update Time again :)
I thought about introducing my Hydra family as my last entry is finally done. Shes the Female, the Boss, the Big Mama ;)

I wanted her to stand out far more than just with a different paint job (I tried to do a mix of oceanic and emerald green) thats why I had to convert her quite a bit. I “broke” and reshaped nearly all of her legs to get her into an upward motion, climbing over a rock while the handlers drive her on. Because of the different posture the whole corpus had now I had to angle all the heads aswell so she would be looking in the right direction (and not directly into the ground). The posture I gave her makes her appear far larger than the other “normal” Hydras.

To put even more character into the monster I have her munching on a poor little High Elf. I assure you hes not feeling anything anymore, his whole lower body is gone already. But still, the two Heads are fighting over the scraps and pulling on their preys arms from each side.

And these are the male Hydras, quite easy distinguishable by their blue-greyish skin tone. One of them even suffered from two recent wounds, but it doesn`t really matter anyway because the heads are already regrowing :D

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great update. Looks excellent.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I've experimented with putting a metal hydra "Rampant" like this, so I have an idea of how much work is involved :shock:

Lovely tones on the finished paint jobs & a very nice "Family" you have there 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Hehe yeah it wasn`t that easy doing all the necessary repositioning. I used the Finceast Hydra for the last one (the other two are metal) because I thought using the metal ones would be quite a nightmare. Honestly though, I hate Finecast in all other matters. I was fortunate to still have some older metal Hydra heads so I could swap them for the Finecast ones because the latter had some truly horrible warped frames and missing details.

Am really getting into the whole conversion stuff now because I feel it makes the whole model look even cooler if there are some additional ideas here and there. At the moment I have the FW Curs`d Ettin on my desk and the Kharibdyss. Lets see how they come along :)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Awesome conversions! The repositioning makes the hydra much more dynamic looking and I guess significantly bigger too (any chance to see the whole family together?), the poor high elf is a great touch, if maybe a bit too gory for me, so are the severed regrowing heads. So... simply brilliant stuff. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks! :D
Am usually holding back with the goriness but I thought if they are fighting over some HE scraps its gonna get dirty in any case. The Hydra with the regrowing heads was the first time I was trying to do blood (a mixture of color and glue).

The female is significantly larger (well she looks larger due to the posture). No probs, here you go :)

Btw the next "famlily" am gonna do is a giant one - Ettin, normal Giant and Bonecrusher Giant. :D
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

That is a fine looking zoo you are building there :)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Thank you for the family photo, they look awesome together, especially with the colour scheme. I think the female stands out just perfectly.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Love the group shot - the turquoise highlighting is so striking, and the extra height and variation it brings to the trio really lifts the drama.
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Just catching up with your updates! Fantastic work, especially the HE dinner and the dark rider leaping the wall - very cinematic
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Now that I have finished my FW Curs`d Ettin I thought I compile all of my Giant models into one post.

The Curs`d Ettin is the first model I have done mostly with my new Airbrush Gun. I think it turned out really well considering I have never used one before. The seamless transition on the skin tone is very hard to do with a traditional brush but quite quick with an airbrush. I know I need alot more practise but I enjoyed the experienced very much :D.

The Bonecrusher Giant is a biatch to balance on anything but a completely smooth surface because he is so top-heavy. I thought I better hold him in my hands not to drop him (again!).

My Giant was one of the first models I ever painted. Although somewhat dated I think he still holds up pretty well.

And here is the obligatory family photo. I put my Empire Witch Hunter in front so you get a better picture of the models size. :)

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great collection of Giants there. Didn't realise the original forgeworld model was quite that big. Impressive.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Middle giant is seriously terrifying :shock:
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

All of these look really great. The Trebuchet arm weapon is a great idea! I have that FW giant and have been building up the inspiration to paint it. it's so cool that my first thought is to not convert it at all, but then a subtle conversion like yours comes along which is so awesome that I think I should modify mine a bit.

Speaking of that awesome giant...I think it's time to take a deep breath and mount that thing on a decent size base before it crushes something when (not if) it falls over. If your opponent is quoting rules on you, they will tell you that the figure should be on the base that it came with, which is a lot bigger than that lil' thing that he is teetering on.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Great work - the properly giant giant is superb. That's the first giant model I've seen where the special attack table moves feel like they could actually happen scale wise.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks! Glad you like them :D

You`re right Lion, next thing I do is to mount the Bonecrusher on a proper base. Is just strange that he was delivered with that small one as he is so top heavy that he falls over VERY easily. Gonna think of something, maybe I come up with an idea to include on that larger base. For gaming purposes am gonna mark the spots where the original base would be I think.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

A local tournament in the not too distant future (the lore of Undeath is allowed) has sparked my Interest in doing a small Vampire force to be summoned by my trusty Dark Elf Sorceress (this and the base of my Kharidbyss, which has been finished for quite some time still hasn`t dried yet). While painting some Hexwraiths however I came up with the idea that it would be a lot cooler to do an actual Vampiress to fit better into the theme.

Don`t get me wrong, I love my Dark Elf Sorceress but in this respect a Vampiress is more fitting. Yeah yeah I know, I just wanted an excuse to paint one in the first place ;)

Because in terms of tournament play I had to do a Vampiress on a Hellsteed because my DE Sorceress would be mounted on a Dark Pegasus. GW never released a model for it so I rumaged through my bitz boxes to find a suitable alternative. I used the horse from a WoC chariot, Vargheist wings and the infamous Neferata. To fit her better on the steed I also used some greenstuff to form a pillow (which of course is made from velvet). Long story short here are the first pics of my new Vampire force. Hope you enjoy them :D

Last edited by Rakariel on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

That is lovely work. Great conversion and those wings look excellent.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

I'm thinking of using Neferata as the basis of a Dark Peg Sorceress too!

Beautiful work.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

She looks truly stunning, I think I must google this model. :)
My painting blog

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Mmmmm - eye candy!

Yes that would make a great dark peg alternative.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks guys! :D

The parts are very well suited to build a DE sorceress on a peg. The best thing is, its a plastic model therefore very easy to position even in very steep flying positions without falling over or breaking off (damn those metal pegasi!). The only thing I would change for a DE sorceress if using the Neferata model would be the head because the hat is very Nehekaran and wouldn`t really fit for DE, just my opinion of course :)

The wings and parts of the dress are painted with an airbrush, really love using that where I can.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Awesome - love the combination of the red flow of robes and the evil green glow of the staff - nicely counterbalanced with one another.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Rakariel wrote:Thanks! Glad you like them :D

You`re right Lion, next thing I do is to mount the Bonecrusher on a proper base. Is just strange that he was delivered with that small one as he is so top heavy that he falls over VERY easily. Gonna think of something, maybe I come up with an idea to include on that larger base. For gaming purposes am gonna mark the spots where the original base would be I think.

OK so I was mistaken in my post about the base that it comes with! I didn't realize that the newer one is repositioned to fit on an "official" monster base. I have the older one which comes with a large fairly tip proof base. I think the best way to go is build yours into a large base with the excess area fairly flat and sturdy so that in the game, other units could be places on top of it up the outlines of the "official" base area. Perhaps the broken corners of a fence or low wall to define the "official" base size. I'm working on mine at present and am considering doing something similar.

Meanwhile, all three look great :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?