Question About The Old Hellcannon Model

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Question About The Old Hellcannon Model

Post by Darkprincess »

Does anyone in here know how big the old Hellcannon model is ? I'm talking about the one released around ten years or so ago, with the Chaos Dwarf crew. I understand that the old model didn't come with a base, so it's pretty hard to judge the size from the photos online. My own guess would be something between 80mm and 100mm long (knowing the barrel diameter would be the most useful as I can calculate the scale from that)

I know that GW currently sell a resin version (well a bunch of air bubbles held together by resin I guess), and this now has a base - a HUGE 100x150mm monster base (Last time I was in here, a "monster base" was 50x50mm :shock: ) Is this model from the same mould that they released back in the day?

Anyway, I've had this idea to scratchbuild a Hellcannon of some sort, so I want it to be close enough to the real one in terms of scale that it could conceivably use the same (or similar) rules.

Needless to say, my version is going to be a good bit more... Slaaneshi... than the GW one - and needless to say mine will have a crew of daemonettes rather than big-hatted stunties (seriously, the big hats need to come back for the CDs :))

I've seen Slaanesh-themed Hellcannons and they're just the standard one painted pink or purple - to be honest that looks a bit crap. The GW Hellcannon looks best when it's mostly metal, whereas to my fevered mind, a Slaaneshi equivalent should be a bit smoother, more fleshy (for want of a better term) and so on. Painting something pink is not sufficient to make it Slaaneshi...

Anyway I have a rough idea of what I want it to look like, so all I need to know is how big I should make it :)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Question About The Old Hellcannon Model

Post by Vulcan »

I never took a ruler to one, so I'm guessing. But it appeared to be about 4" long, 3" high, and 2" wide (minus outrigger chains).

Make it at least that big and you should be okay.

Slaneeshi, eh? If you play at a club/game store... remember there might be kids around - and more importantly, the kids' PARENTS. Keep it clean, if you can.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Vulcan wrote:Slaneeshi, eh? If you play at a club/game store... remember there might be kids around - and more importantly, the kids' PARENTS. Keep it clean, if you can.

Thanks for the info. And no, I don't play in stores - just at home with a small circle of close friends, all of whom are over 40, so no kids around (not that I think a few half-naked miniatures are going to harm kids in any way - well, certainly not as much as the depicted violence is likely to, but your point is well made anyway)

As for keeping it clean... well, I can't promise that 100%, but rest assured it isn't going to be anything like that big d1ck thing that was posted all over the web many years ago. it'll certainly be Slaaneshi for sure, but definitely not crass (I hope) :)

Thanks again. I guess as long as it fits OK on the new base size with enough room for the crew, then it should be OK
The Dark Princess

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I'm not exactly worried about the kids. For most of the world's population over most of the course of history, everyone lived in a one-room shack... and kids were often present (if asleep... or pretending to) when their younger siblings were conceived. And still the vast majority came out alright.

But parents anymore, yeesh! They see a tiny pair of plastic or tin boobs on the game table and they go off like you dragged their kid to the back and raped them or something.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Yeah I hear you - I'm just glad I grew up in the 70s where nobody cared about this sort of thing. I think as a society we've lost our sense of humour but as a 50-year-old woman, if I can be OK with lots of half (or even fully) naked minis, then frankly so can anybody else. If you ask me, it's all that political correctness nonsense that'll one day be the death of all of us :(

OK rant over (for now, anyway :twisted:)
The Dark Princess

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

There is hope for the future!
Now that it is our son's generation to have kidsand have no time to take care of them, it will be up to us as grannies/grampas to "educate" them!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}