D.NET INVASION 2015 - CHAT THREAD

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Melle
Executioner

Re: D.NET INVASION 2015 - CHAT THREAD

Post by Melle »

Quick question.
is it allowed to paint 490 pts 1 month and 10 another?
Sometimes (read most of the time)kids and work and life in general gets the upper hand and suddenly 3 weeks has gone by without a single brushstroke...
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

CultofKhaine I have to say that this painting competition is different than what I was aiming for with the Invasion idea. It is now mostly focused on speed painting units and models without goal except an theme (but no list).

My idea was more based on the gaming aspect, to field an themed Dark Elf (or Dark Elf based) 2400 list in the collective Druchii.net Invasion, but ofcourse to field a new army you first have to build and paint it. But the main goal was to eventually field and play with that list, not so much to paint is the fastest and the most beautiful, but to motivate all members to build and field a new army in this time of Elven Legions and fluff anarchy. At the moment it seems the focus on painting instead of the Invasion goal (build and field an themed army) demotivates actually some for joining the collective thing.

It is more like how the thing went with Rowena and Marchosias, it started with a given list of 500 point with the goal to increase it to more. I like how besides painting/converting by Rowena that same list was also fighting battles with Marchosias. For us we look bigger into 2400 instead of 500, earning points and rewards for finishing something every month. It forces you to create a list at the start and stick with it so learn how to play with what you decided at the start. Montly targets and rewards were more intended like bonusses to motivate instead of deadlines.

Is there a way we can maybe find an compromise ? Otherwise it is really similiar to the other painting competitions (but now an army instead of model) without the gaming and list drafting aspect involved which was my main motivation. Actually the painting is the means to a goal (field an amazing looking army) in my eyes, not a goal on itself.

That banner/logo you made is awesome btw !
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Does anyone have any further comments on the start date? I'm now thinking Feb as Jan is almost half way through.
Malarith
Slave on the Altar

Post by Malarith »

Hey Team,

I am going to be joining this invasion, however I would like some feedback on what force to paint.

I have 3 Dark Elf forces that I am painting up, all with the same colour scheme, just different themes.

What would my fellow druchii like to see, a corsair raiding force (all models converted from corsairs), the march of blood (witches and executioners), or Malekiths own (warriors and blackguard)?

All of them will have dark grey cloth, white armour and pale blue skin.
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

It's a great idea. I'd love to participate but (1) history very reliably says I wouldn't hit the points/month mark and (2) I'm moving next month and that's just a whole thing.

Just to toss an idea out there with regards to the "what counts as how many points" question... what about assigning arbitrary points for the size/detail of the model being painted?

For instance, a standard infantry sized model might be worth say 25 "points," cavalry 50, monsters 250, characters 100, etc. So to meet the monthly minimum you could do 10 infantry-sized models of any type, 5 cavalry, or 1 monster. I know that's not the spirit of the original idea with regards to creating a whole army, but it does put some structure around it.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

CultofKhaine I have to say that this painting competition is different than what I was aiming for with the Invasion idea. It is now mostly focused on speed painting units and models without goal except an theme (but no list).

My idea was more based on the gaming aspect, to field an themed Dark Elf (or Dark Elf based) 2400 list in the collective Druchii.net Invasion, but ofcourse to field a new army you first have to build and paint it. But the main goal was to eventually field and play with that list, not so much to paint is the fastest and the most beautiful, but to motivate all members to build and field a new army in this time of Elven Legions and fluff anarchy. At the moment it seems the focus on painting instead of the Invasion goal (build and field an themed army) demotivates actually some for joining the collective thing.

It is more like how the thing went with Rowena and Marchosias, it started with a given list of 500 point with the goal to increase it to more. I like how besides painting/converting by Rowena that same list was also fighting battles with Marchosias. For us we look bigger into 2400 instead of 500, earning points and rewards for finishing something every month. It forces you to create a list at the start and stick with it so learn how to play with what you decided at the start. Montly targets and rewards were more intended like bonusses to motivate instead of deadlines.

Is there a way we can maybe find an compromise ? Otherwise it is really similiar to the other painting competitions (but now an army instead of model) without the gaming and list drafting aspect involved which was my main motivation. Actually the painting is the means to a goal (field an amazing looking army) in my eyes, not a goal on itself.

That banner/logo you made is awesome btw !

LD - This is still open to modify if you think fit - what do others think?

This is a Painting & Modelling Forum so my main aim as a Mod is to motivate you all to get paint on your models - 1500pts I think is a good start with perhaps a second leg towards the end of the year working towards 2400-2500pts. I think 250pts is a good amount each month to keep people motivated (if there are to many variables it makes it difficult to compare each others work and award).

I'm not sure how we can tie this into the gaming aspect you are after since most of us are geographically challenged - I don't think there would be another DNet member within a 1000km of me :)

Because we are in P&M we can really only judge as a collective the quality of the paint job, the theme of the army, the effort put into it's creation etc

Personally I think the army list should be as open as possible rather than specific to EOT

Do we get participants to lock in their list prior to commencing the event?

We need to kick this off in Feb so if there are any further changes to the rules for the event we should finalise them swiftly.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Both concepts encouraged me to paint more in the past weeks than the 6 months before that combined... and I can't wait to do more. There's merit to both concepts and I'd like to combine them.

Draken's suggestion was very cool, with the army blog and all, but it required a dedication to a single list for a whole year. That's not an excessive commitment for painting, but it could be in terms of gaming. For people who still have to build the models (like me) it requires a downtime before the list can see some action.

CultofKhaine's proposition offers all the flexibility but doesn't engage as much on the tabletop.
As CoK suggests, perhaps we can use one as a first step for the other and split the event in two sections?

1. The initial 1500 painting competition, which accepts any units we paint for it.
  2. The Army blog challenge - part 1. We submit a list of "at least 1.2K" points and for the first 6 months, we focus on battles with at least one or more of the units in the list. This allows starters to get going with smaller point battles or vets to play bigger battles but with a focus on their new units. I would try to submit a 2.4K list for example, but could adapt to smaller games depending on my opponent's preference (we often have a preference for smaller, quicker games).
  3. The Army blog challenge - part 2. After the initial 2 competitions, we finalize our 2.4K lists. This soft "reset" allows people that aren't too happy with their initial choices to tweak their list a little, or to swap a few units around. It replaces the need for a "change a max of X points". People that are late in the game, can easily join at this point as well.
We continue the existing blogs, but lower the barrier at first and allow a soft reset halfway for those hardcore players that can't play the same list for 8 months :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Do we have to submit our januariwork somewhere? :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Daeron - we are not starting this until Feb.

What's everyone painting this month?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Great work so far for january !

The point to start painting and than later add the battle part to it sounds good. The whole Invasion 'campaign' doesn't need to be based to 1 year, we can extent it to two or three years, as I can understand people don't have models yet or don't want to invest that much until 9th edition. I obeserved that especially the battle report section was very silent for a long time, while CultofKhaine started the painting campaign it became even more active than before.

Lets do it this way the coming 6 months and can see how we can add the battle part of it ! Ofcourse it is very cool to organize something between ourselves, but to see the invasion armies (after & while painting) on the battlefield against your own regular opponents is likewise also awesome.

Some might want to base the painting progress based on a list, others want to develop the list while painting the units as CoK suggested, so I agree that people can decide for theirselves. As long as we can keep (or even improve) the activity and buzzing of our Druchii community I am satisfied.

I will be finally painting my two units of Dark Riders this month (and more)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great LD - there are so many ways we could run this - just keen to see people get paint on models and displayed for us all to see :twisted:

Now what am I going to paint this month :o_O:
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Looking forward to following this project - I sadly can't really join due to season work and schedules just not fitting a concept like this, but will be great seeing all these other armies taking shape :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'll paint my horses this month and probably will do the Warlock riders. Though I'm not entirely sure of that yet.

- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

This picture needs a soundtrack :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Charge of the Light Brigade :)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

LOL - love the sound track TD and your ambition for painting so many horses - yeeha!

Do you have any plans to vary the poses / additional terrain around them?
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

That wall of horses is mental - awesome work. Twenty Warlocks would be such a beast of a unit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I'm committing to 20 Black Ark Corsairs this month - what's everyone else doing?
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

I'm going for 2x5 dark riders initially. Then I'm not sure whether to go the monster route or start with my corsairs or slaves.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Mine will be my two peg riders.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

T.D. wrote:This picture needs a soundtrack :mrgreen:

:P I'll play it whenever I work on them!

Cultofkhaine wrote:Do you have any plans to vary the poses / additional terrain around them?

I won't be changing the poses.. I wouldn't know how, and I expect it to be a lot of work for the benefits.
The terrain will be made as all my bases are done now: some rocks, some sandy/muddy ground and maybe the occasional tuft of grass. It was designed with larger bases in mind. My old basing method was too "flat" and repetitive for larger bases.

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Mine are finally done ! They took a lot of energy and time but I am satisfied with the result

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They look great LD - any chance of a close up to see some of the details, that banner looks interesting.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Here is the progress on mine - almost finished the cloaks. Hoping to get them done by the end of the month but it is looming quickly.
Attachments
Black Ark Corsairs.JPG
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Here is the progress on mine - almost finished the cloaks. Hoping to get them done by the end of the month but it is looming quickly.

Very nice cloaks !

Close up Banner

Army shot