[PLOG] Autumn Host by Sabious

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Errdrigar
Highborn

Re: [PLOG] Autumn Host by Sabious

Post by Errdrigar »

I always was a fan of good looking conversions and this chariot is very well done. Also I have to say that your bases look awesome - they have this almost real, swampy feel. Especially your Kharybdiss and Hydra look well with them, just like if they came right out of the swamp.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Adding the Lord on Lion Chariot to this plog. This was my January 2017 challenge admission.

A few more pics than before and even more on the blog (link in signature). Gems were fun to paint.

Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

So I was set to further paint my Gargantula when I was sidetracked (again).

This time I wanted terrain done. Here are two differently themed forests. One Elvish in autumn and one for my mountain themes. There is water on both pieces, but I do not consider it water with the trees on it. I suppose they could be water pieces without or with just some rock additions.

Again there is more in the link in the signature. Added some models to bring some life to the terrain pieces.

Hope you enjoy!

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They look great Sabious! I especially like the winter version.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Spider Chariots: We'll need to add that into the game as offical unit. poison attacks for everyone!
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Well well. It is finally here.

The Gargantulass. Arachnarok. Big Spider. Yay!

So in short it took me 1-2 days painting the spider (mostly due to lucky strike, not skill) and probably +2 weeks to finish the web. I thought the remaining scenery such as goblin graffiti and crude construction would take just as long, but it was rather quick and fell into place nicely.

It is pretty obvious I wanted something different than the standard model, and I try to make as much of the army fit the night/cave goblin theme with underground terrain and those iconic hoods (love them!). Hence the lack of Savage/Forest goblins. It obviously still plays as those.

Otherwise.. enjoy? Eh, a lot more pictures on the blog (https://sabiousblog.wordpress.com/). Also WIP there :) Some details are easier to see in the making than in the result.

Let me present.. Gargantulass and the Cool Gang of Gobbos.

Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

Cool :)
I like the level of contrast on the goblins hoods and the spider looks really good.
Only thing I find odd are the wooden spikes sticking out of the stone pillar. I understand the impulse to put them there, but still it seems a lot of work for the goblins without any real payoff. Otherwise the entire model is great.
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Thank you! And yes, hehe, I was hesitant to put up the spikes, but I decided it would give a stronger invasion feel and kind of excused myself to put them in crevices and cracks. Which.. is hardly visible once you put them there :P
Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

Yeah, you are right. Looking at the picture of the whole model, the spikes are totally lost beneath the spider.
It's just a detail and if the only critique is about some detail, that means you have done excellent work on the model.
How much did you push the highlights? Did you work them all the way to white, or is that an effect from the camera?
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Super cooooool!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

About the highlights. I have only highlighted the grey stonework and floor. Spider, goblins and everything else are inked in layers. The spider is white primer with 3-4 layers of a light brown ink. No other colours. Just added some deeper brown to the underbelly.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Colossal Squig time time

Or Greater Lemon as I think of it.

More pics on blog in signature :)

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

That's one very big squig! Well done.
Imrillion
Shade

Post by Imrillion »

So much yellow! You sir are brave, so very brave! They look amazing!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Thanks guys!

So while I was procrastinating the finishing touches of big Mr. Squig I made this too!

My splatterer! (missing crew cause I want to find the right models for it)

Image Image

Image Image
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Here we go! Scrap Wagon! Pump Wagon!

It might seem I have suddenly grown super productive, but I am just finishing models ;)

Had to move the model from a 50x50 base to a regular 50x100 chariot base. Hope you enjoy the result. I added a picture of some bases as I made them. You'll notice the Squig and Catapult bases are there too.

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amazing bases you got there! Love the conversions and colours in your work Sabious
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Agree with Lord D, bases look great
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

So I was having a ton of fun making the base for my Great Green Idol and made a push today towards finishing it.

Could not help myself from toying around with it. Now to finish the actual model!

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Loving this terrain!

The ice effect looks great and a suitably nice winter look.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Alright, this is a big one. Brace yourselves. This post is basically a three-in-one.

Terrain
1) - Icy Terrain! A while back I made a couple of forests and my terrain is growing. Three hills, two Field Markers and one impassable terrain piece are finished and ready for the table. As you may realise I play the flat terrain as water, unless it has markers on it, like the woods or fields. Added a WIP picture of the next pieces; Three more flat pieces to serve as base for whatever terrain they need to be, and a Ruin Marker. Good progress!

Great "Green" Idol
2a) - The Idea for the Great Yellow Idol. So this guy might need some explaining. No, he is not a stone behemoth as often is seen with the Idol for Orcs and Goblins. While I did look for cool beefy models (I heavily considered the Colossal Squig), I ended up liking this. Granted, he is a bit too nurgly to just pass him as some overgrown goblin, but that is just it. My army do not have orcs. Just goblins and all the trickery I can muster. So this gangly sinister-looking creature appeals to the "virtues" of my goblins, looking up to guile and cunning more than brutish strength. What really sold me was the staff, which in my mind immediatly represented the Night Goblins and their moon. A devouring moon staff. Hell yes.

2b) - The Model. This miniature was a cool challenge to bring to life. Model is Maggot Demon from Creature Caster and while I often curse my elves and dwarves for having too many belts, daggers, bracers, gems etc to paint and wishing I just had skin/hide models, it turned out to not be that simple. Tried the yellow again, just this time a little darker. Of course a blob of yellow even with some washes is not a pretty model. So I tried adding a violet which became those red parts where his skin is torn, sore, alive? - The spawning pits on his back also caused a problem, seeing the brownish-reddish colours were drowned in the dark yellow. My solution was a high contrast white to seperate the colours and I think it worked. Wondering what he actually spawns from his back, I added a spider to this hand. Tempted to drown him in little spiders, but his spider-yoyo is kind of cute (he was not too bad looking with spiders hanging from his horns or spider earrings either ;) )

Image ImageImage ImageImage Image

Fanatics
3) - Pillowfighter Fanatics!! What is a Night Goblins army without these guys. I pledged to finish more almost-finished models in the July '17 challenge and these are some of them. Granted, this is my fast paint army, so don't bother with magnifying glasses ;) - These are table ready and when I find a better way to paint their skin I will finish them up
---but back to these guys! Of course they are causing a mess around the dwarves as some of the bases show, but more interesting is their weapon. These guys really show the theme for my army. They are "Good Night" goblins. They will knock you right to sleep! Their light blue robes are intended to be pyjamas, to which I might add stripes and such one day. Their symbol is a crescent moon, these guys pillowfight you (although you might notice they did not stuff the pillows with feathers.) What drives these underground pyjama partigoers to battle? Might be nightmares! Like that Great Yellow Idol up there - a living nightmare! Who knows :) In short I guess you could say a demon is pulling the strings? Yoyo. So if something is sleep/night/cave oriented, it fits in this army.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I have seen it all now - who would have thought pillow fighting goblins :shock:

Great update and some excellent work - I really like the terrain you have pulled together it has a nice look to it.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

"Pillow Fighters" are beyond awesome 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Haha, nice one
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

So when I painted up the Thicket Beast BSB I had another shepherd in the waiting. I managed to paint him up as well, deciding to try a split theme. On one half his eye is shocked while he chokes on the deadly ivy vines, while his healthy side is furious and striking. Was not expecting much from this model, but now I love it. Them both actually.

Image Image

I needed to check my half-finished Thicket Beasts for colour comparison to paint the shepherds above, and it just so happened that I finished these six guys as well! I cannot claim credit from assembling them (since I bought them from someone else), but I made the faceless champion and painted everything on my own. Including changing bases, adding critters, vegetation etc. I was having trouble with the models being very plain with barely just one colour. So I tried spicing up the environment and I think I succeeded in turning them far more interesting.

What do you guys think? Should I make more split-themed ones? Should the champion have a face? Let me know!