Quick 'n' Dirty Raised Rune Sculpting Tutorial

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Quick 'n' Dirty Raised Rune Sculpting Tutorial

Post by Calisson »

P&M CONTENTS BOARD updated, thanks.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

The thing I always find difficult (apart from keeping things symetrical) is making sure the greenstuff actually stays stuck to the surface and doesn't slide around or delaminate. The tutorial images there show it on a (rough textured) slottabase, but you're pretty much never going to be sculpting runes or other symbols on such a rough surface. It's nearly always smooth surfaces, like Space Marine shoulder pads, banners, shields or whatever. And if you're not careful, the water used to lubricate the sculpting tool seeps under the greenstuff and makes the whole thing drop off! So, what tips do you have for keeping the greenstuff stuck down while you sculpt?
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

That's indeed tricky, though the principle is the same whether on a rough slottabase or flat shoulder pad (I do these tutorials on flat bases for clarity, since no curvature or surrounding detail distract). When applying the green stuff, wipe off your fingers. No water and little at all sweat. Press the GS firmly into place with your thumb. Press down the edges of the green stuff with a dry sculpting tool, snugly and smoothed-out enough so that no water can escape in under the sculpting putty. Now, work with water in sculpting so that the GS doesn't stick to your tool and thus may be loosened from the model. Whenever you cut parts away of the GS, do it with little or no water at all in case any edges loosens and opens up for water gliding in beneath it. Keep eyes open for this happening, and when it does, press and smooth (and reshape) it dry back into place as in step 3 above. I hope that makes sense, but it's mostly a matter of fooling around with a dry sculpting tool when the GS isn't pressed/smoothed perfectly down into the underlying surface, then wet tool for most sculpting.

I now realize I've never mentioned wet or dry in any tutorials before. Whoops. Too used to it to register the need, until you brought it up. Sorry.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Sculpting runes rather fast on this Eldar for my brother was what made him suggest I make a tutorial for runes. Besides, having more yellow than usual in GS makes it stick better to any surface: