Important information about the Slaanesh variant list

Old campaign - Where the druchii members discussed the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Moderators: Underway, The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Important information about the Slaanesh variant list

Post by Dark Alliance »

Had a long telephone conversation with Anthony Reynolds today, who is writing the Dark Elf/Slaanesh variant list for the Summer of Chaos. Yes there is definitely going to be a list - love it or hate it :)

In response to the regular email and pm enquiries I get asking for more details of the list, Anthony has given me permission to reveal limited information for those wishing to buy new units, in order to be able to use this list.

Please note that I will not answer specifics about point costs, abilities, items etc. You will have to wait for those details. The idea is to give players more time to get their armies painted for the campaign. It should be noted also that there is still no definite commencement date for the campaign, nor have GW finalised the mechanics of how it will work. As soon as we have more info' I'll post it.

So here goes.........

The fluff behind the story is Morathi leading a raiding party into Lustria in search of 'items'. She has convinced Malekith to allow her to use the Chaos scum to further her search - hence the link with Slaanesh.

In the variant list you will be able to field - Slaaneshi Daemons / Marauders / Chaos warriors & Chaos Knights and Chaos Spawn.

This information should be enough to help you with some purchase decisions as unit sizes will not vary from normal use :D

Please do not turn this thread into a debate over the merits of the inclusion of these units into our list though. :evil: I will delete any such posts as I am not at liberty to discuss any restrictions or abilities concerning the use of these units. Questions like that will undoubtably arise within such a discussion so don't waste your time! As I said, this thread is merely to help those who wish to use the variant list to prepare their armies. If you don't like it don't use it. Simple as that because the main list can be used in the campaign anyway.

Thank you for reading :D
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Reading ancient books to learn, so I can bring the Apocolypse sooner.

Post by Ragnarok »

Thnx for the news. :P
http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=11002 Look at this and fight for Malekith.
Onyx paladin
Assassin

Post by Onyx paladin »

Thanks for the information. It definitely puts new tactics into the list. Now I have a reason to actually buy Slaaneshi Deamonnettes.
"Khaine only embraces death, while the Cult of Pleasure embraces life and all of its aspects. I often wonder how people have trouble choosing between the two."

~Lady Xaniphera, preistess of Slaanesh
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

READ THE CONTENT AND EVERY WORD BEFORE POSTING!!!!

I am assisting DA in deleting nonrelevant posts. Don't dare tempt us on this one. We take our relationship with GW very, very seriously and will not allow anything to damage it.

And just to reiterate, DA is the good cop. I am the BAD cop. :evil:
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Underway wrote:
And just to reiterate, DA is the good cop. I am the BAD cop. :evil:

lol :lol: That's really quite funny!

Sorry, something I forgot to mention is that there will not be any mutated Elves. The Elven races are deemed to have a natural resistence to the mutating effects of Chaos.
Iron_panther
Black Guard

Post by Iron_panther »

Thanks for the info. But... if we're not supposed to debate the new units and how they will affect the druchii gameplay, then what shall we debate? Or is this thread only existing to inform us what new units will be present in the new list? If that's the case, why don't you just lock this thread? it would be nice if you clarified what we are allowed to discuss. Oh, and did they supply you with the reason why the chaos scum (mortals) choose to support the elves (like, don't they have an unsuspecting old world to sack or something?).
Why does it feel so good to be bad?
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

As far as I can tell the Chaos in the list there because of two are two things.

1) Deamons are summoned and controled by the Cult of Pleasure

2) Mortals are tricked, bought, duped, worship the same god, enslaved, ensorcelled or threatened to help the Cult of Pleasure. Make up your own fluff for this one. But that is the indication that we got from GW. Clearly the DE are in control and the Chaos scum are working for us.

It says in a number of references in the Dark Elf book that we use the humans to further our goals. For example have Norse Marauders attack Ulthuan for treasure and in the Lizardmen book, Dark Elves are seen guiding Marauders raids into Lustria.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Iron_Panther wrote:Thanks for the info. But... if we're not supposed to debate the new units and how they will affect the druchii gameplay, then what shall we debate

I have no issue with your debating the new units and their tactical use in the army. I would encourage such a flow of conversation. What I do not want to debate is whether the units should be there in the first place.

That decision has already been made by GW. The list is close to finalisation and as such we have little chance of influencing it. GW want Daemons and Warriors in there, so that's what we have. That was my point, sorry if it wasn't too clear. ;)
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ragnarok »

It says chaos knights, are they chosen chaos knights? and if they are are they only slaanesh chosen? Same for the warriors? and slaaneshi Demons are they demonetes ore are they Keeper of secrets?
http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=11002 Look at this and fight for Malekith.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Ragnarok wrote:It says chaos knights, are they chosen chaos knights? and if they are are they only slaanesh chosen? Same for the warriors? and slaaneshi Demons are they demonetes ore are they Keeper of secrets?

These questions cannot be answered but use your brain. It says slanneshi deamons (plural) so which ones do you think would be used. As for the chosen question just buy you chaos knights and wait and see. Like DA said this is for modeling issues, and prep for the SoC. As such chosen knights and regular knights don't look any different.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Logically, the Knights will be marked Slaanesh. And yes, I used 'Daemons' in the plural rather than list them all. Being lazy and that.

Personally I look forward to fielding Daemonettes alongside my DEs. I believe that we now have pretty much all the coolest minis GW produce available for use. :D

Mounted Daemonettes are just some of the funkiest models ever!
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ragnarok »

Oke tnx. :lol:
Lordfoulbane
Black Guard

Post by Lordfoulbane »

Wwwwwwwicked...thanks for the news - I can't see any complaints about the units we can choose from thats a pretty wide selection up there. Crossing fingers that the new chaos warrior plastics are released in time.
Cheers Druchii net my next beers on you guys (an gals).
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

OK, let's kick the tactical discussion off as much as we can.

The inclusion of Daemons in the list obviously increases the number of fear causing opportunities available for use. This in itself will help enourmously against the VC, although there is a susceptibility to damage from magic attacks in all forms. Kinda makes magical defence even more of a concern.

Take that into consideration I still think the Daemons are a worthy addition. As is their movement characteristic of course ;) Consider being able to field a fast cavalry unit which causes fear, has a 20" charge and mounts with poisonous attacks which always strike first ;)

Also consider having Infantry with s4 :twisted:
Friedmalekith
The Dark Prince

Post by Friedmalekith »

Hmm, I'm not too happy with the inclusion of mortals in the army, I feel they are not bringing anything good. Well, we'll probably lose CoK and Chariots, as cold ones dont fit the bill with Slaanesh.

I'll wait for the final list, but I'm concerned, like half of my models will be rendered useless.
FriedMalekith, Lord of Purple
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Chariots are out, due to the fact it is a jungle expedition, but Cold One Knights are in.
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

I'll wait for the final list, but I'm concerned, like half of my models will be rendered useless.

Only if you choose to play the variant list.

Remember everyone, the point of this thread is to give everyone an idea of what to start modeling. After all the rumors for the past few months, I wouldn't expect any of it to be a big surprise to anyone really.

One follow up question DA, did Anthony give you any indication when the official lists might be released to the public? I would expect that there will be a teaser in WD about a month or two before the release of the SoC Book, too, no?
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

Actually, this list looks to be a great way to expand your current DE armies. By adding a few of the new units that DA has given us, we should be able to essentially play two different lists with the same basic set of stuff.

Very nice -
Thanks DA -
Jeff
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ragnarok »

Are witch elves allowed since them being Khaine and all?
Lordfoulbane
Black Guard

Post by Lordfoulbane »

hrmmmm a demon prince will be interesting - we've had few options with respect combat mages in the past. With their flight they will work really well with a few DR units close by.
I can see alot of peeps switching their knights for the chaos alternative - really no contest there chosen or not.
Lord Veshnakar
Highborn

Post by Lord Veshnakar »

Ahh awesome, this will open a bunch of new painting opportunities with my dark elf army :P. I am not into the whole chaos elves thing but honestly I really am thrilled about this, its a chance to use chaos knights and slannesh daemons and to paint them, and that will be a nice change from the normal army list.

Take that into consideration I still think the Daemons are a worthy addition. As is their movement characteristic of course Consider being able to field a fast cavalry unit which causes fear, has a 20" charge and mounts with poisonous attacks which always strike first

Also consider having Infantry with s4

This is my favorite part, I cant wait to get to put daemonettes Mounted and not mounted in my army list, this will give some great potential to make an extremely fast army. Imagine going up against 4 regiments of 6 daemonettes on steeds, 6 regiments of 5 dark riders, Slannesh magic, and bolt throwers :twisted: .
"Do unto others before they do unto you."
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

My personal favorite is the deamonettes on steeds. I have used them in the past and they are remarkably strong. A medium cav if you will against a number of opponents.

Flank a unit of skaven slaves (or even a unit of clanrats) with these girls and you will most likely see them off due to combat res as they lose their Ld bonus and and the +3 due to ranks.

Deamonettes as foot troops are great, 2 str 4 attacks with a 5+ save vs nonmagical and cause fear. These ladies are really good. The only problem with them is that they pop if they fail their leadership test.

My second favorite unit is spawn. I love these guys and think they make and interesting trade for the chariots. That whole unbreakable thing is awesome. Too bad they don't have an armour save!
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

Underway -

When you think about it, Instability is not so bad of a thing. Granted, if they roll over their Ld they pop ... but a normal unit would also run in that situation, and likely be run down.

I have found that Daemons can really stick around at times ... not always, but they can.

J
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

This will definitely allow us to use our speed and manueverability to the max. This list as far as I can see promises to be probably the quickest most manueverable list out there. It will also have the added punch of Daemons and Mortals. The immune to psychology and fear that Daemons cause will make this a nice reliable list (though Cold One Stupidity is still there.)
Ragnarok
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ragnarok »

Yeah but we have to look out not to turn to slaanesh to much ore you could youst play Chaos.