An idea to prevent them darned spams to boast post counts.

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

An idea to prevent them darned spams to boast post counts.

Post by Rasputinii »

You know the posts I mean. Where people write something like, "TERROR USE TERROR" and thats all. The sort of posts that are clearly there to get the poster a higher post count. That thing we all loathe.

Well how about when ever you see one it gets reported and then an admin or such docks that person 5 from their post count. So doing it looses you posts! I am sure that would put an almost guarranteed stop to the problem!

What do you think?
Pleased to be back
Bemenacth
Beastmaster

Post by Bemenacth »

Good Idea, but it would take a hell of a lot of the moderators time.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

It would mean a lot of work for the mods...
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Give me the power and I would happily do it.... ;)

Good point. But something must be done. I can not take all these stupid answeres that add nothing. I keep having to lecture people and whilst it is rather interesting. A punishment would be most interesting.
Pleased to be back
Tu'shan
Noble

Post by Tu'shan »

Do people really care that much about their post count.....

Ive been on this forum for a couple of years now, but my post count is still relitivly low.... why do people bother.....

Maybe an easier way would be to remove the ranking system, I dont like the idea, but if it stoped people from making those kinds of posts then it may be a worthy sacrifice to make........
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

Well, the thing is that you get a custom rank with 1000 posts. Might be that they're after. Or only having loads of posts, making them think they're wise.. :rolls:
No idea actually why..

Nice idea Rasputin, but loads of works for moderators.. Maybe promote a few more members to moderators to try this idea?
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

AFAIK it isn't even possible for admins to lower a person's post count (except for deleting posts). The best thing you can do is report the post. A mod/admin will then delete it/warn the poster etc.
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

I suggest the idea that custom titles could ONLY be given by moderators.

This way, players would actually have to make meaningful posts to gain the title not just get high post counts. I think that the custom titles should be given to those who have demonstrated some help or good discussion threads in the forums.
There once was a High Elf named Bill
He went out and fought with all his will
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
And that was the end of poor Bill.
----
Try out the Warlord at http://www.druchii.net/tbf/Warlord_v1.00.zip
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

While that is a possibility Black Hydra, there are a lot of people who have custom titles just cause they've been here a while (I'm not even talking about myself, I'm talking waaay back). I really don't see it as too big a deal, I don't think post count has much to do with it (or I could just be giving humanity the benefit of the doubt)...
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

Hey Ras? See the morale here?

ARE posts so important? Everyone claims they arent, like you must claim they arent as you want to punish those who think posts are important. But WHY would you want to punish them? Do you really care if they want a higher post count? After all you dont care about posts do you? So actually you DO care, you dont like it when "n00bs" get a higher post count than you. Therefore you start things like this. Its true and you and a whole lotta ppl out there know it.
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Kithan da supah kewl!1!! wrote:Hey Ras? See the morale here?

ARE posts so important? Everyone claims they arent, like you must claim they arent as you want to punish those who think posts are important. But WHY would you want to punish them? Do you really care if they want a higher post count? After all you dont care about posts do you? So actually you DO care, you dont like it when "n00bs" get a higher post count than you. Therefore you start things like this. Its true and you and a whole lotta ppl out there know it.
I know I'm going to lose a lot of respect for this, but I agree with Kithan. I think that by worrying about the spammers' posting counts, we are stooping to their level (so to speak). I figure we do what we usually do, because if they keep spamming they'll have a high post count on a banned account. If that's what they want, then let the baby have his bottle.
Goodbye.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Its not about their post counts, its about there spam, and so far the current system hasn't worked. I see the same people adding the most useless replies to posts and I can only guess its to get their post counts up. I just thought this idea would combat the spam. I am not that bothered about post count, but I know to many and proberbly the sppammers it does, so this is a practical soloution, No?

Thats what its about Kithan.
Pleased to be back
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Ras, I've said it a mllion times, and apparently I'm forced to say it again (and this time in bold):
Use the [I swear too much] Report Button, People!!!

If people started to use this thing spam would be gone within a few hours. Deleted, gone, kapoof, vanished...
AFAIK only admins have control over the members' profiles (to that level), and with only 5 admins (some very inactive) it would clog up their schedule. I think instant deletion of the spam is the way to go, but unfortunately we do not really have enough active Black Guards either. I am pretty active, so I'll take up the discussion with some admin soon.

Loremaster Nagathi
Last edited by Nagathi on Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rip
Executioner

Post by Rip »

Not trying to be offensive but this thread is kind of ridiculous, but that is my opinioin. Is spam really that big of a problem? If the owner thinks so, then let him decide what to do. It seems to me that he has done a great job with this site so far.
Is punishing people really the answer? I would say no because you would probably lose a lot of members. If anything it would give this site a bad name. Would you really want that?
Lord Nagathi, before I say what I am going to say, I want you to know that I have the up-most respect for you, and have enjoyed talking to you on other forums---but I have never seen you so volatile. I am utterly shocked and I am not just talking about your use of the "f" word above....

A much confused,
RIP
Like Ghost stories?
Check out www.thebellwitch.net
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I'm sorry, but I'm in a quite bad mood overall...
I've edited it slightly to not offend anyone.

Loremaster Nagathi
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist

Post by Kithan^^ »

Well, only one or two times have i been in a post with only one-liner replies (mostly useless ones). 2 TIMES!!

If one person has a spam post sure i will report it, but its never been a problem.
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin

Bloodtemplar
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bloodtemplar »

How about just removing the post count altogether? It only creates spam and some kind of a fake hierarchy to the community, adding very little good overall. As some people post tens of messages per day with just enough text to not count them as spam and others practically write a book and post it with one blow, the post count doesn't really tell anything of the user in question so what purpose does it serve?
Metal for miniatures - plastic for toys.
Lord rakash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord rakash »

Maybe you can make the creator of a topic able to delete reported posts... But I don't really care that much if anyone spams... let them have their fun, they'll get bored after 300 spamposts...
[]xxxx[::::::::::::::::::::::>
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Sabush wrote:But I don't really care that much if anyone spams... let them have their fun, they'll get bored after 300 spamposts...
Trust me, they won't. I have seen several occasions where a spammer has made lots of useless crap postings and still thinks he is funny after 300 posts.

Loremaster Nagathi
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist

Post by Kithan^^ »

*cough* Lord Happyslave *cough*

Though i thought he was hilarious :D

The thing with those who post 10+ posts a day which arent that long. They make up probably almost half the ppl on the site who are active. Then come those with "book" replies, these users spend more time on their posts and give well thought over and good replies, a great example here is MTUCache, you almost never see a post from him that is less than 2 lines. His posts are to a very high standard. But not everyone is like that, the majority of people prefer short replies. Not necessarily for post count purpouses but because they PREFER it.

Again, every time you whine about post counts. You are really thinking egoistically. I could bet a fortune than less than 5 or 10 percent of the users here really care if there is one or two spam posts here and there. People get annoyed if "n00bs" have a higher post count than them. Its not necesarily because their replies are any worse.
Last edited by Kithan^^ on Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

And once again we must clarify what is spam:
Spam is not short replies. Spam is useless replies. Replies which have no contributing meterial are considered spam. It has nothing to do with post length.
It is important to separate "short replies" from "spam" since those are two different things. A short reply can be spam, but it is not automatically spam (as some of you seem to think).

Loremaster nagathi
Indraugnir
Executioner

Post by Indraugnir »

It's a good thing you clarified that when you did, Nagathi. I was just about to make some comment about somehow not even letting really short posts through. Had you posted any later that probably would have been directed at me.

I know what Kithan means by "book" replies. Although I've only ever seen a couple posts by MTUCache, another person who rarely posts anything but large yet still very intelligent replies is Archdukechocula. *sigh* I wish there were more people like that on this site.

I personally don't really care about my post count (sorry if this seems unrelated but I just need to get this out of my system). I mean look at it compared with how long I've been here. I've seen many people with less posts than me quickly rise above my count. A good example is High Handed Executioner (although him I wouldn't really consider a spammer). I remember becoming a Shade at the same time as he did and I would be surprised if he had any less than 500 posts right now.
I am driven to the depths of rage and at the bottom I shall find a void, where I will wander for eternity.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Loremaster Nagathi wrote:Ras, I've said it a mllion times, and apparently I'm forced to say it again (and this time in bold):
Use the [I swear too much] Report Button, People!!!

If people started to use this thing spam would be gone within a few hours. Deleted, gone, kapoof, vanished...
AFAIK only admins have control over the members' profiles (to that level), and with only 5 admins (some very inactive) it would clog up their schedule. I think instant deletion of the spam is the way to go, but unfortunately we do not really have enough active Black Guards either. I am pretty active, so I'll take up the discussion with some admin soon.

Loremaster Nagathi

While it's true that most of the admins are pretty inactive (actually, I think I'm the only really active one at the moment, although Lord Thalack is around from time to time - the others have IRL issues, IIRC) as are most of the BGs, if the Report button is used properly moderating the entire site can conceivably be done by just one administrator. It takes a bit of time, and usually means that the mod has to spend about an hour taking care of each and every post reported (which means that we have less time to do other things), but it can be done.

I cannot stress enough how much the Report function helps when moderating the site. I've stopped marauding around the forums to get rid of silly posts because, to be honest, I don't have the energy. I only take care of reported posts because I know that those are the ones that are actually annoying people. If more posts are reported, fine. I'll take care of them.

Don't feel bad for reporting posts either. No one but the moderators know who has reported it (we don't file your names or anything, but its part of the popup window). And you don't have to avoid reporting it unless something awful's happened. If you see a post that annoys you because you feel that it's spam, report it! However, sometimes we need to know why you reported something, so it's best to post something in the thread that states what's up.

OK, I'm done. I'm off to do other things.
Goodbye.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Sneaky wrote:While it's true that most of the admins are pretty inactive (actually, I think I'm the only really active one at the moment, although Lord Thalack is around from time to time - the others have IRL issues, IIRC) as are most of the BGs, if the Report button is used properly moderating the entire site can conceivably be done by just one administrator. It takes a bit of time, and usually means that the mod has to spend about an hour taking care of each and every post reported (which means that we have less time to do other things), but it can be done.
First of all: Whatever happened to Thanee, I'm getting really worried (maybe this is not the best place to discuss it, but send me a PM if you know).

Secondly: I really don't mind spending countless hours fixing reported posts, that's a lot better then the current state where I run around manically reporting posts. I think we have one admin with good activity, one BG with good activity and one regular mod with good activity. It feels a little undermanned (if that's even a word). I'd be glad to help as a Black Guard.

Loremaster Nagathi
Bloodtemplar
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bloodtemplar »

There's nothing wrong with short posts as long as they have some point in them. However I don't want to see a hundred and eleventh user contributing a "yeah Im wit u on dat 1" when everyone and their mother has already answered the question.

And Kithan, Druchii.net is not life and death for everyone. Just thought your theory was a bit far stretched.

I just feel that the ones having a low post count are inevitably looked down upon. The post count doesn't really serve any purpose, though I understand that the ones having 1000+ posts are not that keen on getting rid of the figure.
Metal for miniatures - plastic for toys.