Fast, Beasty and Magicy Army of Manourverability [2K]

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

The dark prince
Malekith's Personal Guard

Fast, Beasty and Magicy Army of Manourverability [2K]

Post by The dark prince »

Have been reading through a couple of very old posts, in particular the Field Tactics threads written by Maraith Teurl (very good threads, especially the early ones, for people who can be bothered to go searching for them), and liked his 'Army of Insane Manourverability' (aka AoIM). Tell me what you think of this little list.

High Sorc on Manti [Lv. 4, ToF, Wand, CoBI]
Beastmaster on Manti [SDC, L, Blood Armour]
Sorc on Dark Steed [Lv. 2, 2 scrolls]

3*5 Dark Riders M [RXB]
5 Dark Riders S

6 Cold One Knights S [War Banner]

6 Dog of War Heavy Cav [16" move, 3+ save, lances]
War Hydra

The three DR units with RXBs will make a harassing team along with the steeded sorceress, the bannered riders along with the DoW and CoK will make a hard hitting, punchy and fast strike force. The Hydra is there pretty much to draw a bit of my opponents attention away from the other large targets. And, the HS on Manti is staying, trust me I know how to use her. The High Sorc will most often take Dark or Death, while the steeded sorc might take any.

Thoughts?

TDP
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Dare I say it? Yes I do. I actually might prefer this to Marith awe inspiring idea. I have always been allured by the two big kittie list but never gotten round to using them.

My one concern would be a lack of chariots, they really add to thee style of lists.

Overall: Thumb up, big time :D

One other piece of advice, PM marith and get his input. May as well get some input from the master :D
Pleased to be back
Bemenacth
Beastmaster

Post by Bemenacth »

Cool list but don't give the rules for the DOW cavalry. It could be considered a copyright break.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

but don't give the rules for the DOW cavalry

He hasn't. He has simpley explained their equipment. Saying unbarded unfortuantly does not register with most people as giving them a 3+ save and a 16" charge.
Pleased to be back
Darkadon

Post by Darkadon »

Unless you know you will be playing HE alot, I would replace the COBI with the HSoD just to give the HS better survivability if she gets in a sticky situation.

It depends on your opponent, but what I would do with choice of lores would be to give the HS the dark magic lore. With her flying around with the BM, WoP and dominion become that much scarier for the enemy. The S on DR would have death and hang around the DR to increase the amount of damage they inflict.

Good luck!
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Another very nice list TDP.

Your High Sorceress will probably want to get into CC so why don't make her a bit more aggressive ? I would give her Hydra Blade and HSoD instead of what she has now (Doomstick is good but it will be a waste each time HS will be fighting). I have playtested this idea long ago and I still remember my opponents face when HS killed 4 Warriors :lol:

And I think that you should do quite well with only one Dispel Scroll - so I would advise you to take Darkstar Cloak intead of the second one. One more PD is always useful.

Hmm... I would like to see Harpies here. They fit AoIM perfectly. So maybe take them instead of one DR unit ? Just a personal taste.

Anyway, I like the list - definitely you must tell us how it works on the battlefield.
The dark prince

Well, very interesting suggestions from everyone.
Your High Sorceress will probably want to get into CC so why don't make her a bit more aggressive ? I would give her Hydra Blade and HSoD instead of what she has now (Doomstick is good but it will be a waste each time HS will be fighting). I have playtested this idea long ago and I still remember my opponents face when HS killed 4 Warriors

As you say Errd, it would be quite a nice suprise for my opponent finding a High Sorc autobreaking him, but then again, I might find I want her tooled up for spellcasting.
what I would do with choice of lores would be to give the HS the dark magic lore. With her flying around with the BM, WoP and dominion become that much scarier for the enemy. The S on DR would have death and hang around the DR to increase the amount of damage they inflict

Main reason for choosing Dark on the HS would be to get Soulstealer, and boost up her wounds.
Unless you know you will be playing HE alot , I would replace the COBI with the HSoD just to give the HS better survivability if she gets in a sticky situation.

The main reason for CoBI of HSoD is that it is cheaper. Also, considering I have randomisation as well, and can top up my wounds with Soulstealer, she is ok with just the 5+ ward. Also, there are other targets in the army as well, which will hopefully draw some fire away from her as well. If it's good enough for Maraith, it's good enough for me.
My one concern would be a lack of chariots, they really add to thee style of lists.

I know what you mean, but I have a gripe about chariots in these armies. They are just too slow in my books for the AoIM, until they get the charge, and are better for accompanying infantry. Also, where would you get the points for them from?

Hmmmmm, actually thinking about everyone's thoughts, how about this kit for the HS: Hydra Blade, CoBI, ToF. I really want to get Soulstealer, and the Tome allows me to do this. However, Hydra Blade on the HS might not be that good of an idea, give me some feedback on this people. Here is an alternative list.

VARIANT LIST

HS on Manti [ToF, Hydra Blade, CoBI]
Beastmaster on Manti [BA, L, SDC]
Sorc on Dark Steed [DSC, scroll]

5 Dark Riders M [RXB]
5 Dark Riders M [RXB]
5 Dark Riders SM

6 Cold One Knights S [War Banner]
7 Harpies

6 DoW Heavy Cav [16" charge, 3+ save, lances]
War Hydra

Total: 1999
Power Dice: 9
Dispel Dice: 5 + scroll

Slightly more quirky list, not sure if I like it better or even as much, tell me what you people think...

TDP
Last edited by The dark prince on Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dark prince

Just had another thought. Draich of Dark Power on the High Sorceress??? Could be a very nasty surprise, with a bit of luck. Just an idea...

TDP
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Well, certainly I like the second version more. Great AoIM IMO.

About DoDP - although I agree I could be extremely nasty suprise for opponent, you would need a huge amount of luck to kill something important with KB having only one attack. That's why I suggested Hydra Blade - with this weapon you should concentrate on making a flank charge on enemy madicorate infantry (about 4+ ASv). With 2-4 St3 and 4 st 5 attack you should break units like this without troubles.
Mirz do ordas
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mirz do ordas »

well,

it is a nice list, and it is nice to see the HS on manti again (used her to nice effect on a tourney once). I would not give the HS a magic weapon thou, or maybye the lifetaker.

see the manticore as a nice way of transport and protection for the HS (terror/ fear test to charge) and to give her sight for spells. This does not mean you have to avoid CC at all costs, but only when you want it, and the added attacks will not make the difference then (for the bonus would be the flank + no enemy ranks then).
When my opponent agrees on a rule, I must have been wrong