My new sourceress

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Bassik d.
Slave on the Altar

My new sourceress

Post by Bassik d. »

Hello. First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I nplayed Skaven a long, LONG time, and now, also thanks to a good friend who dwells on this site, I started Dark Elves. I want to theme my army around the Drow, so grey skin, white hair, etc. I painted my first miniature, and I would like to know what you think about it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/ ... ceress.jpg
Last edited by Bassik d. on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bassik. Keeping the Cult of the Horned Rat alife.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Seems like a nice start to an army. Its a little hard to make out details between the glare and whatnot on the pic, but I'd say its a good start. Just another 100 for an army right? ;)
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

Aren't Drow a LOT darker than that? At least what I've seen in art and other D&D related stuff, they are pretty close to a blackishbrowngrey, with pale hair... I'm confused now...

Looks pretty nice tho. :D

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Ke'hl'ash silinrul
Noble

Post by Ke'hl'ash silinrul »

I like the colour scheme. My DE are mainly green and grey (since I hate to paint gold) so I like it a lot.

On the other side arcturus is right. Drow are much darker then you painted your sorcs skin. Shadow Grey or even Codex Grey with Fortress Grey highlight would look more like drow (with Chaos Black undercoat offcourse).

Your sorc looks great to me but it is more like a Vampire Count then drow sorc.
I am Ke'hl'ash Silinrul, Bounty Hunter!!!

Beware of the shadows!!!
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Hmmm to be honest i cant see much at this pic. All i can say is that she has green robes (prolly highlighted but it is hard to see) with gold details, which is nice colour scheme imo. She has nice light blue tone skin which is good. Noone can say that it i wrong or how drow skin should look like. Anybody seen real drow? If U like it - go for it! With this dark green color scheme loght blue skin looks very fine. However my advice is to pay more attention to contrasting details, coz as i can see for example U just painted her staff with gold. few contrasting bits would be on place.
Good start! But make better pics next time and someone will surely give U more comprehensive advices.

BTW guys: how U can rate something which is hardly seen?
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Ke'hl'ash silinrul
Noble

Post by Ke'hl'ash silinrul »

Iyagd wrote:Noone can say that it i wrong or how drow skin should look like. Anybody seen real drow?

There is such a big comunity with people roleplaying drows, playing dozens of dnd games, warhammer, pc games and tons of fantasy books wrote where drow is described in details so I think that we all are building our picture of drow according to those things.
I agree that if you think your mini have the right colour then you should stick with it but if you want the real thing then you gotta follow the rest.

This is a fantasy game so there are many races we never saw. :lol:
How can we paint them right? :P

And pic is bad quality but you rate what you see. So far it looks good. Maybe with better pic it would look even better or it would be worst. But we rate what we see. :shock:
I am Ke'hl'ash Silinrul, Bounty Hunter!!!

Beware of the shadows!!!
Llamarama
Executioner
Location: The snowy slopes of Minnesota, living with yetis and winter wolves...

Post by Llamarama »

Hey Bassik, nice to see you on these forums now! :D
www.underempire.net -- Come visit us! The Skaven are calling you...

Member of the Council of Thirteen
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

1. DROW is sindari for "popo", so you dont what drows right? ;)

2. the skin colour is nice. dont listnen to those who says its not "drow". just call him a dark elf and you will be fine :D
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

i think it looks good sure the picture ain't the best but it's ok. i quite like it a good start to an army keep it up.
P.S: Welcome to Druchii.net
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

1. DROW is sindari for "popo", so you dont what drows right?

Really? That seems unlikely, Papa Tolkien never aknowledges the extance of bodily function of any kind in his works.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

hmm, i dont know for sure, but i have heard it is so, and that "drow" is a mockery to the race... i dont have a dictionary here and now, so i cant check... allso, its probably quenia, not sindari. i can never keep those apart... ;)
Angel of the void
Trainee Warrior

Post by Angel of the void »

Ke'hl'ash Silinrul wrote:I like the colour scheme. My DE are mainly green and grey (since I hate to paint gold) so I like it a lot.

On the other side arcturus is right. Drow are much darker then you painted your sorcs skin. Shadow Grey or even Codex Grey with Fortress Grey highlight would look more like drow (with Chaos Black undercoat offcourse).

Your sorc looks great to me but it is more like a Vampire Count then drow sorc.

hey who defined drow exactly they can look how he wants them to look, though it is customarily grey skin. Personally i like his rendering of the 'drow' better than this 'darkbrown-grey-black' skin which i dislike but thats just my Opinion. After all: I will defend to the death your right to be wrong!
Save a Dark Pegasus,
Ride a Sorceress

http://rpg.samuraiwar.com/page.php?x=3790498