Q on building ships

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Q on building ships

Post by Sexy druchii »

ok, so sofar, I have started building one of my 3 Khorne Frigates. I have built the outer walls, and have started the engines. One problem though, how do I make those propellers that American Steamships used in the 1800's? I have one on the back of each ship...
Ke'hl'ash silinrul
Noble

Post by Ke'hl'ash silinrul »

Well, Skaven Doomwheel is perfect for that but it is not cheap if you need 6 of them:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront ... &orignav=9

just the wheel:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront ... &orignav=9

If you wanna build one then maybe take toa papper (or Pringles chips) tube and cut it to represent wheels. Then use some thin wood (balsa wood, toothpicks, ice cream sticks, depending on how large the wheel is) and build the inner part of the wheel (put them one on the other and bind them in the middle so that they build a star). Hope you can picture what I´m trying to explain. ;)
I am Ke'hl'ash Silinrul, Bounty Hunter!!!

Beware of the shadows!!!
Sv_harlequin
Assassin

Post by Sv_harlequin »

Your making paddle ship then, Either use Doomwheels like Ke'hl'ash Silinrul suggested or use card to make the outer ring the a thin stick type thing through the middle with paddles attached made from board/wood.
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right.
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Sorry for not clarifying. These ships are pure brass. They sail through rivers of lava, in Hell. Sorry about that. Should I just use Plasicard, and make paddles around a wooden dowel? I think that'll work...
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

I think you have a very good start.

Have you considered using oars like a bireme or trireme? Paddle wheels present some problems in that you have to get your measurements very precise, or it will be very noticable that you are not round, and very difficult to line things up.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

I don't know of any ships of hell that paddled through the lava. I am getting these ideas from inspirational work by my friends.
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Dude, I'm not aware of any ships that travel through lava by any means. ;)

I'm just throwing out an alternative way to look at completing your project. If you're set on using a paddle-wheel, then I would suggest you get the balsa wood from a craft store, draw up the parts on paper so you can figure out the measurements of each piece and then build it from scratch. It really shouldn't be that hard, just a bit tedious getting the first pieces together to start it.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

I know that. Ships that flow through lava, why, ships from Hell, of course, and where's my army from?
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

That looks like a good start. I recommend that you use balsa wood for other parts, unless you want the parts to look like metal. But whatever you do, make sure that the thing is sturdy enough and can handle the weight of models. ;)

Good luck with it and keep us informed of the progress :)

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Well, sofar, this one is made to hold the hounds, the Hellcannon, and 5 Marauders. It will have a door leading to the hold where the hounds will be kept. The Hellcannon will have the whole of the deck for itself, as no troops wanna get close to it. The 5 Marauders will be in the back.

I will use a can cut in two, than in two again, so that there are just two circles around the paddles (thanks Ke'hl'ash Silinril), with plasticard strips in the middle to make paddles.
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Day 2 Updates:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/ ... gate3E.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/ ... gate3F.jpg

I have started the planks, and have almost completed the steam engine. Next I will build the front, pipes, and cabin.
Ke'hl'ash silinrul
Noble

Post by Ke'hl'ash silinrul »

I like how you made the wheel.

I would just add maybe 2 more plasticard strips paddles. We know what it is supposed to reperesent since we are talking about that. But maybe others might get confused. So I would add 2 more paddles (to the existing 2).

So far it looks nice. Just how I would imagine a Khorne ship.
I am Ke'hl'ash Silinrul, Bounty Hunter!!!

Beware of the shadows!!!
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Of course I am. Remember, this is still a WIP. I have added guardrails, more Paddles, and soon will make a ring to go around the paddles. I have decided that the captains of these ships will be the Khorne Cham. on foot.
Mr.me
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mr.me »

I like but After you add the other 2 paddles I would take and trim them down a teeny bit but otherwise absoulutley AWESOME 10 stars
howdy yall im mr. me
IM A NEWB or NOOB or NOOBIE or NEWBIE Whatever you prefer
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

With the other two paddles, I will make it look as if they are going through the lava. Actually, I think this ship will sail through rivers of Blood. Yea, there we go. Anything is possible with Chaos.