Glade riders into dark rider

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Marjamhew
Beastmaster

Glade riders into dark rider

Post by Marjamhew »

With the new woody releases, has anyone had any success converting the new plastic riders inot Druchii? Some of the bits seem a bit leafy, although I suppose a cloak with foliage on could be made into an SDC. What about the arms- I believe that some come attached to the bodies.

An ideas?

BTW- great to be back!! :D
New to Warhammer? Want to help new players?

Lloyba
Noble

Post by Lloyba »

iirc xizor posted a topic of his models, and his dr used the glade rider steeds with dr riders.... haven't seen any other yet

edit: here's Xizors models, the dr and the mounted char are mounted on gr steeds
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=36896

edit2: sorry about that xiZor :D been a bit foggy today
Last edited by Lloyba on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Thankyou Kives - you beat me to it, though you spelt my name wrong! ;)

I was originally gonig to convert the plastic Glade Riders into Dark Riders, but when I realised the actual Dark Riders were a perfect fit on the new steeds (and I had 5 in my bits box!) I went with them instead - as to be honest, they are really nice anyway. Combined with how nice the new Steed is I think it works really well!

Also in my new army I'm having mercenary heavy cavalry without barding, so Im using the new Elf steed with Cold One Knights as riders, as they also fit pretty well.

So, now I've pioneered this (though its an obvious conversion I must admit), I look forward to seeing what better modellers and painters can come up with.

Have fun

Chris.
Last edited by Xizor on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Druchii5263
Warrior

Post by Druchii5263 »

You could try a box of glade riders and a box of DE Warriors.

use the Glade rider horses and legs.
DEW body, rxb[the ones with only one arm] for left arm, and spear for right arm, and DEW heads or Wood elf heads[what ever you like more] and you got yourself 8 "Unique" Dark Riders for $70. You could also use DEW command parts for the Dark Rider Command.

This would save you $10-$25[depending on if you would normally buy the dark rider command]. Im going to try this because:
1. i want my army to be as converted as it can possibly be :D .
2. It's $10 dolars cheaper.
:twisted: mwahahahaha
[evil laugh]
"Bow down to my inevitable wrath, slave...
...for I am Nadurias, Master Slaver of the coasts of the Old World"
Alana
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Glade riders into dark rider

Post by Alana »

marjamhew wrote:With the new woody releases, has anyone had any success converting the new plastic riders inot Druchii? Some of the bits seem a bit leafy, although I suppose a cloak with foliage on could be made into an SDC. What about the arms- I believe that some come attached to the bodies.

An ideas?

BTW- great to be back!! :D

Hahaha. I'm doing the same thing. I fell in love with the Glade Rider's horses. What I'm doing is taking the DRs and putting them on the GR horses. A little grren stuff on the underside of the horse to create a girth and it should do just fine. Keyword SHOULD.
Rot for me, My darling, Rot for me!!!!!
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Alana, read my reply and check my pictures -

http://photobucket.com/albums/b328/the_ ... Heartless/

That wouldve answered your question before posting! The DR models fit almost perfectly on the new steeds - no GS'ing needed...

Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Xizor wrote:Alana, read my reply and check my pictures -

That wouldve answered your question before posting! The DR models fit almost perfectly on the new steeds - no GS'ing needed...

Shame about the identical horses.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Tenebrae
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Tenebrae »

druchii5263 wrote:You could try a box of glade riders and a box of DE Warriors.

use the Glade rider horses and legs.
DEW body, rxb[the ones with only one arm] for left arm, and spear for right arm, and DEW heads or Wood elf heads[what ever you like more] and you got yourself 8 "Unique" Dark Riders for $70. You could also use DEW command parts for the Dark Rider Command.

Anyone tried this yet?
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Damnation: Yeah, It kinda is. Ill get round to a second unit for this army though, and Ill shuffle them about then. Atleast the Noble got the different steed.

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I am working on this very thing as we speak. At long last, Games Workshop has shot in the head that hideous abomination of sculpting that was the absurd plastic elven Pachyderm Steed. Ugh!

As soon as I saw the new elf steeds, I thought: Hello new unit of Dark Riders!

As always, photos when finished. I think they'll be cool enough that even Rasputin will like them! :D

....on second thought, probably not :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I´m doing the same :)
Haven´t had time to start tho, so i´m looking at your posts with keen intrest.

//Endous aka. Setomidor
Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

I'm gonna be doing the same, though my bill for them will comes to around £66 I'm gonna be remounting all my reavers, dark riders and the horses on my elven chariots.

Lion: Can't wait for them but I just have to check this again, your painting plastic? o_O
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Alana
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Alana »

Damnation wrote:
Xizor wrote:Alana, read my reply and check my pictures -

Shame about the identical horses.

The DE horses are horrid. They're pretty much in the same pos and look way too much alike.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Alana: Are you refering to my converted Dark Riders, or the current Dark/High Elf Steeds?

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Prince Cal wrote:Lion: Can't wait for them but I just have to check this again, your painting plastic? o_O

Hah-ha! Yes, indeed, I have fallen from the purer faith, been nudged out of the light and have decided to include plastic stuff in my armies. It had to happen some time and I held out for a long time. I feel liberated, but slightly impure :D

As for the new horses, they come in a few poses (no different than most plastic stuff, true?) and you mix and match the parts (hopefully you get an even "random" split between the two horses and not 7and 1 like two people I know who bought the army deal, and 6 and 2 like I got in the GR box set). From there, I suppose you can alter the positions of some horses to get more variety.

I personally, think they are very nice models.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Lion, I agree with you, the new steeds are lovely. There are two "different" horses, but the sides can be mixed and matched to good effect.

The 6 I had left over and used in the above conversions where unfortunately 5 of 1 and 1 of the other. So I gave the Noble the different one (raising the steed into a rearing posistion aswell).

Whilst this makes my other 5 DR's steeds now identical this isnt a huge problem as when I get the next lot done Ill be sure to mix the two units up for more variety.

On a final note Lion, these new steeds are a damn sight nicer than those uber old skool ones you currently use for your DR's!!! ;)

Tenebrae

Post by Tenebrae »

Any pictures for posting, of converted ones?
Unit strengths and bases are covered here.
Updates are here.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Tenebrae: Dude, seriously, read the topic through!! Here is this link which is already in the topic 4 times! ;) :

Tenebrae

Post by Tenebrae »

yesyesyes. I did.
That's (as far as I can see) our classical dark riders on new horsies.
What I mean was: has anyone done any conversions of the riders? Not remounting them, but making them out of something other than the classical models, and in that case, are there any pictures?

EDIT: sorry about the mistype.
Last edited by Tenebrae on Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Sorry man, I misunderstood you...even the X man makes mistakes...from time to time ;)

I had a go at doing some greenstuffing on the plastic Glade Rider, and thoug hit looked cool, it still didnt have anything on the current Dark Riders themselves...and was a lot of effort!

Still, im sure someone on a budget will try it soon :)

Emperorpenguin
Cold One Knight

Post by Emperorpenguin »

I was reading the Wood Elf book earlier and thought I'd come up with a cool idea for converting Dark Riders, seems lots of you beat me to it! :cry:

But my idea was to use Glade Rider steeds with Glade Rider bodies, Druchii Warrior repeater crossbows and finally the cloaked scout heads from the Glade Guard models

I shall be buying a set of Glade Riders and Glade Guard tomorrow to see how this works!
Onyxheart
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Onyxheart »

Just wanted to give you your due Xizor. The models look damn cool. Nice work man.
Why put something off till tomorrow when you can put it off till the day after tomorrow. Remember as a Dark Elf you have a lot of time on your hands.
Alana
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Alana »

Xizor wrote:Alana: Are you refering to my converted Dark Riders, or the current Dark/High Elf Steeds?

To the DE/HE horses in general. Your converted ones look fantastic. I can't wait to start converting mine.
Tenebrae

Post by Tenebrae »

emperorpenguin wrote:But my idea was to use Glade Rider steeds with Glade Rider bodies, Druchii Warrior repeater crossbows and finally the cloaked scout heads from the Glade Guard models

I shall be buying a set of Glade Riders and Glade Guard tomorrow to see how this works!

Looking forward to seeing the pics! ;)

Oh, and X-man, no offence taken, I was just in a crappy mood.
And you models do indee look awsome!
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

emperorpenguin: Sounds like a decent idea...though surely it doesnt work out much cheaper, if cheaper atall!!

Onyxheart: Thanks man :)

Alana: I actually dont mind the current ones generally, but when I put my Cult of Slaanesh Dark Riders next to my new ones on the Wood Elf Steeds the difference really does show! Glad your liking my work :)

Tenebrae: No probs, we just got our wires crossed I think. Glad you like my models.