2.5k of hot hard core Eldar action.

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

2.5k of hot hard core Eldar action.

Post by Rork »

Well, someone has got to get this place moving again, and it may as well be me!

HQ.

Seer council.
Farseer Fortune, Witch Blade, RofWit, Ghost helm, Shuriken pistol
Farseer Mind War, Witch Blade, RoWit, Ghost helm, Shuriken pistol
Warlock Augment, Witch blade, RofWit, Shuriken pistol
Warlock Enhance, Witch blade, shuriken pistol
Warlock Embolden, Witch blade, Shuriken pistol

Warlock Conceal, Singing Spear, Shuriken pistol (Defender squad)
Warlock Conceal, Singing Spear, Shuriken pistol (Defender squad)
Warlock Conceal, Singing Spear, Shuriken pistol (Wraithguard)

Still a counter charge unit of doom, now with added mind war!

Avatar of the Bloody-handed God 80

Used for snagging people on guardians, counter-charging, and is a handy power weapon. Troops around with the seer council.

Elites.

5 Wraithguard 175
Transport: Wave Serpent, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Twin-linked Bright Lances, Spirit Stone 165

Close range anti-tank/big bug unit. Less likely to immolate themselves than fire dragons, and can also take a bit of return fire if necessary.

Troops

20 Black Guardians, Defender Squad, Starcannon weapons platform 210

20 Black Guardians, Defender Squad Bright Lance weapons platform 210

Hold the line, generally refuse to die thanks to fortune and conceal.

5 Rangers 95

5 Rangers 95

Annoyance value and quarter claimers.

Fast Attack

2 Vypers, Starcannons, Crystal Targeting Matrices 190

I like CTM's, OK? ;) Expensive, but good for keeping weak vypers alive - especially if you play a "long game" and would prefer them alive at the end of the game.

2 Vypers (separate squadrons), Bright Lances, Crystal Targeting Matrices 190

OK, they're BS3. But they stand a chance of side armour shots. This can be a good thing.

Heavy Support

Wraithlord, Starcannon 120

An oldie, but a goodie ;). I prefer to gun down marines at speed...

Falcon, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Starcannon, Shuriken cannon, Holo-field, Spirit Stone

Expensive gunship of death. I just need to stop that damn pulse laser rolling 1's for everything :?

Total: 2495.

So far it has beaten marines in a messy game, and crushed IG when my luck went on to overdrive (Hellhound dead in turn 1. Yay!!!), leaving him to concede in turn 5.

(E.g. 13 hits from a basilisk on a unit of guardians. 9 wounds. After rerolls: 2 dead :twisted:)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Mc warhammer
Highborn

Post by Mc warhammer »

I would make the guardians 7 man and lose all the extra stuff on the council so they are just 2 fortunes and wichblades.

I would take 3 wrathlords.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

MC WARHAMMER wrote:I would make the guardians 7 man and lose all the extra stuff on the council so they are just 2 fortunes and wichblades.

I would take 3 wrathlords.

I like an army, sorry :lol:. (and I don't like giving too many easy kills to assault cannons)

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

i would put a unit of fire dragons in the falcon, to get points for this you can drop witchblades from some of the warlocks and maybe also one fortune farseer
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Falahk wrote:i would put a unit of fire dragons in the falcon,

I was tempted (I own a unit)...but on par they seemed like a one shot weapon. It was a toss-up between between fire dragons and wraithguard, and wraithguard (while expensive) seemed better suited to take on big guys, too.

Falahk wrote: to get points for this you can drop witchblades from some of the warlocks and maybe also one fortune farseer

That is something I wouldn't do. Fortune in intergral to my entire strategy - no one unit is an "easy" kill for my opponent. Gunline space marine armies just can't cope with conceal and fortune combined. The farseer with mind war might go, but I will have to see how he goes.

Today at a tournament I was up against a space marine army with four missile launchers, 1 lascannon, 4 (maybe 5) plasma cannons and two assault cannons (this was at 1.5k, of which this army is a scaled up version) and associated bolters. His firepower was completely crippled by my rerolls - I was killing his units much faster than he could kill mine.

And since the seer council is my main combat unit, I like to keep it reasonably tooled up for combat. It's great for counter-charging units that get tied up with the guardians, and carves its way through armies that threaten the guardians at long range (IG, primarily).

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lord de'nocturne
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord de'nocturne »

I've been building Eldar Tourny forces for a long time, and I have to say... yours is looking pretty good. Sounds like it's been working for you so far, so I'd have to say stick with it... I can just see a few things I'd do differently if it was my force. (Mine tend to stay in the 1,500 points range though)

----------------------
The Seer Council: These guys are hard to kill... like nearly impossable! Hence I tend to skimp on points and not worry so much about each Farseer being able to do everything. FS1 has Mindwar and Eldritch Storm... his job is to blast things good. FS2 has Guide, and FS3 has Fortune. (When I'm being cheap FS2 and FS3 will be the same guy) All have pistols wytchblades and RoWit's.

3 Warlocks are all that's needed for the command squad. Equiped the same as the Seer's minus the RoWit of course. All three have Augment, to insure everything is always in range. ;) Spare Warlocks can be sent to my Guardian Squads, I tend to always give them Conceal, just to keep the squishyest bits of an Elder force alive for as long as possable.

My guardian squads always have Starcannons because it's the all around heavy weapon, which insures that my 20 guys always are killing something efficiantly.

At this point I will praise you for using the most feared "Sniper Viper" Brightlance + Vipers + CTM x3 units = Fun fun fun. They do all the vehicle sniping that any army could ever hope for. With enough points you could even make it 2 Vipers a squad... scary.

A pair of Walkers with dual Scattercannons can do wonders even to heavy troops... though they really mess up little 'nids and IG like there's no tomarrow.

One big unit of Reapers instead of a Wraithlord can do the work of three starcannons every turn at high range. Put them next to your Seer Council to recieve the blessing of Guide and watch your foe whimper with fear.

For the last piece of the puzzle I throw in some Striking Scorps with an Exarch with stealth. These guys can take care of even units of Space Marines as long as they get the charge, and still feel good enough for another round.

And finaly... having an Avatar around for shits and giggles just makes your Guardians even less appealing to try and take out early.
----------------------

Guardian fire, Scorps, and Walkers will make chunky bits out of anything light... and even do some nice damage to heavy stuff, while the rest of the ranged equipment can take out entire space marine units in single turns. My Reapers earned the title "One a Turn" from the guys at my Game-store, for literaly quartering a spacemarine army every turn.

The Seers will keep the rest of the troops at top fighting shape, and a dose of Fortune every turn insures that they will NEVER die. Mind War anything you can reach... and especily if it's a 'nid Hive Node.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortune Favors the Brave

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

At 1500pts, the army looks like this:

HQ.

Seer council.
Warlock Enhance, Witch blade, shuriken pistol
Warlock Embolden, Witch blade, Shuriken pistol

Warlock Conceal, ccw, Shuriken pistol (Defender squad)
Warlock Conceal, ccw, Shuriken pistol (Defender squad)

Avatar of the Bloody-handed God 80

Troops

14 Black Guardians, Defender Squad, Starcannon weapons platform 162

14 Black Guardians, Defender Squad Bright Lance weapons platform 162

5 Rangers 95

4 Rangers 95

Fast Attack

2 Vypers, Starcannons, 130

2 Vypers (separate squadrons), Bright Lances, 130
Heavy Support

This is what I use for more normal games and tournaments. The same basic plan is there, and tends to score highly.

Today at a tournament it has scored one major victory (after a bit of research I found that guy was best general at a GT a few years back :shock:) over alpha legion and one minor victory over gunline space marines (lots of plasma cannons and missile launchers).

It was only a minor victory due to the fact his hugely expensive command squad spent most of the game hiding ;).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... arines.jpg

Said command squad only came out when my avatar attempted to finish off that dread (who managed to down that wraithlord in combat). The avatar isn't that hot vs a chaplain with lightning claws, another set of lightning claws and a power fist...(+attacks) with furious charge.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lord de'nocturne
Trainee Warrior

Way to go my fellow Space-Elf brother!

Aside from a few $5 tournies that end up being held at my local gaming store I don't get out much for the big matches. I can proudly boast a perfect record against those damnedable Tau though ;) Eldar are supposed to be the army with the coolest shooty-bitz durnit.

With the exception of a Sisters of Battle, chick at our local store I do rather well. She's not only a briliant player, but she has the devil's luck when it comes to rolling dice. I've yet to beat her... and I can say it's not only because of her tactics. Have you ever seen bright lances bounce off a rhino tank 9 times out of 10? I have. :roll:
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortune Favors the Brave

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I have rubber bright lances, I know all about that sort of thing...

Today saw me draw against an iron warriors army (two predators, one basilisk, one vindicator and 3 x 2 obliterators :?) and crush some Imperial Space Marines.

In the last game my wraithlords didn't fail a cover save until turn 6 :lol:.

I finished somewhere in the top 5 (apparently only a few points between 2nd place and a handful of guys behind him).

The 2nd place player was that imperial gunline I beat :shock:. (probably down to painting scores)

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lord de'nocturne
Trainee Warrior

Good work :D

Rubber Bright Lances aside... as long as the Sisters don't show I can usualy take top marks on the battlefield alone, at least durring our little home grown tournies. Then again... most, but certinly not all my opponents are kids with freshly painted forces.

Is it wrong to enjoy smacking around some kid's army? :lol: Cause I know I love it... especily when they're those bloody 'nids!
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortune Favors the Brave