The Destroyers of Innocence - *updated* First Unit Complete!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

The Destroyers of Innocence - *updated* First Unit Complete!

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Below is a link to a photo of a Daemonette I've painted to try out my colour scheme for the Slaanesh Daemon Legion I'm doing.

I was just going to replicate the colour scheme from The Black Sun (my CoS for those who dont know), but figured Id go for something different. Im really happy with how its come out, the colours work really well together IMO.

Also, the Snow (Woodland Scenics "snow") I used on The Black Sun looks good, but takes alot of layers to get a decent coverage, so here I mixed this with some Skull White and PVA glue into a paste, and applied it in one layer...and it looks really cool (it blends into the paper a bit in this photo).

I realise the photo isnt the best quality, didnt use very good lighting. Also you must realise I am a gaming painter, so this isnt meant to look outstanding, its just a rank and file model...but, comments please :)

Enough talk...the photo...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ence/1.jpg
Last edited by Xizor on Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

I think that the colors do work well together, Xizor. I have a couple of pieces of constructive feedback, though:

First, I think you can achieve a significant degree of improvement in the appearance of the figure just by doing a quick wash to bring out more of the details. After the wash, lightly drybrushing the same pink, green and flesh over the raised areas will really make a difference. too. I guess I'm trying to say that with two relatively easy steps, I think you can greatly improve the appearance.

Second thing that you might try, is to do a wet-blend of the flesh to the green. Just a small transitional area will make the green parts look much more natural.

Lastly, while the basing is very well done, I think that snow may not be the best theme for a predominantly light figure like this. It always seems to me that by contrasting tones between the base and the model you really get the models to jump out at you better. I would suggest just doing the straight black base , or to reduce the amount of snow, maybe just putting a few small patches. I don't know - maybe try out a model or two with reduced snow, or no snow and see if you think I'm right.

Still, this is a very neat paint job, which I really believe is 90% of producing a good looking tabletop army. Personally, I'm also a big, big fan of the black-lining that you have along the borders between colors, which is a technique that I have a great deal of trouble producing on my own minis. And it may be that you are predominantly in the hobby to game, and not so much for the artistic aspect, so maybe these pointers of mine address gains in appearance that you simply don't feel motivated to pursue, which is cool.

I'd be glad to see more of your models. You really get the full effect of a painting scheme when you see full units ranked up side by side in it.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

It's a really good scheme and you've painted it well. However I'm in the same boat as Icon Hack and think that the model would be great improved if there was a bit more definition. Apart from that the model is fine and those baes are awesone.
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Cal: Thanks man, Im very pleased with how the colour scheme worked, I also hugely pleased with the basing. As for definition, i get what you mean , though in the photo the leg and cloth kinda blend due to the angle - these are actually very seperate on the model.

Icon Hack: Firstly, thanks for the lengthy reply and glad you like the scheme :)
A couple of glazes on the model may work rather well in bringing outsome detail, however I do want the models to look very "pastelly" (ie pastel colours) and glazes/washes could compromise this.
The wet blend is something that would look really good, but something im not too hot on, it would also add time onto the overall paint job, and Id like to get this army together quickly, having it look good overall as an army is much more important to me.
I must say however, that I do disagree with you on your basing point, I think the snow actually works quite well, and will be staying with it :)
The black lining is something new to me, I only did it at the end, as there wasnt much definition between the skin and the cloth where they touched - i think it looks pretty sweet. It was relatively easy to accomplish I found also.
Thankyou so much for all your extremely valid comments, but i will continue as I have for atleast the first unit, if I then feel there is "soemthing missing" I can refer back to your ideas above...the glazing is something I am very tempted by, the wet blend is something I could screw up horribly!!!

I hope to paint 5 more today so we can see what a rank looks like...though, work on sticknig my Keeper of Secrets together could get in the wa...

Thanks again

Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

I dont like it. The teal and fleshtone just dont go together in my opinion. I dont know what to tell you to improve it, other than follow Icon Hacks advice.

I like the metal, but it could use some purple in the mix. Maybe a showing line of Warlock Purple around the cloth?

I just dont like the teal, so thats my 2 cents.

--SD--
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Sexy Druchii: That is indeed a shame you dont like it, but you cant please everyone I guess...

I have finished another 5, so I know have a completed rank - I will finish basing them and post a pic tomorrow morning.

I have also started work on my Keeper of Secrets, which is quite a complex conversion - but should make an impressive centerpeice :)
Hopefully Ill have some WIP pics of him at some point soon

I will be finishing him (and the rest of the army) after the GT this weekend.

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Sorry to double post...but

I have now got a whole rank done :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ence/2.jpg

Hopefully Ill get 6 more done tomorrow and my first unit will be complete :)

You can see a small part of my WIP Keeper of Secrets in the Background aswell - he's gonna own, with his General Grievous mask and 4 swords!

Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

looks pretty good to me, however as said a wash will improve them to even greater standards, keep up the good work.
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

beastmaster kurlan: Thanks man :)

Today I am msotly getting ready for the GT, but I am also working on the other 6 Daemonettes in the first unit...oh and i started my Keeper of Secrets conversion.
The extra Swords should turn up soon, but I probably wont get him fully converted untill after the GT. This really is the most involved conversion ive ever done, so many tricky pins needed - and ALOT of greenstuff...here is a WIP so far (all the GS so far is mainly behind...including have to resculpt the back of his left thigh!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ence/3.jpg

You probably cant appriciate how much works goes into making this model stand like that!!!

Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

I like the bases man, you did those awesome!

And yes, I can appreciate how much work it takes to do that.

And I dont know about you, but when I finally get down to making my own Keeper of Secrets, it will look something like this:

http://miniaturespace.net/images/40K/Ko ... 0Front.jpg

I think yours would ROCK without legs! Instead, a big, slithery tail... that would be so cool Xizor. Anyways, good job on the KoS so far, but I still dont like that teal lol. It still looks a bit off with all that pink and fleshtone background.

--SD--
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Well Sexy Druchii, I dont think you ever gonna like the teal lol! We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one I think buddy!

That KoS you posted a link to is absolutley amazing! But I will be sticking with the legged variety I think (mostly cos I couldnt achieve anything like that one)

The bases are something I am very pleased with, the mix I've come up with provides such a good coverage.

Im half way through the final 6 in the first unit :)

Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Looks like a good start on the daemon. Eagerly awaiting more pics.

I think the Daemonettes look good in a unit.

Are you only doing daemons in this army, or do you have some mortal or beast units, too? Like to see what your other stuff would look like
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Thanks Icon Hack :)

Its a Daemon Legion army, so nothing else Im afraid. Though to be honest Im not sure whether Mortal/Beasts would look so good in such a pastelly colour scheme anyway...

Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Probably a bit late but I really like the scheme, however if it was me (which it isn't :p) I'd do two things:

1) Take the flesh to a lighter level, up to Bleached Bone.
2) Then make the 'snow' a dark red (Crimson Gore).

Personal preference of couse, but I really think this would make them look better.

Sexy Druchii - Love that KoS.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Amarel: The skin is already a lighter colour than bleached bone (elf flesh + alot of skull white for final highlight). Why would you paint the "snow" that colour? What would the effect be? Glad you like the scheme though :)

Ok, well I've broken the links to the other two photos, as they are a bit pointless now i have finished the unit. Im really happy with the overall look, and the skin isnt as flat as some of it looks in the photo.

If anyone cares, the symbol on the banner is "The Black Sun", the logo of my Cult of Slaanesh...though the colour scheme differs, there will be a fluff link...anyway, the photo:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ettes1.jpg

Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

The unit looks excellent Xizor. You got the pastel theme down pat. I'd like to see some better quality photos if you get the chance.

So what else is going to be in the list? Several units of Daemonettes? Are you going to differentiate the units somehow (some kind of unit insignia)? Have you started converting any Pleasureseekers? Any mounted Daemonettes done yet?
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Icon Hack: Thanks for the reply :) and Im very glad you like them, they do work as a gaming unit dont they? As for better quality photos, I will try. My camera is good quality, but I have big problems with lighting properly, and I need a camera stand...shaking hands dont help!

You can find the list here. Nothing else is painted yet, but I will crack on next week (after GT)

Keep watching though :)