Highborn and Morathi Conversions

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Centuryslayer
Slave on the Altar

Highborn and Morathi Conversions

Post by Centuryslayer »

Hi everyone, this being my first post here I thought I would show some of the conversions I recently finished. The first is my highborn on cold one. He is made from a cold one knight, the witch king's cloak, malus' helmet and sword, and an older metal cold one. Anyways, here he is (pics are a bit large):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/J ... /lord1.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/J ... /lord2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/J ... /lord3.jpg

He isn't glued onto the cold one yet, he will be seated leaning slightly forward when I do the final attachment.

As well, here is my Morathi on foot conversion, made from morathi, the mounted sorceresses legs, and green stuff:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/J ... rathi1.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/J ... rathi2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/J ... rathi3.jpg

Well, I hope you like them, any feedback you can give me would be great, thanks!
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

The Morathis shoulders, should that be fur?

One difficult thing with Elves is, that the modelling and painting needs to be very neat, smooth. Filthy races such as rates or humans (no offense!) can tolerate more ugliness and quicker modelling and painting job. Anyways. We all have problems to make the job clean and neat.

Try to use more water when you finish the surface of greenstuff. Some people even use oil (I never do).

Your work presented is very promissing and we tend to be better and better in things we do repeatedly. Sculpt more of it!
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi CenturySlayer.
I must say that I see here two very good conversions, very good ideas and a good choosing of parts and bits. Only thing I don´t like is your greenstuff work, but I must say that my own pretensions in these things are very high. I think these two minis could be very nice showcase minis if a good sculpt and paint job, will be done. Work on your skills and go on making such nice minis. Your ideas are brilliant!

Regards GeOrc
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

I especially like the Highborn conversion - what did you use for his helmet, it does not look like a normal knight´s helmet to me and still looks quite awesome.

Cenyu
Elethis
Corsair

Post by Elethis »

Nice and original! I particulary like the highborn, with what to me seems like a sculpted eye inside the helmet :D . Very nice detailing!
As for Morathi I think the conversion is quite nice, although the fur-thing on her shoulders seemsaa little odd..
Slay the Cultists, conquer the Asur, and give praise to Khaine!
Barthas
Executioner

Post by Barthas »

Nice minis, especialy the highborn's helmet. Is it Malus' Helmet which he has hanged on his belt? I wonder how did you get this out of there!
Your Greenstuff skills aren't so bad(surely better than my own), the most I like Morathis cloak, great shape.
The path of a righteous man is beset on all sides by the inquities of the selfish, and the tyrany of evil men.
Rakhaine blackheart
Dark Rider
Location: I'm in your mind controling every thought, sound, and movement that you make!

Post by Rakhaine blackheart »

Kool!!! But the third pic of Morahti is a bit out of focus.
Forecast for tomorrow, slightly cloudy with a chance of doom!!!!!!!!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Pretty nice, especially the Highborn conversion.

A tip for texturing fur modelled from green stuff:

It looks like you just jabbed the greenstuff repeatedly with the tip of a pin. What you should do is jab in the tip of the pin (or dental pick or modelling tool) and then pull the pin down towards the edge of the "fur" area as you pull it out. This will have the effect of making the texture look more like hair that flows in a particular direction. Start at the bottom of the area you want to texture and work your way up. It's really very easy and quick when you get the motion down.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Centuryslayer
Slave on the Altar

Post by Centuryslayer »

Thanks for the comments everyone!

The fur on Morathi's shoulders seems to be getting the most mention as what needs to be improved. Being my first attempt at fur I think it's all right, but could definitely be better. I may chop it away and use some of Dyvim's techniques. I used the fur look as I am doing an army from Ghrond, with everyone on snow bases. I wanted to add a bit of a Norse feel to the army, with some fur and big cloaks (yes, she is half naked anyways, but at least her shoulders are warm!).

Barthas: yes, that's the helm on malus' belt. It's actually not that hard to get it off him, it only requires one cut (though it is a big cut). You don't have a lot of malus left afterwards. After that the back of the helm just needs to be built out a bit with greenstuff and you are good to go.

Anyways, thanks for the feedbak, I will try to get painted pics up eventually (Morathi is next in line, I got a BSB on the go right now).
Onyxheart
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Onyxheart »

Nice work on the conversions. As for myself I am a bit more conservative. I recently put together morathi, but instead of using the normal dark pegasus head I bogarted my friends spare wild rider horse head. I pinned a spike to its snout on top of the armor there. It looks a bit more sinister than the normal dark pegasus so I am pleased.

p.s. I am damn impressed that you can take that helm off in one cut and get it to look that neat. Again nice conversions man.
Why put something off till tomorrow when you can put it off till the day after tomorrow. Remember as a Dark Elf you have a lot of time on your hands.
Sic grim reaper
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sic grim reaper »

my higborn on a cold one is fairly simply converted...ish. my friend has collected fantasy since 5th edition and he still has a few of the older white drawfs around and while i was flicking through them i found a dark elf generals body and legs. all i did was order the body and cut a CoK in half and stuck the body on it as the generals legs were desinged for being on foot. and with the help of some green stuff its been designed to look like it all fits prefectly and equiped with blood armour. ive replaced one of his arms with a warriors spear, cut the head of and replaced it with a halberd head from a black gaurd model to give him the crimson death. to mix and match some magic items (as it totals over 100pts) ive also given his helm the style of the deathmask to remove pesky units of night runners screening things like storm vermin so i can charge them instead and instill more panic and terror. also ive simply given him a CoK sheild.
dont fear the reaper. fear his dark elf army.
Malgnus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Malgnus »

Great green stuff! Your cape looks really good. I am not a fan of the old coldone, but I like the rider you have.

Malgnus
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I think they are good conversions. I for one love the old cold ones, they look more reptilian and less like alligators.

Fr0