New Glade/dark Riders

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

New Glade/dark Riders

Post by Lordsaradain »

I bought and assembled some glade riders yesterday. As I am an Druchii player I converted them into Dark Riders by giving them rxB's and The plastic DE warrior heads. I just love the new elven horses, dont you guys? For some strange and great reason, I did not get 8 horses in my box, I got 11 of 'em! (this cant be normal,getting three extra can it?)
Anyone else planning to use GR as DR?
What do you guys think of the new WE's?
I think they are pretty great though they have way to many options of magical eqipment, wood elf families sprites etc. Its unfair! Dark elf sorceresses should also have acces to sprites, if not all druchii characters, dont you think?
And I'd love upgrading my noble to being a member of the black guard, shade or executioner 'family'.
The teams who took the longest time to be released obviously got the best army books, GW inventing new stuff all the time.
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Half of your post doesn't belong in this forum, so I'll only comment the first part. I too have thought of ways to convert these new Glade Riders into Dark Riders, what I came up with is to take GR legs, DE warrior torsos, and hooded Glade Guard heads. Add in GR cloaks and rxb arms or spear arms from DE warriors.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Bauglir
Beastmaster

Post by Bauglir »

lucky you for getting 11 out of 8 horses. also good idea to convert the glade riders, would like to see some pictures.
regarding the bottom half of your post: it might be nice to have sprites for sorceresses or to upgrade your nobles to some druchii bloodlines, but every army has its own specific flair and special traits. the high elves have their special virtues (i know that's the wrong word, but i don't know the right one just now; you know what i mean), the woodies have their sprites (fantas and cokes as well one might think) and kinlines or whatever, and we have the temple of khaine stuff. would be boring to have three elven armies in the game and their special rules being just an exact copy of the other elven army.

sorry for the rant, back to topic: show pics of converted (and painted?) glade riders
Malekith and Morathi meet Jerry Springer: read the complete saga here
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=37639

My Gallery: http://photobucket.com/albums/a18/senna ... warhammer/
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

When I made my DR's I used standard Elven Horses (and I think I'm one of only a few that still prefer the look of those ones :)) Silver Helm legs and bodies and Dark Elf arms (with lance) and heads. They look just dandy so I can't see how it wouldn't work well with new WE models instead of HE.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Half-drow
Corsair

Post by Half-drow »

Just finished converting some Glade riders into Dark riders( first big converting project).
A few thoughts about it.

New horses seem to be more propotionally-built then ones coming with dark riders. If the (would-be) plastic DRs will go along the same lines -- I'd be glad.

Kit includes many little bonuses like a few sheathed daggers and two left-handed swords. Always handy.

I have ran out of DE warriors bodies, so I had to use GR's ones. And here come the unpleasant part. DE heads require a good bit of cutting and filing to fit with WE body -- the WE's necks end in flat.

Few bodies come with rigidly melted in hands, holding ready to shoot bows. You can do something to hand holding bow (I made a pistol-handle RXB), but one pulling string has to be covered with something. I used greenstuff- made cloaks.

All cloaks have built-in arrow quivers. With arrows longer then whole RXB they look completely out of place. Diguising them as sword sheath or crossbow holster is easy. Carefull removing of arrowbutts around spear -- more complicated.

As a bottom-line -- with some elbow-grease you gain a very characterfull unit. If you do not field DRs in hundreds -- it worth trying.
Drakhan
Noble

Post by Drakhan »

I use em already lost three of their heads so hopefuly I can find them dosent really mater though as I'll be buying another box for conversions and I dont nead the horses
Drakhan who was once Shaadan who was once Drow sorcerer who was once Tangas who was once Drow Sorcerer.

Damn you SAU!
Sv_harlequin
Assassin

Post by Sv_harlequin »

I still use the regular Elven Steeds. Glade Guard Legs and Head. DE Warrior Torso and Arms.
Last edited by Sv_harlequin on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right.
The_nightlord
Black Guard

Post by The_nightlord »

I will buy some warriors and GR tommorow, i will probaly go with SV_Harlequin and Damnation's ideas for the riders here.
And i love the new Elven steeds, they have much more movement than the former ones.
Besamin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Besamin »

hi there

anyone finished a unit of gr yet?
wanna see some pics!!! i ordered a box as well so im looking forward to the conversion work.
anyone got more tips and hints for a conversion nooby? (thats me)
call me gosu
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I think the key to a successful conversion of this type is to make sure that the finished product doesn't end up looking like DE riding WE horses painted black.

For my unit, I took a browse through the DE Armybook and found some inspiration for what I hope will result in steeds that look like dark steeds and not just wood elf horses in black.

There's my 2c

....and remember, if it takes a little longer to make something you'll like better....do it. You'll have the finished product to enjoy forever. :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Fea keme
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fea keme »

That's one popular idea, I must say! Bought GR yesterday and was playing with plastic holder.

One can take a GR swap the hand for the DE warriors' hands with crossbow and let the rider lie on the neck of the horse, like he's aiming.
Or - the right arm of an arrow rider could be positioned so, that it looks like he's taking a sword out of the sheath, that U make by some cutting around quiver. Left may be left with a repeater or a spear.

Basicelly, I see two types of Riders - spear and x-bow. For x-bow U just take repeaters from DE warriors set and attach to DE or GR torso. WE spears are just fine.

Btw, I like GR' heads, so plan to use them.

The only problem is that horses better be decorated with some evil things, like hooks or horns.
7th ed record:
2-0-0
Besamin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Besamin »

so...
finally the box arrived. on the first view:
wicked modells, especially the heads. (i have 4 kinds of haircolours in my colour theme, so i like em cause of their hairs instead of standard DE helms)
What i did was simply attached my old DE warriors Torsos to the woody legs. looks little bit strange but i wanted the typical De armor-look. i considered to use my de warr´s arms and spears as well, so that it fits together. im quite sure nobody will recognize that their torsos are litlle bit different then their legs.

further on i cutted the spears off of the we robes (or mantles? sorry bout my english :oops: ) and the arrows of the holster. then i cutted some normal rxbs and clued it on the arrow holster so that it looks like the xbows stickin in the arrowholster. finally the heads: i filled the gap in de warrs torsos with some green stuf to make it flat and just attached the woody heads.

horses: no idea how to make them look more evil. imo spikes are a sign of chaos and a little bit to evil for de, especially for their horses. i mean normal horses with demon like spikes? no way! i want dark riders no doomriders :?

i hope i can take some pics next week (or the week after next week. friggin university) and upload em.

may the force be with u
call me gosu
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Im still looking forward to seeing plastic GR done totally as DR.
As some of you may remember I used the DR models riding new Wood Elf steeds to pretty good effect (IMO). If anyone didnt see them, heres the link:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b328/the_ ... Heartless/

Have fun!
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Xizor wrote:Hey,

Im still looking forward to seeing plastic GR done totally as DR.

Patience, young Jedi!

My conversions are done and I'm starting painting tonite.....
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Malachi
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Malachi »

@ Lion, I agree with your words on making them look the part. I am concerned that there will be an influx of horse and body swapped 'dark riders' showing up everywhere.....most of which won't have th thought put into the conversion.

However, I would like to start seeing some more pics of peoples work on this, so I can eat my words.....I am still unconvinced with the notion as it stands.

Cheers,

Malachi
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Lion of Flanders wrote:
Patience, young Jedi!

My conversions are done and I'm starting painting tonite.....

lol :)

I look forward to it man
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Dargor
Dark Rider

Post by Dargor »

Malachi wrote:@ Lion, I agree with your words on making them look the part. I am concerned that there will be an influx of horse and body swapped 'dark riders' showing up everywhere.....most of which won't have th thought put into the conversion.

And why does this bother you? The way I see it, you get cheaper and arguably better-looking Dark Riders that are both interesting, personal and completely WYSIWYG-compliant to boot. What can possibly be wrong with that?
I still hate signatures
Pirateking
Shade

Post by Pirateking »

Heyo,

Dargor wrote:
Malachi wrote:@ Lion, I agree with your words on making them look the part. I am concerned that there will be an influx of horse and body swapped 'dark riders' showing up everywhere.....most of which won't have th thought put into the conversion.

And why does this bother you? The way I see it, you get cheaper and arguably better-looking Dark Riders that are both interesting, personal and completely WYSIWYG-compliant to boot. What can possibly be wrong with that?

I'm going to have to agree with Dargor here. I see no difference in everyone having Glade Rider converted Dark Riders that all look similar, versus everyone having actual Dark Riders that all look similar :) Same thing, except one is much cheaper and paves the way for someone to really get a unique look if they want to put the time in to their conversion.

Jeff
All will die...if I die...