The Destroyers of Innocence - UPDATED 18/11 FINISHED!!!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Malius
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malius »

As always Xizor, your converting and painting is impressive. Well done :D Looking forward to seeing the painted chariot and herald.

regards

Matt
Archdukechocula wrote:In fact I think the problem is that there should be a better term for jerky WAAC people, such as Win Avoiding Normal Kindness, Especially Respect (A " WANKER " if you will).

now thats funny :P
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Malius: Thanks alot buddy :)

The painted models will probably be up tomorrow at somepoint,as I still need to paint the crewman for the Chariot.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Well as promised here are some photos of my first Herald and Chariot. Im really pleased with how both peices (especially the Herald) have turned out.

Kadaj - Daemonic Herald
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... erald1.jpg

Kadaj - Daemonic Herald (Parrallel Bladed Sword inspired by FFVII: AC)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... erald2.jpg

Kadaj - Daemonic Herald in Chariot
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ariot1.jpg

Chariot of Slaanesh
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ariot1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ariot2.jpg

Chariot of Slaanesh (Close up of Crewman)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ariot3.jpg

Let me know what you think

Chris

Malius

Post by Malius »

they all look pretty swish as per usual :P but the only slight quibble i might have is with the extremely pronounced black outlining on the models- that is to say unless its meant to be there, in which case i'll retract that comment :D

regards

Matt
Archdukechocula wrote:In fact I think the problem is that there should be a better term for jerky WAAC people, such as Win Avoiding Normal Kindness, Especially Respect (A " WANKER " if you will).

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

The blacklining is intentional. Its a new technique I've been using on this army...I like the effect.

Thanks for the comments.

Chris

Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

Good work Chris, while I would like to see some more highlights on them because at the moment they look a bit flat (though it may well be the pics) the models are still very well converted and painted.

Cal
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Cal: Thanks man. There is a minimum of 3 Highlights on the Skin, Daemonic bits (the green) and the Cloth. They are not flat, but are certainly not as highlighted as possible, still im happy with the effect. Photos are dodgy as usual. My lighting sucks!

Lloyba
Noble

Post by Lloyba »

nice to see those sculptings worked out xizor, now they look very good imho.

as cal said, they do look a bit flat, but that could be the lighting and the overall tone of your colours. as every color you used is quite light, it doesn't allow as much contrast as a darker colour would give.

anyway, great models :D
Malius

Post by Malius »

The blacklining is intentional. Its a new technique I've been using on this army...I like the effect.

in which case i take back the comment :D

keep up the good work

matt

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

the_kives: Yeah man, Im pleased it turned out so well (IMO). I admit the overall tone is very pale, which is actually what I went for with the pastel shades. As I've said loads and loads throughout the thread, the models arent as flat as they look...bad lighting...blah blah blah - your probably sick of hearing me say it lol! I suppose I should sort out my photos!

Malius: Well if you think its an issue/a bad thing, please dont take it back :) Just explain why. Thanks man

Keep it all coming

Chris

Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Wow.. Chris, the herald is sexy for sure! I love how you gave the Daemonette a baby tee. :D Exceptional work on the chariots! I hope my DL will look good tood! :P

Fr0
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

great compliment/flow of the changes you placed on the models. I have to say it looks as though they were almost molded like that instead of green-stuffed ;)

Nice work :)
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Fr0: As always, thanks man :) I was really pleased with the Herald as it turned out well, and its pretty unique...I think. I have only done one Chariot so far, should get work done on the second one next week. Which DL are you doing?

dictator: Thanks, thats possibly the best compliment you could really give :)

Hopefully, Ill get 6 Daemonettes done tomorrow...I really have been slack this week.

Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Looks great, man. I tried to link to the pics last night, but the net was slow and my box kept hanging up.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the silver and gold together. Too much shiny stuff for me - it draws my attention away from the rest of the models. Sort of seems to clash with the pastel theme, if you ask me. Sorry - the paint job is excellent, just being honest about the colors, though.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Icon Hack: Thanks man :) Thats cool 'bout the metallics, though I must say I havent heard similar comment before. Are you refering to the army in general or anything specific? What would remedy (if anything) this? Cheers dude.

I managed to get 6 Daemonettes done last night :)

Chris

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Damn I've been slack!

Finally though, I have managed to get some more done to this army:

Daemonettes
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... ettes2.jpg

Now I just have 6 Mounted Daemonettes and a Herald (BSB) on Chariot to convert and do...

Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

Xizor: nice work on the deamonettes, there i do like them...alot. and good luck with the rest of the daemonettes and the herald on chariot.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Voodoomaster: Thanks man, and with my current lack of time to paint, I think I'm gonna need that "good luck".

I am cleaning and sticking together the MD's as we speak.

Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Hey Chris,
That army is looking brilliant, can't wait till I see it in the flesh! I especially love both the keeper and the Drycha herald. keep up the good work.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey Ant,

Thanks man, I'm actually rather pleased with how it is all turning out. Are we gonna have a game up in Warhammer World before the Finals?

Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Oh yes.

Perhaps I'd better rename my general Obi Wan. He rode a giant lizard in the film didn't he? Or is that being a little overconfident? ;)

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Excellent.

Yes, there has been several talks in the shop of Warrior Priests with the Speculum going by the name Obi-Wan appearing!

Incidently, in a one on one fight between our two general's, who do you think has the upper hand. I know that a bit of a silly "theoryhammer" esque question...but still!

Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Yours, no contest.

I'm hitting you on 5s, you're hitting me on 3s. And your going 1st in the 2nd round, when my lord goes down to S5 (usually made up for by going 1st...). Plus you only have to kill the dragon and I'm off. And you have a ward save. The keeper is dead hard. Easily the best greater deamon IMO.

Anyway, what's that got to do with how good you are at painting?! :D

Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Xizor wrote:Hey,

Icon Hack: Thanks man :) Thats cool 'bout the metallics, though I must say I havent heard similar comment before. Are you refering to the army in general or anything specific? What would remedy (if anything) this? Cheers dude.

I managed to get 6 Daemonettes done last night :)

Chris

I was thinking of the chariot, in particular. I would try doing it in mostly black, to make the Steeds and crewmen really stand out against the dark background. As it is, the silver and gold really seems to dominate the piece. I would then try drybrushing just a little gold over some very select parts of the chariot, like the snakes and leave the pink Slaneesh symbol against the black backround.

You might consider doing something similar with everyone's weapons (black, then drybrushed with Boltgun) though you would have to go back over your whole army at this point, which is probably not too terribly appealing to you.

I must say, you've really done a very good job in very short order. It would have taken me three months to paint this many units!
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Ant: Yeah, I thought that'd be the case ;)

Icon Hack: I actually do quite like your ideas here...though as you've said, going back over the army, is pretty much a big no-no atm, what with the ammount of stuff I want to paint vs time. I guess Im still getting alot done in comparisson to other people. But up untill 4 weeks ago, I hadnt been working for 6 months, so I was getting loads done, so its a little frustrating!