Why don't Druchii have Lord model?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

H.e.k.
Beastmaster

Why don't Druchii have Lord model?

Post by H.e.k. »

Earlier today I was browsing around on the shopping list for the Games Workshop, and decided to just take a look at lord choices. Now I know you may call me an idiot, but after looking through each races lord choices in Warhammer Fantasy, it truly struck me for the first time that the druchii are the only ones that don't have a lord as in a Highborn. Now I know there's beastmaster, assassin(though doesn't exactly count) and sorceress but other races have something similar to those, as well as a commander, like a Templar Master for Empire or Warboss for Orcs and so on and so forth, yet when I look at druchii, there's nothing, zilch.

Now I am fully aware you can easily say a command unit of an executioner regiment or black guard regiment or something of the sort could be used as a Highborn, just make them unique through piecing them with unique pieces or painting them differently so they stand out.

My question is simply this: Why don't the druchii have a Highborn model?
Dearchon
Highborn

Post by Dearchon »

because we're still waiting for one :D, tho the good about it is that it forces people to be more creative and actually convert a noble/highborn, although alot of people will just use a unit champion, namely executioner, BG or corsair many people will convert a model especialy to be WYSIWYG, i know i used one of the corsair champions (the pointing one) for a long time while i figured how i wanted to do my conversion
+++Oversized Signature Purged+++
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

We have two highborn models in the form of Malus and Malekith, and we also have the old archive Dark Elf General model. To be honest, we really don't need more than that. If you're playing Druchii in the first place, then the models are more likely what caught your eye rather than the army stats and rules. Most new players don't go for Druchii because they don't understand the concept of winning in the movement phase and as a result they appear like an underpowered army. Anyway, the point of me saying that is thus; if you are playing Druchii, having no general models is likely in equal parts a boon as it is a shortcoming. Converting your own general and making him unique (or just taking a unit champion, all of which look great) is just another part of playing Dark Elves.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
H.e.k.
Beastmaster

Post by H.e.k. »

Don't get me wrong, I understand the intricacies of Dark Elf strength's and weaknesses, trust me, I didn't buy them cause they looked cool, I thought long and hard when I first started out with choice of armies in terms of tactics, and Dark Elves caught my eye immediately cause I knew they must be a very deceptive army when used correctly, I was simply curious as to why they don't have a lord model.
Limenix
Assassin

Post by Limenix »

I'm about to buy a Wood elf Highborn with great weapon and convert him to be my general on foot.I think many Druchii players will do this in the future unless a REAL Dark elf fig comes out any time soon.Has anybody heard anything from GW about this?
The Druchii way of the Warrior:

When you must RUN ..... FIGHT!!!
When you must FIGHT .... WOUND!!!
When you must WOUND .... CRIPPLE!!!
When you must CRIPPLE .... KILL!!!
Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Benji »

limenix wrote:I'm about to buy a Wood elf Highborn with great weapon and convert him to be my general on foot.I think many Druchii players will do this in the future unless a REAL Dark elf fig comes out any time soon.Has anybody heard anything from GW about this?

this is what i will be doing, theres not really much thats needs chopping off
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

I converted the Maleus mini with some help from a friend. Removed his helmet from his legg, GS some new mail there. Dremmeld out the face and added the helm. I also maid a very big sword with a drach and some spear bits and random Empire arms. Looks really cool.

Another nice noble convertion I did was even simpler´. I cut an executener mini in half and sitcked it to a coldone knight legs. Looks very nice IMO.

I'v also converted a charioteer with a Halberd as a noble on foot that looks ver nice and dynamic.

Then there is morethais upper body with BM legs that looks very nifty.

Might give you some inspiration.

Mostly simple and good looking stuff. The Maleus one will requier some work with tools and GS and might be abit harder for a new player/converter/painter.
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Cornixt
Cold One Knight

Post by Cornixt »

I think the Corsair champion models were intended to be used as characters, which is why there are a few different rather than just one.
Dearchon
Highborn

Post by Dearchon »

i've already done the conversion you're talking about, tho i've been told it wasnt very well done etc

http://photobucket.com/albums/a93/DEArchon/
+++Oversized Signature Purged+++
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

I was thinking of using that model as well when I start building my army up again.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

It is a shame we have no non-character nobels and highborns but it does force us to convert which i thought would be terrible till i made my first peaggie riding nobel
...Well thats the end of my post
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

The problem is that chris fitzpatrick, the maker of almost 100% of todays DE models, left GW(kinda still fuzzy why) and started his own business (age of aegyptus)

Great models but no one compares in talent to his capabilities with the DE models ;)

So that means we are just stuck making them out of other different models, which to me is a damn fine thing as the opportunities of conversion are endless!!! :)
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Philleehellphia
Assassin

Post by Philleehellphia »

Well, when we are compared to the other elven races, we got the short end of the stick. But when the Druchii Battalion comes out(if there will ever be one), I predict we are going to get some pretty dandy nobles and lords.
Edmonton Oilers Western Conference Champions 2006
Assassin

Post by Angel of algebra »

since we have waited so long, we should get the best models when, if ever, they arrive (as shown from the brettonian and woody ranges) and i am quite proud of my simple noble conversion, i'm glad i had to do it

AoAlgebra :lol:
Darmort
The Bane Of Gavin Thrope

Post by Darmort »

pmpn8ez wrote:We have two highborn models in the form of Malus and Malekith, and we also have the old archive Dark Elf General model. To be honest, we really don't need more than that. If you're playing Druchii in the first place, then the models are more likely what caught your eye rather than the army stats and rules. Most new players don't go for Druchii because they don't understand the concept of winning in the movement phase and as a result they appear like an underpowered army. Anyway, the point of me saying that is thus; if you are playing Druchii, having no general models is likely in equal parts a boon as it is a shortcoming. Converting your own general and making him unique (or just taking a unit champion, all of which look great) is just another part of playing Dark Elves.

Actually, when I started playing Dark Elves, it was because there was a 5th Edition Book on the shelves and a box of 8 Warriors. Back then I was young and did pick'n'mix buys, including some High Elves (two Commanders remain... in my Druchii force, and an Asur Mage makes a Dogs of War or Empire Life Magi Caster). Since then I've always been with the Dark Elves because of their fluff, although I admit the models are brilliant and the tactics it takes to play them more so.

As for the Generals, I have the Malus Darkblade Model, unadulterated.
Sometimes I use him, but most the time I don't. Why? Because I have the following Heros;

3 Sorceresses, 1 on foot, one on Cold One, one Converted from 5th Edition Sorcerer (now Sorceress).
5th Edition Black Guard Model with Shield added, green-stuff behind the spike to make a crest, green-stuffed cloak and Repeater Crossbow x 2, although similar variations reside.
5th Edition Corsair Model with Axe removed (below head) and replaced by a Shield. Repeater Crossbow added. My most used Noble.
5th Edition Corsair Model with the Axe removed (above head) and replaced with a Dark Elf Spearhead, and Repeater Crossbow, my second most used Noble.
5th Edition High Elf Hero with Spear (yep. Spear. In this case, Halberd), Shield, Heavy Armour and Cloak. Not a Sea Dragon Cloak... yet. I was once going to use him for a Warrior Captain.
5th Edition High Elf Hero with Sword above head and a Helmet of Antlers. Removed Antlers and all the jewels. Gave him a bland, 5th Edition Shield with something on it. Think there's a little more to him...

Other than that, I'm covered in the Heros section.
Also note one thing, only the Foot Sorceresses and Corsair Noble with Shield are Actually Painted. Not that well, I'm afraid...

Still, converting Heros is a more reknown part of the Druchii Army. Sure they don't have the statlines of Chaos Knights (that shouldn't be Core anyway), but they have one thing they don't; bueaty in the models, Fluff, and the chance to do some good ol' converting!

Now... I've got 11 Corsair Models to mess around with... all 5th Edition.... If I... :P
Back From Druchii Hiatus
Eternis
Shade

Post by Eternis »

We dont have them cuz GW are mean...
Means we have to convert (a nightmare for the inept ie me!)
A good general learns as much from their opponents defeat as their own victory.
A good druchii learns more from a High elf defeat than their own victory.
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

If you look at it high elves got a few new characters recently, I also heard that a high elf n oble box where you can convert your own character from all the bitz included. We have had a few limited edition models like malus on foot which is a very nice model.
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Elethis
Corsair

Post by Elethis »

I think it's sad we don't have any highborn or noble models. And it isn't because I don't convert (which I do alot), or that I think the champion models looks bad. It's just that, with say, three noble minis (two on foot, one mounted), there would be three more great minis to base convertions on.
Right now I run a old 5th-ed BG with converted axe and helmet as a noble (only got around 1k. Haven't needed any thing else), but with a noble mini I could do smaller and simpler conversion, such as a weapon swap. Or even faster, just take him right out of the blister and paint.
Therefor it is sad GW haven't made one...
Slay the Cultists, conquer the Asur, and give praise to Khaine!
Paul nettle
Cold One Knight

Post by Paul nettle »

The very first DE I bought were in a GW sale. It was a bunch of COK blisters (5thEd) for £1 each. I had two of the unit champion blisters, and 2 of the unit champion blisters, and they became my army general and BSB, and they have been ever since.

When (if) we get some 6th (7th?) Edition DE characters then I will buy some, but until then my unremarkable characters still roll the same amount of dice as any new models.