So Here are my Elves.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

So Here are my Elves.

Post by Slerac fellblade »

Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Baranthazul
Ewok of DOOM

Post by Baranthazul »

I love:
The dragon. Thats just beautiful.
The Chariot. Thats such a cool idea. Is that a stegadon helm?

Some painting tips: There are some places (like the reaper mini) where it seems you aren';t watering down your paints enough, then there are other minis (some of your spears?) where it seems like you're watering down to much. I just try to find a nice consistancy, don't follow the 50:50 rule, per say. Granted, I'm no great painter, but it works fo rme....
---Baran
Forum Moderator-Druchii Discussion
Skiing consists of wearing $3,000 worth of clothes, driving 200 miles in the snow just to stand around at a bar and drink.
Iraduur nightfrost
Noble

Post by Iraduur nightfrost »

Honestly, the models are not very well painted. There is much to improve.

Try to paint the models neatly and without the colours touching parts of the model, they should not. Some of the obvious details were not at all painted, like the string at the top of the Execs standard. Your metalls look quite flat. Either drybrush them or use different colours.
The dragon seems to be a step in the right direction, still it lacks shading or at least inking.
I think, though, that there is potential in your skill, so keep on painting.
Behold the might of the witchking!
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Well I want to thank anyone who posts for commenting. The head is a dragon head the spare you get from malekith. Now I have a friend who went to germany and told me that the level of painting he saw would make us cream ourselves so honestly thats like Steve Vai saying I suck at guitar. But honestly I don't have the best eyes in the world like honestly I am one step away from having to wear glasses my eyes are right on the cusp of terrible. My hands are also shakey for some reason.
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

I agree with Baranthazul on all accounts. The Dragon and Chariot look solid. And you do need to water down your paints a pit, it'll get rid of some of the textures on some of your models' skins.

And hey- my hands are shaky too (although my eyesight is alright). Are you drinking too much caffeine? Also, if you make a mistake, keep going, and just go over it when your done. That's how I always had to deal with my shakes.

Get used to using ink too. There's a lot of neat effects that you can get from using inks. A little ink work would make your models look excellent :)
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

How much is too much caffeine? At lunch and Dinner I generally have about 5 cups of soda generally coke or pepsi, I drink at least another 3-5 cans of soda in my room a day. I don't drink coffee I am a college student and I just can't drink that stuff I know it's amazing. The soda in my room most of the time is Mountain Dew or Jolt. So I guess 13-15 cups of soda a day. That too much?

Ohh yea every so often add to that a 2 liter or 2.
Mc nuggets
Warrior

Post by Mc nuggets »

Slerac Fellblade wrote:How much is too much caffeine? At lunch and Dinner I generally have about 5 cups of soda generally coke or pepsi, I drink at least another 3-5 cans of soda in my room a day. I don't drink coffee I am a college student and I just can't drink that stuff I know it's amazing. The soda in my room most of the time is Mountain Dew or Jolt. So I guess 13-15 cups of soda a day. That too much?

Did you count each jolt cola as four cokes because thats how much caffine is in them.

P.s that dragon is cool
I'm looking for a woman who likes long walks,
and doesn't mind bringing me chips back from them
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

No I didn't count the Jolt's as four.

Yea I still have to ink all the spineity things on the dragon and claws. That will make it look cooler. I wanted to green stuff innerds and hang them out the dragon's mouth and have the elf they belong to in two pieces on the base. Everything is always in a tranistional period.
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

Slerac Fellblade wrote:How much is too much caffeine? At lunch and Dinner I generally have about 5 cups of soda generally coke or pepsi, I drink at least another 3-5 cans of soda in my room a day. I don't drink coffee I am a college student and I just can't drink that stuff I know it's amazing. The soda in my room most of the time is Mountain Dew or Jolt. So I guess 13-15 cups of soda a day. That too much?

Ugh, so bad for you.

Granted, that was my college life too, but since I graduated (a few months ago), I've been switching to non-caffienated stuff (juice and all), and let me tell you, my painting has DRASTICALLY improved (as well as most other aspects of life- you should give it a shot ;) ).
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Osmiusvorn
Executioner

Post by Osmiusvorn »

Holy crap that is a hell of a lot of soda! Man that's what i drink in 2-4 weeks! And I also go too college. Or the swedish counterpart...
And I don't drink coffee either... So not much caffeine for me...

Seriously, you should try too cut down on the soda dude. Not just because of the caffeine but also because of the sugar.... You will get frikkin diabetes if you contuine with that much soda... Just a little health advise off topic....

So about the topic. I too really like the chariot and the dragon... Especially the dragon. Better to have a army decently painted than 1/4 of it nicely painted as it is in my case :)
Cervantes3773
Cold One Knight

Post by Cervantes3773 »

Let's see...

Drop the pop, pick up water... you'll feel much better and after you get off your caffeine dependency, you'll stop shaking so much.

I like the color scheme over all, the red looks good on our Evil Elves.

I like the bone and your sorceresses & co.

Your lordling with his shield up looks sweet, too.

Everything else looks pretty good.

Some advice:
What everyone else said, and...

Skip the gloss varnish, it detracts from the colors and is generally unflattering... if you must use, use it only sparingly and on the blades, shields, etc... to make them stick out more.

I'd've skipped the red fingernails on the sorceresses, I find them distracting, but that's just me.

Keep up the good work and show us some of your later stuff.
¡Viva la revolución!
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

I mostly use the gloss to seal up the metal stuff as to prevent people from chipping my models with their greasy oily skin. Because matte varnish only comes in a spray and for some reason all sprays cause the fire alarms to go off which makes the fire dept come and people nag and nag and nag. I also go to school up in the land of the Ice and Snow known as Oneonta and god conspires against me every day I try painting is cold so going outside to spray stuff bad. Plus elves should kinda be shiney they a shimmering non-horde. Also those foam trays they like scratch stuff up. Malekith I never use so he gets to sit on a shelf.
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

Man I had the problem with matt varnish as well, and the problem exists no more. The "Vallejo" matt varnish, but also satin varnish, are GREAT!!! and are not sprays. Get it and you will not be disappointed.
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Can these be bought at walmart? Oh wait what am I saying all things can be bought at walmart. how much are these varnishes at other stores.
Lyhne
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

Buy one of those refridgerators (spelling?) which can make cold water, suddenly you will stop drinking soda :P

I Have to admit that i dont like the chariot-dragon-thingy...

Cheers
Lyhne

(Yay, post number 200)
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
Sulam
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulam »

Ugh, so bad for you.

Granted, that was my college life too, but since I graduated (a few months ago), I've been switching to non-caffienated stuff (juice and all), and let me tell you, my painting has DRASTICALLY improved (as well as most other aspects of life- you should give it a shot ).

--Really? Wow never thought about that. I always use to drink water and sometims juices and stuff because t seemed healthier to me, but that it affects your paintingskills is new to me.

About the painting job. My overall impression is not positive, but it can be improved easily. Try to make your layers less thick so that details can be seen better. There's noting wrong with your scheme, bloody firts withevil elves :D.

Sulam
|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)

Army pics: www.bretonnia.i8.com/1darkelves.html
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

hmmmm...me likes!

They look pretty good...my favorite is the ridign executioner...is that your noble?

IMO the Sorcresses look a bit too shiny!....maybee its just the light of the camera though!
Reaper
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

That Horse noble may be dropped from the list.

Most likly it is the shot itself as the light source was directly overhead.

I did the dragon heads on the chariots as like an you know on like TV and Movies when the latin guy puts his arms out puffs out the chest as a way of like saying what you gonna do i'll cap ya essay. Well the dragon heads were like that for high elves you know since they are blue it pisses off the high elf player a bit because I depicted his color of dragon as a trophy on my chariots. By the way I am part hispanic but I am not thug life or whatever I just don't know what one calls it.

As for my health if it isn't caffeine it's alchohol. I love me my 1792 Bourbon Whiskey and my 7 year old Carribean Rum as well as my imported beers from europe/canada as well as Samuel Adams which is always a good decision. But why did this get onto my Health decisons. I eat good otherwise all balacing with that damnable pyramid.

I never like anything I paint either within a year everything will be in the drink to be stripped and repainted. I don't know I am getting lazier though. It's happened to my empire army twice so far in the three four years I have had that army. How it will happen is the scheme will irk me somehow and than brake fluid time.