WIP: My baby manticore

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Zeb
Noble

WIP: My baby manticore

Post by Zeb »

I'm going too do a lion/manticore theamed army, as I have been saying in a few of my posts. Here is the first pic on my "baby manticore" (I will use Dark Pegasi rules for it).

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/po ... 010027.jpg (a bit white, from the front)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/po ... 010030.jpg (A bit dark, from the back)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/po ... 010033.jpg (a dark from the front)

Thoughts are apriciated.
Last edited by Zeb on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Lloyba
Noble

Post by Lloyba »

looks quite good, i've had that same project going on for a while now though they'll be for my asrai. have you thought of adding a lion's pelt to it? it would make it considerably more manticore-like and would probably hide the original model better. also a longer tail would probably be more fluffy. otherwise it's looking good.

btw, what wings are those? dark peggie wings?
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

it seems rather small. how large is it?
But it looks very well. Where did you get the body of the lion?
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Jaycee
Assassin

Post by Jaycee »

I can't say that I really love this model. Its mediocre if not worse. Too simple imo. I can't really tell if it is mounted on a 40x40 mm base or a 50x50 mm base but it seems rather small.

To Ilkir I believe this model is from the Warmaster range. Correct me If I am wrong Zeb.

Is it possible that it is this model?
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=COMP029902416&orignav=13
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

JayCee. Were you being humerous? Its a Sabertusk from the OK range with DP wings.

What do I think of it? Not a huge ammount. The huge teeth look terrible, but certainly don't look like a manticore. A mane is just basic matey, it needs one. None of th giant gaps are filled, which makes it look like you can't be bothered and the position of the wings is gonna obscure any rider you put on it and make arranging his arms difficult.

I appreciate that you like the idea of a baby manticore, thats fine, but a sabertusk isn't the solution. You are gonna either going to want to buy a toy lion or a lion from another company and go from there. It looks like a winged sabertusk as it is...

Harsh critisms I am afraid, but fair I feel...

Ras
Pleased to be back
Angel of algebra
Assassin

Post by Angel of algebra »

I think it's quite nice, i reserve full judgement for when it's painted :)
It looks more like a Ogre Kingdoms Sabretusk with Dark Pegasus wings added to me...

AoAlgebra :lol:
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

@Lloyba: I will add a mane, and a longer tail when I find my GS, seems that my GS disapeared during my Cristmas travels!???

@Ilokir: it's on a 40*40 mm base.

@RasputinII: Your right it's a sabretusk from the OK range with DP wings. A mane and tail will be added when I get GS. I couldn't find it at home so... that means that there is a bit of GS work to be done. But it says WIP.
I have been looking for a toy lion, and haven't been able to find one I like (or fits the scale) and I don't like the Reaper lions... So this was my solution, sorry if you don't like it.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Lloyba
Noble

Post by Lloyba »

I appreciate that you like the idea of a baby manticore, thats fine, but a sabertusk isn't the solution. You are gonna either going to want to buy a toy lion or a lion from another company and go from there. It looks like a winged sabertusk as it is...

sorry, but i have to disagree here. the sabretusk is the only GW model that provides us with the suitably feline body that is imho needed for a young manticore. i agree that the tusks are a bit out of place they can be quite easily removed and some new teeth can be added. the mane is also quite easy to sculpt to look "decent" but as said without it it doesn't really fit the bill of a manticore. a tail is also quite easy to add and the wings can be positioned so that the rider can fit.

but i'm not saying it's a simple conversion that you can just achieve with part swappings. my sculpting skills have increased considerably while i've been on my own young manticore project and i still have the wings to sculpt and i need to get the pose right.

As said, the sabretusk body has potential but it needs some serious rework for it to look properly manticoreish.

Just my opinion
Jaycee
Assassin

Post by Jaycee »

Hahah ok I got owned. I really couldn't see it was the sabretusk. To my defense there is too much light ;). I still think the sabretusk model sucks.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Love it.

That's the old school Manticore I almost won on eBay. It's cool as hell, but I'm preferring the new one now.

I wanna see that puppy painted boy! :D

Personally my favorite is Dieter's Manticore.

Fr0
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

Zeb: If you convert him to be standing on his hind leggs it will look more like the manti and like it's jumpin into the air. I think that, the mane and tail will make it look alot more like the big boy :)

It looks cool now, but need some minor tweeking...
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Malificant
Highborn

Post by Malificant »

try out using the celestial lion from the reaper warlord range.
http://reapermini.com/gallery/crusadersu/14133_G
Lethalis wrote:Large units in general are not very advisable for Elves in general. Generally, a general knows that Elves in general are generally weak and have low armour to sport, and Executioners follow this general trend.
Chacotic
Corsair

Post by Chacotic »

Looks good.
Post it again when u have painted it.
Hail Druchii, the cruel
Hail Asur, the noble

Hail Khorne, the GREAT LORD OF SKULLS!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!!!
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

IMO it is a nice conversion so far....complete the miniature and keep us up to date with further pics!

Greetz
Reaper