1000 point Chaos Vs Dwarf report

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Spiky
Slave (off the Altar)

1000 point Chaos Vs Dwarf report

Post by Spiky »

Hi All,

I'm trying my skills at battle reporting, as I'd like to share some of my defeats with you for advise on what went wrong...
As a trial I took some notes and pictures for the follwing game at our local club last Tuesday that I thought I'd share with you

Army Lists:
I've not got the complete lists but this was roughly what each player was fielding...

Mike's Chaos:
5 Furies
1 Spawn
5 Chosen Knights of Chaos with full Command
14 Chaos Warriors with Full Command
19 Marauders with Full Command
Aspiring Champion of Chaos (with the Chaos Warriors)
Level 1 Sorcerer (With the Marauders)

Sam's Dwarves
14 Thunderers with champion
15 Longbeards with standard and champion
15 Longbeards with standard and champion
10 Ironbreakers with full command
Organ Gun
Thane (with the Ironbreakers)

Deployment:

Dwarves
Sam set his Thunderers on a hill protecting his central left flank and placed the Organ gun next to a forest on his right flank. The longbeard and ironbreaker units occupied the centre of his line

Chaos
Mike places his Dire wolves in front of the Chosen, which occupy the centre of his line with the Chaos Warriors unit to the left. The spawn takes a position on the right flank opposite the Thunderers and the Marauders take position on his left flank next to the warrior block. The Furies are placed directly behind the unit of chosen.

Turn 1 – Chaos
All units advance towards the dwarf line and the Marauders move to occupy the hill on the left of Mike’s deployment zone. The sorcerer in the Marauders unit casts a fireball which is unsurprisingly dispelled by the dwarves.

Turn 2 Chaos - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... fe2f37.jpg

Turn 1 – Dwarves

During the movement phase the 2 Longbeard units and the Ironbreakers reposition and move backwards a small amount. Sam’s Shooting phase opens with the Thunderers on the hill targeting Mike’s Chosen behind the Dire Wolves but fail to wound. The Organ gun is also just able to see the unit behind the wolves. 10 shots are fired with 7 hits on the unit, resulting in 4 dead knights. The remaining Chosen champion passes his panic test but is looking decidedly lonely.

Turn 2 – Chaos
All units again advance towards the dwarven line. The sorcerer again has his fireball dispelled. Taking the hint from Sam’s devastating shooting in the previous turn, Mike moves his Furies to a position directly in front of the war machine, hoping to prevent it shooting at his unit of Chaos Warriors. The Dire Wolves also race up the hill to occupy a position in front of the Thunderers to block their line of sight.

Turn 2 Chaos - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... 0ea058.jpg

Turn 2 – Dwarves
Sam declares a charge on the Furies with his Ironbreakers and the closest Longbeard unit. The Thunderers fire at the wolves at nearly point blank range, causing 2 wound which prompts the unit to flee 4 inches. Unfortunately the Marauders are still on the hill so can be targeted by the Organ gun, which promptly converts 8 shots into 8 wounds. The Marauders manage to pass their panic test. In combat the Furies manage to kill one Ironbreaker before losing two of their number and pop following a failed instability test. The Longbeards unfortunately overrun straight into Mike’s Chaos warrior unit.

Turn 2 Dwarves - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... 8e6719.jpg

Turn 3 – Chaos
Things start to look grim for Mike as his lone Chosen knight charges into the other Longbeard unit. The remaining Dire Wolves rally successfully and regroup to face the Thunderers again. Again the Sorcerer successfully casts his fireball spell on a roll of 6 but is dispelled by a roll of 21 with four dice by Sam. In combat, the lone Knight and his mount cause 2 wounds but are beaten by combat resolution and fails the break test. Things don’t get much better in the combat between the Warriors and the Longbeards. The units cause a single wound each, but the Warriors lose as the dwarves outnumber them. They pass their break test to continue fighting.

Turn 3 – Dwarves
With no charges to declare, Sam moves the longbeards not involved in combat to face the spawn threatening his left flank. The Ironbreakers move to within charge range of the Marauder unit. Shooting is again devastating as the Thunderers fire with 2 ranks on the remaining Dire Wolves and destroy the unit. The Organ gun fires again at the marauder unit with 8 shots resulting in 7 wounds. The marauders pass their panic test.

Turn 3 Dwarves - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... 918d0d.jpg

Turn 4 – Chaos
Mike charges the remaining Marauders into the waiting Ironbreakers and the Spawn moves into combat with the Longbeards.
The Thane in the Ironbreaker unit uses his rune of swiftness to strike first and allocates all his attacks against the Sorcerer, killing him. The remaining Marauders fail to wound, lose combat and are broken by the dwarves, who manage to catch them on the pursuit and destroy the unit.
The Spawn manages to kill a dwarf and take a wound in return. The Warriors also manage 1 wound on the other longbeard unit with no casualties themselves and combat is tied but won by the Warriors as the dwarves don’t have a musician. Not surprisingly the dwarves pass their break test.

Turn 4 Chaos - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... 687fd7.jpg

Turn 4 – Dwarves
The Ironbreakers wheel to threaten the flanks of the Chaos Warrior unit. With all surviving enemies engaged in combat, the Dwarves have no targets in the Shooting phase. The Warriors fail to wound and take 2 casualties in reply. The dwarves win and the Warriors again pass their break test to hold.
On his left flank, the spawn kills 3 of Sam’s longbeards leaving his champion to attack, causing 1 wound.

Turn 4 Dwarves - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... 06ba23.jpg

Turn 5 – Chaos
The spawn manages to cause 1 wound after missing with 5 of it’s attacks and the dwarves finally take it down. In a desperate last effort, the Chaos warriors win the centre combat, killing 3 longbeards in the process. Unfortunately the stubborn dwarves hold and the warriors brace themselves for the inevitable flank charge from the Ironbreakers.

Turn 5 – Dwarves
Sam charges his Ironbreakers into the flank of the Chaos Warrior unit. The longbeard unit turns to face the other Chaos flank if needed for a possible charge in turn 6. In the combat, the Ironbreakers cause one wound, with the warriors killing 3 longbeards in reply. The remaining longbeards fail to wound. The dwarves win the combat but the warriors still manage to hold.

Turn 6 – Chaos
Mike starts getting desperate and challenges the Thane in the Ironbreakers with his Aspiring champion. The Thane attacks first with the rune of swiftness, wounding the champion twice, however the grace of the gods is with the Champion who saves both wounds with his ward save before wounding the Thane in reply.
Unfortunately the rest of the warriors don’t fare so well and fail to wound, thus losing the combat by 4 points and failing their break test.

Turn 6 – Chaos - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... 7a4c53.jpg

Turn 6 – Dwarves
Unfortunately Sam has no units in position to charge the broken warriors so decides to take pot shots at the fleeing unit. The Thunderers open up and remove 3 more warriors from the unit. The Organ gun, after performing excellently throughout the skirmish misfires and is blown up.

Turn 6 Dwarves - http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/ ... 708d9a.jpg
Revol
Slave on the Altar

Post by Revol »

Sorry to be picky, but are the units of long beards are illegal without any clansmen?
Spiky
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Spiky »

Apologies - they might have been clansmen if they weren't longbeards :oops:

I didn't see the list properly and haven't read the Dwarf army book so you're probably right
Daemonic aura
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daemonic aura »

Erm, sorry to be picky again, but
Mike’s Chosen behind the Dire Wolves but fail to wound
Chaos doesn't get dire wolves. I would treat it as if you meant chaos hounds, but in the list at the top it doesn't have any: Did he have any?
But a good report though.
to be the man, you've got to beat the man.
Spiky
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Spiky »

Yes...

He did have a unit of 5 chaos hounds (slaps head repeatedly)

I'll confirm the army list and update this report next week

Thanks for your comments though! :D
Darkhand6
Cold One Knight

Post by Darkhand6 »

despite the memory problems goos report
one thing i think your turn arrangements are a little confusing (and it appears that chaos has 2 turn twos)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is bunny... aint he cute?
Paul nettle
Cold One Knight

Post by Paul nettle »

I, for one, enjoyed the report - the pictures made it easy to follow.

Chaso Wariors are rarely seen - too expensive, too slow. More Chaos knights and cheap hounds are always good! If in doubt, get Russel at GW Swindon to show you his all mounted Chaos Mortals army.

Don't forget the biggest wargames club in Swindon (50+ members) also has an active Fantasy section and meets every Wednesday. The only thing is, we are part of GW's Gaming Club Network, so if you are under 16 you will need to be accompanied by an adult. We will be running a WFB campaign in June (after the WPS Club Challenge is over).