Story competitions

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

*cough* Since last I heard, here, to be a moderator, you had to at least know something about what topic the forum was concerned, in this case, being mod of the History forum means you know a fair deal about fluff and aren't illiterate.

Point still stands. Knowing a lot about the background doesn't mean that you can be a good judge of story-writing ability, it means that you know a lot about the background. I'd go with an idea (in reflection) of choosing one person who we know is a good writer, and then adding one or two people chosen by the members. That way, there'll be a representation from all sides of the board, but the balance will sit with the members themselves, which is probably as it should be.

There's also the fact that reading 10+ two thousand words stories is a lot more of a pain than reading 10+ one thousand word stories.

I've never had any problems, but then, I'm a fast reader. If two thousand words is too much, then how about 1000-1500? It's what most schools tend to prescribe for their English subjects that I've seen, so it shouldn't be too hard for the members to come up with something that fits into those guidelines.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Lamehk the slavemaster
Cold One Knight

Post by Lamehk the slavemaster »

Rork wrote:
If there's a central e-mail address (as there was for the last competition), getting hold of them is less of a problem too.

not everybody has an email adress. i dont for one. so i dont think emailing is a good idea. posting it on history under: competition: (title) sound good though
The only time you need to worry is when you see a snotling with a monacle and goatee. Then; you run.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Lamehk the Slavemaster wrote:not everybody has an email adress. i dont for one.

Oh? I regret to inform you that that means you provided us with a false email address when you signed up and are therefore in breach of forum law (probably). It's not like it's complicated to creat a free Hotmail account.

Getting the stuff to the judges will just involve emailing a Word document (you know that a one thousand word piece can't get any larger than 50kb, right? And that the size of your email does little to impact how fast it gets transmitted?) to an email address, most probably one of the judges' to keep things simple.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Muse of harganeth
Executioner

Post by Muse of harganeth »

A neutral shade of black. wrote:

Oh? I regret to inform you that that means you provided us with a false email address when you signed up and are therefore in breach of forum law (probably). It's not like it's complicated to creat a free Hotmail account.

Something is wrong them, becuase you can't post untill your acount is activated, which is done via emailing. Nothing adds up!
If you posted the story on Dnet, i'm sure someone would copy paste it onto a word document, then send it via email for you, just making sure that it has your name on it!

Now thats all saughted i think it's time we organise, when to start writing (Now proberbly if you haven't already) a deadline when the stories have to be in and rules if any are nessesary.
As time past on, the feeling of fun
passed away like wind on a mountain...
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Muse of Harganeth wrote:If you posted the story on Dnet, i'm sure someone would copy paste it onto a word document, then send it via email for you, just making sure that it has your name on it!

Nope - stories cannot be revealed at all. No sharing with fellow writers (except behind the judges' backs), no revealing plothooks or even concepts. Stories can and will be disqualified if this rule is breached (bascially meaning that if you say something about what you intend to write, you'll have to find another idea or your entry will be discarded). As I said, I intend to run this the ImpLit way.

Anyway, since this thread is all about discussing...

Druchii.net Story Competition April '06

Basic rules and guidelines

The competition format will be one thousand words, with a maximum 10% extra if you really need it. Anything beyond 1100 words will simply not be read when judging the story. Harsh, I know, but the trick is fitting a story in a thousand words.

Each competition will feature a particular theme around which the story should be articulated. The theme of this first story competition will simply be "The Druchii" for ease of participation, but will change with each new competition.

The judges' pannel reserves the right to discard any story they feel inappropriate (either because it does not conform to the competition's theme, or because it was found to be plagiarised, had little to no punctuation or other such insulting things). The judges' pannel cannot be held accountable for misplacing the participants' work, mixing up names, blowing up the server, causing the end of humanity or anything else.

Stories are to be written in secret. Anyone posting their ideas/concepts/etc. will be asked to write about something different. Anyone not complying and submitting an entry the contents of which have already been (partially or more) revealed will see their entry discarded.

The deadline is set to a month of the beginning of the competition. The estimated starting time of the competition is the first of April '06. The estimated closing time of the competition is the first of May '06, though entries may be accepted beyond that date if the judges are provided with a good excuse.

Judges and voting

The board of judges will be made up of the following people: two as of yet undetermined moderators or Initiative members and two regular users. Keep in mind that judges cannot participate in this competition.

Upon reaching the deadline, the judges' pannel will convene and decide upon a shortlist of the best stories. These will then be submitted to the public in a poll so that they may inform the judges of their particular preferences. In case of a tie, the judges may decide to impose their decision.

Placing and awards

There will be three finalists, chosen by the poll. So as not to discourage any of the participants, all three finalists will receive the same award: [Note - the following is highly speculative and depends upon my coaxing the adequate people into doing this for us] a custom title until the next competition ("Druchii.net Story Competition Finalist, Xth Place") as well as having their work featured in the Druchii Herald.

In addition to this, the judges may, if they feel that the people's opinion did not properly reflect the quality of the stories presented, designate another participant to receive the "Judges' Best" award and custom rank.

There y'go. Modelled loosely on ImpLit's highly successful contests. The one thousand word limit is here to stay, since its function is to spice the whole thing up by making it somewhat harder to produce a finished piece.
General Kala wrote:
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I'd recommend a less wordy custom title for the finalists...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Stuntykiller
Warrior

Post by Stuntykiller »

firstly, i'd just like to say this is a great idea. As one of the original entrants to last years contest (i believe only 10 or 11 people entered in the end!) I shall certainly be giving it another go this year.

@ general kala - as you seem to know / remember the most from last years contest, i don't suppose you'd know if the stories from that competition are still stored somewhere by Druchii.net? I only ask as thanks to changing PC's and being rather thick I have lost my entry from last year, and would like to get hold of a copy if theres one about.
"I WILL enslave you, I WILL torture you, I WILL maim you and I WILL kill you, but I'll do it with a smile......"

THE LOST INVASION FORCE OF YAR'KANETH (3000 PTS):
P:4 W:2 D:2 L:1
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Rork wrote:I'd recommend a less wordy custom title for the finalists...

Yeah, well, I was actually planning on finding something clever. I will have by the time this ends, anyway. :P
General Kala wrote:
Raziel02

Post by Raziel02 »

in the rules it refers to each competition, how many will there be?
Lamehk the slavemaster
Cold One Knight

A neutral shade of black. wrote:

i meant that its my parent's i used and i cant readily acsess it. it was with special permission that i used their's

i agree with the rules. and i will certainly be entering
The only time you need to worry is when you see a snotling with a monacle and goatee. Then; you run.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Lamehk the Slavemaster wrote:i meant that its my parent's i used and i cant readily acsess it. it was with special permission that i used their's

Why not get yourself a hotmail/yahoo/etc. address?

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Raziel02 wrote:in the rules it refers to each competition, how many will there be?

How the hell am I supposed to know? :lol:

More than one, in any case - possibly one every three months, or one whenever I feel like it, plus one for special events (Christmas, etc.).

Anyway, I'll go make the announcement in the History forum.
General Kala wrote:
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

@ Stuntykiller - Sorry bud. None of the other entries are in any of the forums that I have found. Alas, I've lost my entry as well due to a virus infection on my home PC.

Glad to see that you are taking the reigns on this one ANSOB. It's good to see such enthusiasm from everyone. There are a lot of really good writers floating about this site. Look forward to reading some of the entries.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

General Kala wrote:Look forward to reading some of the entries.

And sticking the winners in the Herald, yes? ;)

(Edit - Yes! - Kala)
General Kala wrote:
Lamehk the slavemaster
Cold One Knight

Rork wrote:Why not get yourself a hotmail/yahoo/etc. address?

i try but my parents dont have time to set it up and im rubbish at the technical stuff on computers

well anyway. the compitition it should be good now that the rules seem ok. will we be pming the mods? or just posting on a sticky
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Lamehk the Slavemaster wrote:i try but my parents dont have time to set it up and im rubbish at the technical stuff on computers

:shock:

All you need to do is enter your name and address...

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

I think he is subtly asking for an @Druchii.net !wink!
*just kidding*

Of course it would be an honour :D
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Ilokir wrote:I think he is subtly asking for an @Druchii.net !wink!

Even I don't get stuff like that ;).

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Rork wrote:Even I don't get stuff like that ;).

Is Kitrik still selling those, by the way?
General Kala wrote: