SAU VI: The Temple of Khaine

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

SAU VI: The Temple of Khaine

Post by Tarbo »

The sun still hangs low over the sky as you make your way to the tall structure in the busy city. Even when the militaristic tendencies overcome your most common reflexes, there is no harm to be found in the twittering of the birds or the blossoming of a flower. It is spring, and there is no weakness in admitting its beauty.

People commence their toil and grind, greeting you busily but politely as you pass. After all, you wear the mark of the Temple, dressed in your official garbs for the upcoming inauguration.

You have made it through the initial training, endured what the teachers have thrown at you; you have seen others bend, twist and finally break under pressure. Whether it be by strength, determination, charm, or an influential family member who helped you through, you are where you are.

In typical Druchii style, the structure you now walk through has little in ways of lavish decoration. It shows pride and strength, but also great pragma and efficiency. It has always and ably walked a thin line between the two.

On your way through the corridors, you find a few others that seem to be headed the same way, although it takes them a while to find out. The building is maze-like in build and appearance, and there is no telling which direction is which, truly.

A quick inquiry tells you that these others are indeed headed for the Council chamber as well, where they were to meet a man named Tarbo. The name rings a bell, somewhere, somehow—yes, it hung in the air once or twice during your whole training—but you don't remember ever having cared much. You don't see much reason to change that, either.

After mounting staircases, sloping floors, passing cyclic corridors and wrong chambers, you are finally pointed in the correct direction. Before you stand the double doors that open to the council chamber, where you will meet your final test: composure.

You find an elf shouting at the guards to let her through, but the guards don't budge a muscle. As soon as they recognise your emblem, the guards immediately withdraw their spears from the doorway and allow you access. You leave the she-elf to stare indignantly at the whole proceeding while you enter the chamber.

And what a large chamber it is! Worthy to hold a city council in the busiest of meetings, a long table optically split this room in half, holding a number of chairs arrayed along the length. Sunlight reaches deep within by virtue of the long, sturdy skylight above, and the tall windows overlooking the neighbouring park.

Woefully undermanned for such a large chamber, only two people are present when you enter: a scribe and someone you can identify only as Tarbo. There is some quiet discussing between the two; the conversation is rounded up when you enter, and you are greeted with a smile. The scribe bows to all of you and leaves silently.

“Ah, you must be the applicants I was told about. Welcome,” Tarbo greets you. “Please, pull up a chair, have a seat; we've placed nametags for your convenience. There should be enough to accommodate everyone.”

Tarbo folds his hands behind his back, displaying a similar emblem as your own, signifying that he, too, is a member of the Temple. “You may wonder what it is you are doing here. Frankly, that was the same thing I asked your training master when I was told to make the final selection before your inaugaration, and told to do so within this very week.”

He takes a deep breath before continuing, all the while keeping a slight smile on his lips. “You are all potential members of the Temple; whether you aspire to be head guard of the more ranking members, or to be a paladin to further the cause, or an inquisitor to ferret out banned cults, there is one recurring quality you must posess: the ability to sniff and snuff out danger.”

The smile broadens to a grin, showing one of Tarbo's eyeteeth. “Now, some apprentices of our own are about to graduate, or so I would hope. The competition is stiff, to say the least.”

He frees up his hands and instantly claps them once to fire up everyone's attention. “So I crushed two bugs with one swat! Some of the—hopefully more talented—would-be assassins have mingled among you. You may have met them in the corridors, you may even have asked them directions; from this day onward, they will be among you.”

“It is your job to find and kill them. You will be using your skills of rethoric, analysis and psychology to find the perpetrators, since you will have to convince your fellows of your right. In the meantime, these apprentice assassins will be trying to, ah, lessen the threat. You get my drift.”

Instantly, the she-elf you saw outside briskly walks past the guards, chin held high, and delivers a scroll to Tarbo. She barely bothers to bow, too insulted that she wouldn't be allowed in, and leaves immediately. Tarbo takes the scroll with an amused chuckle and starts reading it, keeping some other papers to hand while humming a tune. Apparently, knocking off people seems to involve a surprising amount of paperwork.

“Oh, before I forget: dead people don't graduate. Just to get any misconceptions out of the way.”

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Players
  1. Mel'Reyna
  2. Drakhan
  3. Tastyfish
  4. Lamehk the Slavemaster
  5. SleekDD
  6. Morvai
  7. The Blade Liger
  8. Tylarion
  9. Darmort
  10. Mornar Shethurith
  11. rankrath
  12. Prince Cal
  13. Kin'eleth
  14. seanzala
  15. Malevion
  16. XtremeNL
  17. Ashnari Doomsong
  18. A neutral shade of black.

With 18 players, 10 constitute a majority.
Lamehk the slavemaster
Cold One Knight

Post by Lamehk the slavemaster »

there was only tarbo and the another one when lamehk entered and took the place that had been set for him. he listened while Tarbo explained.

"hmmmm, so there are assassins in our midst, chaos assassins? their taint spreads everywhere like a cancer" lamehk replied to Tarbo.
The only time you need to worry is when you see a snotling with a monacle and goatee. Then; you run.
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

Sleek Davian entered the room, unhindered by the guards, much unlike a certain woman who left the council chamber with chin raised and eyes haughty. One had to admire her courage to keep this act up against one of the most fearsome assassins known to be alive. After all, wasn't Tarbo the one who led his team against the Slaaneshi some time ago?

Sleek noticed only one other member than himself was already present, a man named Lamehk.

"Greetings, Aspirant", Sleek voiced, "It seems we have to prove our worth if we are to join the ranks of the Temple. If we are to discover the assassins, I suggest we make life as hard as we can make it for them. Forcing them to take part in our conversation seems a viable approach so let's start by introducing ourselves.

My name is Sleek Davian, an Elf from common blood. I sought entry to the Temple to root out all who betray Malekith's edict lifting the worship of the Bloody Handed God to the sole official worship of Naggaroth."

With that, the raven-haired Elf bowed slightly as a closure of his little speech and took a seat. He would not be stopped by anyone in his quest to claw his way up through the social ranks.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Lamehk the slavemaster
Cold One Knight

Lamehk acknowledged the greeting and heard what the one called Sleek had to say.
"indeed. i as you know full well, due to the name tag, am Lamehk an elf, like you, of the common blood. this situation is grave the assassins must be rooted out! for the glory of Malekith we must kill them all!"
The only time you need to worry is when you see a snotling with a monacle and goatee. Then; you run.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

OOC: since we were all in the room when Tarbo spoke, makes sense that we'd still all be in it after, no?

By the way - I reposted this after Lamehk's post, so as not to break continuity.

Ilran Drythe snorted. 'I see intelligence was not a prerequisite for the selection of some of us, then.'

Drythe turned to Tarbo. 'I suppose some form of indication as to who these "assassin trainees" are would be too much to ask for, yes?' he added with a smile. 'I did not think so, but it never hurts to ask.'

'I also suppose we should establish some form of trust this early in our graduation process, so as to maximise our chances of all coming through this. I will start by presenting myself,' Drythe said, standing up and taking a bow. 'Ilran Drythe, son of a wealthy merchant. Some of you may snort and snigger at this, but I assure you - I am just as fast with a knife and sword as the best of you, common blood or not.' Drythe smiled, exhuming his pearl-white teeth. 'Let that serve as a word of caution to any would-be "Chaos" assassins amongst our ranks.'
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

Malevion strode into the council chamber and took his place at the table. He was a tall thin elf, clad in the exquisite robes of a weaLthy noble house. Like every aprentice of the temple he wore the icon of Khaine on a leather thong around his neck. His dark hair was drawn back into a tight topknot and his face was gaunt. His most notable features were his odd yellow eyes, which burned with the righteous zeal of Khaine.

As Malevion took his place at the table he overhead candidate Ilran, express a desire for every elf present to introduce themselves in order to form a bond of trust. Malevion smirked when he overhead this depressingly Asurish philosophy being voiced in the hallowed temple of Khaine, the Lord of Murder. His amusement was betrayed in his voice as he spoke.

"I am Malevion D'fein, youngest son of house D'fein. My family gave me over to the temple as is traditional with youngest children and I am in training to become a missionary of Khaine. I will spread the word of our Lord to unbelievers throughout this world, whether it be by cunning argument or more likely by the sword. Now with niceties out of the way, let us get down to business. Candidate Ilran, your desire to create a bond of trust is both foolish a dangerous. Were we all to trust eachother then the trainee assassins in our midst would find it simple to butcher us one by one. Nay, mistrust is the order of the day. Anyone among us might be an assassin so therefore we can trust no one. Is this not the way of Our blessed Lord Himself. To suggest such idiocy as that which you have just uttered on Khaine's most holy ground is almost blasphemy. Hang your head in shame, Candidate, hang your head in shame."
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Darmort
The Bane Of Gavin Thrope

Post by Darmort »

Darmort frowned. "Our own?" Wondered the Elf. He was covered in many robes and cloaks, with a hood shadowing all but the very tip of the chin of what looked to be bone.
"It is an inconvience for me to be here at this time; the killings have started yet again," he said, as though he'd been through all of this again. "I will think upon this, for now..."
Back From Druchii Hiatus
Rankrath
Executioner

Post by Rankrath »

"So it is true then," Rankrath said, polishing a dagger with a worn cloth."the Slannesh are moving across our land like some sort of foul cancer. This news confirms what the letter I receved from my father, who also shares my name wrote right befor ehe died. I was handed the notice only yesterday.
But then again he was weak, filled with self doubt after a asur took his eye out."
in this life time, people get hurt. just be glad is wasn't your turn

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Cadian_Fortress/index.php? Come and join the ranks of the Imperial Guard.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Drythe laughed. 'And this, companions, is the future of our brilliant nation. It seems to me, dear Malevion, that your point of view is dangerously... chaotic in its nature. Would you not agree?' The merchant's son paused, savouring his words.

'The scriptures do not advocate dissent in stead of unity when the time is needed,' he added, his tone bitter. 'Mistrust would only mount each one of us against the other - divide and conquer; I would have thought a child of the nobility would have known one of our ancestral proverbs. United, it will prove far easier to challenge, uncover and kill the trainees amongst us. All that suspecting one's neighbour achieves is facilitating the task of those assassins. And you would go on to command the King's armies?' Ilran barely contained his sneer.
General Kala wrote:
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

"There are obviously two sides to this argument. We can trust, and risk trusting the assassins, or mistrust, and risk attacking each other, while the assassins watch us destroy ourselves and pick off remaining ones one by one."

Murazor here paused. He looked fairly heavy set for an elf, but it barely hindered his movement and agility in combat. Murazor was his name, but many called him The Blade Liger, from his canny ability in capturing and using these wild cats of the mountains in battle, and as pets. Bringing his hand up to his chin, he seemed to ponder to himself for a while, glancing over each of the council members.

"We can follow our own methods of rooting out the assassins, but I think that trusting each and every member without cause will mean that we spend each day doing nothing, while at night we are picked off one by one. We should at least assume that every one of us has something to hide, and therefore we can notice when an assassin slips up in his speech, and draw upon that. That is not to say that we should jump on a council member if they make an error of speech, but if we have sufficient claim that a member of the council is an assassin, we should not wait trying to find some proof of his innocence, but strike."

Murazor sat down heavily, hoping that the other council members would understand what he meant.
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Malevion

Post by Malevion »

Malevion smirk only grew wider as he listened to Ilran's response

"Do not think to insult my intelligence commoner. Of course I have heard of your little proverb as has every Druchii in this room. But here is another proverb of our people for you to digest. I doubt you will have heard it before.'Distrust and caution are the parents of security.' Unity can be important at times as you say, but as I said this is not one of those times. While loyalty and trust would be of value in say a battle, this set of circumstances is entirely different. If we were at war then we would know exactly who our enemy was and would face them openly across the field of battle. Unity would be useful then. But as I'm sure we all can see, this is not a battle. Here we have no idea who our enemies are, in fact they have infiltrated us and stand now amongst our number. If there was to be an atmosphere of unity and trust such as you advocate then we would be easy meat for these assassins. If you do not suspect your neighbour, then how can you expect to discover any of the assassin's identities?"

Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

'I believe what you meant was "Prudence is the mother of safety;" but never mind - I will not hold a grudge against you for your apparent lack of wits.' The only thing that kept Drythe from spitting was the fact that he was on hallowed grounds.

'Though I do tremendously enjoy our little brawl, I must confess this is going nowhere. That you could assume I was advocating blind trust in the face of peril baffles me, but regardless - I propose we follow the as of yet unintroduced speaker in his considerations concerning all of us. Therefore, I state the following: each of us has a secret; this does not dispense each of us from helping the others survive this trial, nor does it dispense us from the common courtesies we have come to expect from such civilised places as the heart of one of our great Cities. I will not take you up on that insult concerning my warrior talents for now, D'fein; consider yourself lucky.'
General Kala wrote:
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

"Be that as it may, the mistrust that is being advocated leads to paranoia and soon no one will be willing to speak up for everything you mention will be used to put you to death", Sleek mentioned towards Malevion.

"Blind trust is foolish but no one has even hinted at this. We know there are assassins amongst us but by sitting on our chair, staring at each other's faces, we are not going to stop them, unless someone believes he can read minds."

"No my friends, we need to keep the herd moving and keep an eye out for anyone not reacting as they should. Draw people in conversations and speak up yourself. Only by probing can we hope to find those who we're looking for. See who acts suspiciously and act when the time is right. This first Day, we will probably have to choose fairly at random, or we choose not to execute anyone but that will not help us in the least."
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Kin'eleth
Executioner

Post by Kin'eleth »

Kin'eleth took a sip of wine, watching the "brawl". His skin was a very dark blue, and hair a dark green. He wore expensive armour and two swords were buckled at his side. He wore boots made of fine dwarf skin.

"I see we have already started fighting. This cannot be good if we are to find these assassins and kill them. They will want us to kill ourselves and do the work for them."
Morvai

Post by Morvai »

As the people entered the room an elf entered the room. He stumbled on his legs and had clearly drunk too much. He listened to Tarbo with an amount of interest that was strange for someone who seemed drunk. After the talk he sat down next to Blade Linger. He crossed his legs in the lotus position and listened as the other councillors spoke.

He got a few strange looks from other councillors but considering his condition and his looks it wasn’t that strange. He was a tall and weary build elf. He was bare foot and wore nothing apart from white pants. On his right upper-arm was tattooed the symbol of Khaine. He had short hair apart from a stroke that walked from his temples to the back of his head and then down along his spine. His hair was of a strange silver colour and he had ice blue eyes.

The elf took a flask from his belt and took a sip he then stood up and said: “I’m Ban Kheir, but I prefer to be called Morvai. Morvai seems to be a lord somewhere who has the same strange hair colour as me and I like to be a son of a lord so I prefer to use his name.”
Aldo Morvai still appeared drunk he spoke like he hadn’t drink a single thing.
“Seeing that everyone is already starting to make statements I will just sit back and listing, so that some might actually hear what people are shouting.” With that said Morvai sat back in his chair in the same position he had been in before.

To people who sat for away he looked like he was paying attention but for those more nearby he was clearly somewhere else with his mind.
Masters of Mischief (NC background)
The Black Blades (DE). W: 2 D: 2 L: 1
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

"Or, the assassins were the ones that started the fighting. It seems logical that they split us right from the start."
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

OOC That last post was directed at Kin'eleth's comment as morvai hadn't posted.
Malevion

Post by Malevion »

"Very well Irlan, I shall cease our little "brawl" as you so aptly put it. It was amusing to start with but now I grow tired of you continuously prooving your wrongness with every further word you utter. Before this moment I had not realised that it was possible to be more wrong than just ordinary wrong, but you amazed us all and found a way. I believe congratulations are in order for this feat. Before you advocate trust and unity for our society in the future, I urge you to consider whose side of that issue our god and our king might take in this dispute. I assure you it would not be your's. Anyhow I will not say another word on this matter. Let us get on with the business at hand"

He switched his gaze to Candidate Seanzala

"Accusations already, Seanzala? While I cannot speak for our slightly retarded colleague, I will say that for my part I was only defending the ideology of our society and religion as well as voicing my disgust at what I see as a foolish course of action."

Drakhan
Noble

Post by Drakhan »

Drakhan watched as his fellow councelers argued. "I belive sleek." Here he bowed his head slightly in Sleeks direction.
"Is corect we must neither trust blindly, nor should we vote without cause if avoidable."

"Alot of you have stated that the assasins are Slaaneshii, though it is posible one or two might of sneeked in. Tarbo stated that the assasins we fight here are our own. This is a chalange, to kill off the weak members, it has already proven that some of you lack listening skills."

The Paladin of Khaine in training returned to his seat.
Drakhan who was once Shaadan who was once Drow sorcerer who was once Tangas who was once Drow Sorcerer.

Damn you SAU!
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

"Not accusations, more like suggestions. I merely stated a possibility."
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

As noon has settled on the city, the sun shines brightly through the skylight far above. Outside and far below, the cosmopolitan aggregation has burst into activity, but little noise of it reaches the council chamber. This is a room of relative peace and quiet, of serenity and debate, when it isn't filled with people trying to convince others not to kill them outright.

The double doors open once again. Yes, it is noon, and it is time to eat and strenghten the resolve of the chamber's occupants. Only after meticulous inspection by the guards—especially the wine is double-checked—is dinner allowed to approach the long table.

Saliva building in your mouth from the lengthy anticipation caused by the guards' inspection, you find yourself... disappointed. At first sight, the food looks only slightly better than what you received during training. Upon closer inspection, however, you find it looks much more... ah... healthy. You're positive it must contain many essential vitamins and nutrients.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Tarbo exclaims as he folds his hands on the table again, “I would like the opportunity to stress that you are here to find assassins, not necessarily Slaaneshi. In fact, if they were Slaaneshi, I would be very surprised. The Temple does not—as a rule—train our enemies. No, these assassins are Khainite true and blooded like yourself.”

A broad grin turns on his lips. “That being said: bon appetit.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Players
  1. Mel'Reyna
  2. Drakhan
  3. Tastyfish
  4. Lamehk the Slavemaster
  5. SleekDD
  6. Morvai
  7. The Blade Liger
  8. Tylarion
  9. Darmort
  10. Mornar Shethurith (inactive)
  11. rankrath
  12. Prince Cal
  13. Kin'eleth
  14. seanzala
  15. Malevion
  16. XtremeNL
  17. Ashnari Doomsong
  18. A neutral shade of black.
With 17 active players, 9 constitute a majority.
Xtremenl
Black Guard

Post by Xtremenl »

XtremeNL rose from his seat to introduce himself, he was wearing the plain steel breast plate and chainmail skirt of a house guard, with bright red sleeves keeping his arms warm. On his waist hung a single curved scabbard holding his scimitar. He had a scar on the right side of his neck, and deep black eyes, making it impossible to tell iris from pupil. His hair a contrasting white hanging down to his shoulder.
He opened his mouth and spoke:
"I was an ordinary guard member, my parents were only noble in blood, but servants of a lord in deed. I was send here because of my exeptional skill with the blade and my faith in Khaine."
XtremeNL tok a deep breath.
"Sadly enough my parents and family where killed shortly thereafter when the lord took total control of the city and showwed himself to be a traitorous slaaneshite."
"Enough about myself, I wish Us all good luck, and that the best may graduate!"
Xtremenl
Black Guard

Post by Xtremenl »

OOC: oops, forgot we are wearing khaine garb, so remove the cloth description except for the sword for future reference. background fluff remains unchanged though, and maybe we can wear other clothing 'tommorow', Tarbo?
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

XtremeNL wrote:OOC: oops, forgot we are wearing khaine garb, so remove the cloth description except for the sword for future reference. background fluff remains unchanged though, and maybe we can wear other clothing 'tommorow', Tarbo?
OOC: Your clothing is your choice, although you were expecting a more formal ceremony than Tag with swords. All of you wear an emblem to identify you as aspiring members of the Temple, an emblem you require to gain entrance to the council chamber. Other than that, there are no requirements to your clothing. No harm done.
Lamehk the slavemaster
Cold One Knight

lamehk awoke from his meditation.
"someone here is lying all we need to do is find out who. there is no need to accuse... YET. we all know who we suspect. one of us will die tonight."
he shook his head at the stupidity of the elves who jumped to such conlusions at once