Coffers of the Witch King-June Ideas of the Month

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Coffers of the Witch King-June Ideas of the Month

Post by Voodoomaster »

A new Month Begins so we now we move onto the next Ideas of the Month, this month we move away from the Temple of Khaine and From the City of Karond Kar. Instead we open to Coffers of the Witch King and Look upon the Ancient Weapons of Nagarythe that we have held for along time.
And in the Light of the Making all Storm of Chaos and Albion weapons Illegal in the last month we require new magic items to fill the void in all of the categories from Magical Weapons to Enchanted Banners.
Here are some that I have been developing for some time now.

Soul Eater: 15pts
Counts as a Lance and follows all normal Rules for a Lance; however in addition on the Charge the Lance gains the Killing Blow Ability.

Spine Blades: 35pts
Counts as Two Hand Weapons with Armour Piercing Attacks and +1 Strength at all times.

Whip of Agony: 25pts
-1 armour saves, if hit the target cannot attack this combat turn.

Black Sea Dragon Cloak: 20pts
Counts as a Sea Dragon Cloak but instead it Conveys a +2 Save against Close combat attacks and +3 Against Shooting attacks, and can be combined with other Armour as usual.

Seer Stone: 15pts
All Spells cast by the Wizard with this item have 6” extra range to them, so a spell that has a 24” range normally would instead have a Range of 30”.
Last edited by Voodoomaster on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Ooooh, I have an idea to add to this. Lets make slaves! :roll: No, they look like like decent items, Im not just sure about the points values on some. Like the Soul Eater, its a lance and killing blow. Our assassins pay double for just the killing blow ability. I would put it at about 30 points.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

I like those, however, the BlackSea Dragon cloak might be a litte powerful, as it can give a character a -1+ save in combat, and -2+ against shooting!! Perhaps up the points a bit. However, I REALLY like the look of those spine blades, nice work.

Sean
Sith
Shade

Post by Sith »

Here are some items to perhaps make the assassin more suited to a mage hunting role..sice the With King is so very good at making other unwanted magic users dissapear...

Points are made within current levels of assassin max...so don't know how well matched the effect will be to the points value. Making them available to others could push up points to say 30 and 50.

Vortex blade: 20 points
Any wizard type character wounded by the Vortex blade generates one less power dice for the rest of the game.

Soulflare throwing knives: 25 points
A wizard wounded by Soulflare will suffer a automatic miscast at the beginning of the next magic phase.
This is serious work we do…
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Voodoomaster wrote:Soul Eater: 15pts
Counts as a Lance and follows all normal Rules for a Lance; however in addition on the Charge the Lance gains the Killing Blow Ability.

35-40. Spear of Twilight is 30, and Lance of Artois is 25, so preferably 35.

Voodoomaster wrote:Spine Blades: 35pts
Counts as Two Hand Weapons with Armour Piercing Attacks and +1 Strength at all times.

+1S is 20 points, magic extra hand weapon is at least 10, AP is probably 5. I'd still price it at 40.

Voodoomaster wrote:Whip of Agony: 25pts

Meh. I hesitate to price it more or it'd be useless, but it sounds a bit too powerful. Change it to if wounded and make it 25-30 points.

Voodoomaster wrote:Black Sea Dragon Cloak: 20pts
Counts as a Sea Dragon Cloak but instead it Conveys a +2 Save against Close combat attacks and +3 Against Shooting attacks, and can be combined with other Armour as usual.

Easily 35-40.

Voodoomaster wrote:Seer Stone: 15pts
All Spells cast by the Wizard with this item have 6” extra range to them, so a spell that has a 24” range normally would instead have a Range of 30”.

Probably 20-25.

Sith wrote:Vortex blade: 20 points
Any wizard type character wounded by the Vortex blade generates one less power dice for the rest of the game.

25-30. Nice idea, by the way, though the name is cheesy.

Sith wrote:Soulflare throwing knives: 25 points
A wizard wounded by Soulflare will suffer a automatic miscast at the beginning of the next magic phase.

30-40. Causing an automiscast is insanely powerful. Again, lame name, decent idea, though throwing knives = meh. Dagger would be better, or else keep them throwing knives and make them 50 points.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

@Loki and ANSOB: The Soul Eater is just a Plain Magical Lance, and Also it only has Killing Blow on the Charge, the rest of the time it is as usless as a normal Lance hence the Cheapness, 15-20pts i feel.

@ANSOB, it is 5pts per +1 Armour Save for Magical Armour, 2+ Armour Save is 25pts, this is actually pretty expensive a 5+/4+ Save for 20pts against shooting and can be combined with other armour, the idea behind it was to be able to have Corsair Captains with Heavier Armour than their Followers.

Vortex blade: 20 points

I Like the Idea, although i feel that Ansob has a point about the name

Soulflare throwing knives: 25 points

very Powerful, also easily countered with the 7th Edition miscast table it will more than likely kill them, they would counter by not casting as you cannot miscast i feel without casting something first.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Voodoomaster wrote:@Loki and ANSOB: The Soul Eater is just a Plain Magical Lance, and Also it only has Killing Blow on the Charge, the rest of the time it is as usless as a normal Lance hence the Cheapness, 15-20pts i feel.

1. that's unoriginal - a copy of a Bret item. Much better for it to always be KB and cost 40. Then again, that just makes it a marginally cheaper DoDP.

2. Brets have the same item for 25, not 15.

Voodoomaster wrote:@ANSOB, it is 5pts per +1 Armour Save for Magical Armour, 2+ Armour Save is 25pts, this is actually pretty expensive a 5+/4+ Save for 20pts against shooting and can be combined with other armour, the idea behind it was to be able to have Corsair Captains with Heavier Armour than their Followers.

Still 30 points at the very least.

Voodoomaster wrote:very Powerful, also easily countered with the 7th Edition miscast table it will more than likely kill them, they would counter by not casting as you cannot miscast i feel without casting something first.

Making them 40 (if just a magic hand weapon) or 50 (if throwing knives) is plenty enough balance, IMO.
General Kala wrote:
Sith
Shade

Post by Sith »

Yeah. I agree about the names...its late here and no amount of coffee can help me decide on good names...
:oops:
Vortex was from rolling a 8-9 on the current MT
Soulflare from a 12 and attracting a daemons attention..
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

I like some of the items Vood, but not all. Spineblades and Soul Eater seem good. Just realised that the Whip is based on rolls to hit, in which case I like it, but make it more expensive. Perhaps even lose the AP, it's a bit of a waste on its own IMO. BSDC is nice, but I think it might make most or all other Magic armours obselete, since now a character can get a very good save if combined with armour, shield and possible mount. Seer Stone I like, nice solution to our problem of range, and yet not necessarilly always taken, since we have other items as well that are also useful.

@ Sith: Vortex blade looks good, but I'm not sure how effective it would be, seeing as I'd think quite a bit of the time if a mage is in combat he/she would die. Perhaps make it that the mage loses all magic ability (in the same way as that result in the miscast table). The Soulflare Knives look cool though.
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Sith
Shade

Post by Sith »

Liger: good point, killing the mage takes away PD anyway..(So use to the assassin not finishing the job)

Perhaps the...ahem..Vortex blade should be a missle weapon rather...aptly named of course... :D

So....

Power Dice Draining Missle Weapon Thingy: 30pts
Wound from this causes loss of one PD for the rest of the game

(Perhaps as a hand weapon could transfer the PD to our pool..but then not allowed for use by the assissin due to sect rules)

OR

If we perhaps drop the strenght of the weapon (due to ensorcelled bolts or whatever ) and remove -1 for moving and shooting=It could drop the level of the mage!

So avg to hit chance, more difficult to wound but powerful effect!

Somebody creative please help with a name
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

hmm, what about an extra poison to beef up the assassin so that they finally become worth their cost?

Only the best beastmasters of Karond Kar are able to retrieve the venom of the rightly feared Black Dragons. When an assassins blade is embedded with it, they will become the most deadly opponents a Dark Elf force can muster.

Black Dragon extract (assassin only)... 50pt

The venom of a Black Dragon is so corrosive that it bites through metal and bone alike. No armour saves are allowed. In addition to this, the character may re-roll failed rolls to wound in the first round of combat

Assassins only: there is already a blade of ruin. I thought the assassin not strong enough. Therefore a stronger version. The re-roll makes it possible for them to (finally) kill stronger opponents
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

Voodoo, the Soul Eater essentially does the exact same thing as the Lance of Artois. however unlike that Lance you can't use this to count for magical attacks in later rounds. You get the +2 S from the charge, and KB alone is usually worth 25...so all in all i think that 25 is about the right price.

Also most parts of the nation seem to have a magic weapon or armor that represents them in at least fluff. I wouldn't mind seeing one for the Temple of Khaine.

50 pts.
Hag Queen only. Counts as 2 hand weapons. The bearer may re-roll failed to hit and wound in the first turn of combat. Will still count as Poisoned.

I know this will be very very powerful but it is only for the first round of combat and for the Hag Queen only. Since the biggest advantage i see is the ability to get more chances of poisoned attacks in. At S4 and no other poisons available, this is an option that will allow the Hag Queen to pump out 5 attacks. This gives her the best opportunity to take something out so she doesn't have any attacks coming back at her.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: Coffers of the Witch King-June Ideas of the Month

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Voodoomaster wrote:Whip of Agony: 25pts

When combined with the high initiative value of Dark Elves, this item is EXTREMELY powerful and -- dare I say it -- cheesy. I would not allow such an item at any price.

Much more reasonable would be for each hit your get, the enemy loses 1 attack.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

Whip of Agony: 25pts

So... another/better Chill Blade? Maybe make it so that only Beastmasters can use it and it gives their mounts +1 movement. Although it would probably have to take up their entire magic item allowance.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Fingol Darkwater wrote:Although it would probably have to take up their entire magic item allowance.

At 25 points it would take up their points allowance. But it would give the beastmasters another option and a little more flexibility. And Fingol's idea wouldnt be bad, but It would have to apply to ground movement, because 21" flying move might be broken.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

I would say their movement only. Fly movement isn't the beasts movement. So i think that would make our dark pegs movement 9 when they have to be on the ground...movement 10 for his dark steed :D...good stuff

his word is law.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Re: Coffers of the Witch King-June Ideas of the Month

Post by Ansob. »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:When combined with the high initiative value of Dark Elves, this item is EXTREMELY powerful and -- dare I say it -- cheesy. I would not allow such an item at any price.

Much more reasonable would be for each hit your get, the enemy loses 1 attack.

That's why I suggested he make the change to "if wounded." You'll have a tough time getting anything solid to not attack back, since thet involves bypassing a save of at the very least 1+ with S4 AP, plus the T5-6 behind it.
General Kala wrote:
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Wow, I think I've stumbled upon another use for the beastmaster as more than +2 wounds for the manticore and suicide pegasus bomber...

At 25 points it would take up their points allowance

shows how much I know :?
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Blood Banner
(or Banner of Blood like the Banner we had in 5th.....)
35 pts
Cold Ones no longer suffer from stupidity

Could make it Cold Ones in 6" or something like that for an increased points cost, or Cold ones are frenzy........
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

That's not bad, but not having to deal with stupidity for a whole battle is kinda cheezy imo. How about:

Red Incense-10 points (one use only)
cold ones do not longer suffer from stupidity for one turn
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

I would say if you have anything that will stop stupidity, and i honestly think that we shouldn't, the banner should be a bound spell that the opponent can stop. So we can have at least 1 turn of stupidity. It will also allow our opponent the chance to stop it.

i would honestly say 45 points for the banner.

Blood Banner: 45 Points
Bound spell; lvl 4
The unit is immune to stupidity until the beginning of your next magic phase.

if it isn't something that is goign to be hard to get gonig then we shouldn't have it. Stupidity is really a nice negative to our army.

btw w00t w00t post 900

his word is law.
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

I think that negating stupidity would be a viable option. It is a nice balancing factor, but we should be able to overcome it. But it would be the responsibility of the Beastmasters to handle the intractable beasts. So try this instead -

Cold One Goad - 25 (Beastmasters only)
Follows all rules for lances. In addition, any Cold One unit that the Beastmaster joins may re-roll failed stupidity checks.

It is fluffy, matches up with the models and would finally give a Beastmaster a reason to ride a Cold One. Otherwise, putting e Beastmaster on a Cold One is probably the most unused option in the entire army book.

While we're visiting the concept of Beastmaster equipment -

Harpy Whistle - 25 (Beastmasters only)
Use during the compulsory movement phase. Any unit of Harpies on the board that is fleeing immediately rallies and moves 3d6 inches directly toward the Beastmaster. If this extra movement brings the Harpies into contact with the Beastmaster or the Beastmaster's unit, the Harpies will savagely attack it (treat the unit exactly as if it had been charged by the Harpies). The Harpies will ignore any other unit, friend or foe, and will simply fly around them.

Slightly risky to use, but it will keep your Harpies in the fight.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

General Kala wrote:Cold One Goad - 25 (Beastmasters only)
Follows all rules for lances. In addition, any Cold One unit that the Beastmaster joins may re-roll failed stupidity checks.

I like this option. I would definitely make beastmasters be seen in more armies. It also gives a reason to take them on something other than a manticore.

General Kala wrote:Harpy Whistle - 25 (Beastmasters only)
Use during the compulsory movement phase. Any unit of Harpies on the board that is fleeing immediately rallies and moves 3d6 inches directly toward the Beastmaster. If this extra movement brings the Harpies into contact with the Beastmaster or the Beastmaster's unit, the Harpies will savagely attack it (treat the unit exactly as if it had been charged by the Harpies). The Harpies will ignore any other unit, friend or foe, and will simply fly around them.

Also a good idea. I like that it includes some risk. This will probably keep it from being overpowered.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Kala -- Your ideas for Beastmaster items are awesome. Fluffy, useful and balanced. I might make the harpy whistle one-use-only though and drop it down a few points.

How about this one:

Charm of the Bitter Wind (Talisman) -- 20 points

The chill winds of Nagarroth swirl around the bearer, sending enemy missles off course. All shooting targeting the bearer is at -1 to hit. This penalty applies whether the bearer is mounted or on foot. However, the charm has no effect on shooting that targets a unit which the bearer is in.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:The chill winds of Nagarroth swirl around the bearer, sending enemy missles off course. All shooting targeting the bearer is at -1 to hit. This penalty applies whether the bearer is mounted or on foot. However, the charm has no effect on shooting that targets a unit which the bearer is in.

I would add a strength thing into this. For example, missle weapons with strength 6 or higher are not affected by this.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ