Chaos Dwarfs - UPDATED 17/08 - Hobgoblins

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

I really like the warriors, and the base is excellent. You're inspiring me for my CD bases (I've been undecided on how to do them so far). The painting is very nice, though I'd like to see something on the shields (I know you're working on it though). Again, well done, and I can't wait to see more.
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Tybryn
Corsair

Post by Tybryn »

omg omg I love those units =D

I hope I can find someone with an army like that that I could fight, that just looks too awsome >=)

Never seen them before though....
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Atlast I have an update for you all, Ive (for the most part) been getting some painting in each night. I had tried something different on the shields, first painting them black then applying the white skull transfers from the Space Marine sheet...but it looked rubbish so I repainted it back to the above standard. I will have a go at hand painted desings once the whole army is done. Firstly let me reply to previous replies;

Ant - Suppose I'll let you off then! Look forward to seeing your stuff.

sha'a'alaar - Cheers man :)

The Liger - Thanks. I will be putting up a basic guide on how I painted the bases soon, its pretty simple, if not a little time consuming.

Tybryn - They are old 4th/5th edition models from the 90's. Thanks for the compliments though man.

Ok, here is my first Earthshaker Cannon (minus one crewman), Im very pleased with how the wood turned out on the Cannon itself. Ill probably post a guide to it soon, aswell as the Lava bases.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... haker1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... haker2.jpg

Chris
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Nice work on the cannon, although I still prefer a converted Hellcannon, that is much harder, costs more and when you're on a tight schedule for a tournament isn't really that that feasible.

Anyway, great work! Keep it up!

Sean
Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

more big hats..

This time with cannon, and I must say the cannon looks great even though the base look a bit too unstable for it.

And I'm not saying anything about the crew before you give us better picture.
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Nice work so far Xizor!

By looking at the picies I noticed that the rocks on the ES seem to look higher than on the crew.....
Btw I think gold chainmail on the crew would have looked better, the grey and silver look too similar....
Alkair
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Alkair »

Cool painting, especially avoiding those iffy brightness that ridiculed the chaos dwarfs in the past.

And the lollipop of death, well, it really looks like one from those coin selling chewing gum machines...in a nice way...something really from the chaos wastes... ;)
---------------------
House Sheth Harath
Highborns of the great city of Ghrond
Guardians against the Great Chaos Waste
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I really like the skin on the Lamussu, makes me wonder if I should get around to doing my one sometime. Nah, probably not.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

seanzala - Hey, talking of that tight schedule, it really is starting to bother me. Considering im still yet to play a game with this army and its only half stuck together! As for the cost, a converted Hellcannon would've been alot cheaper for me to do (being staff) but Im sticknig with the 5th Edition models.

the Watcher - lol Yeah, the Warmachines are all gonna look a bit odd. I do wonder how they managed to roll them out onto a Lava field!! Glad you like them though :)

Alkair - Hey, thanks for the reply. Im sure that alot of people instantly say "Chaos Dwarf models are crap" because of those gawdy 5th ed colours schemes people remember seeing them with! The Lollypop rules and you know it...

Arquinisel - Do it man, I'd love to see other peoples takes on this very odd model. Glad you like mine!

Anyway, another update. Got a whole unit painted now. Hobgoblins. Using Sneakygit models. Went for a quick paint job that looks good (though not so good in this pic!). With the bases the unit ties in nicely with the rest of my army... Check it out;

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... blins1.jpg

Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

chris the hobgobbos look legend and fit in with the army, and abotu the warmachines dotn you remember? you air lifted them via lammasu.
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

X, your models look great! I love how you don't necessarily rank them up on the base. This allows a more natural feel to the unit, especially for the less disciplined hobogoblins. Great job.

I also love the lava bases.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

The hobgobos look great chris! I'm really loving the bases too. Makes me want to repaint mine to get them up to that standard. Not gonna happen anytime soon thogh, if at all.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

They do look really amazing! I agree that it makes them seem slightly more unruly, which fits for Hobbos. To me, they look like they're all lava surfing or something actually, but that's not necessarily a bad thing I suppose. ;)

Anway, both they, and the 'Shaker look great. Keep up the good work!
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Looks good, keep it up. What's next on the list?

Sean
Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

Them hobbos look well painted but I don't like the way they are placed in the regiment, they look like they are backstabbing each other and the lava make them look like the rear ranks are pushing the front ones to very hot death...

But they are hobbos so mayby thats normal to them.
And I think you should ink theyr knives, they look too clean for gobbo'ish creatures IMO.

Now that was my opinion only but I hope it helped.
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."
Deathwing
Cold One Knight

Post by Deathwing »

Xizor, AWESOME! the hobbos kick a**, really! great paintjob, the bases are fantastic and the way you´ve put em together is excellent!!! can´t wait to see more!

I second Sean´s question, what´s next on your list?
Neondestroyer
Dark Rider

Post by Neondestroyer »

Nice little buggers.

I can well imagine a hobgoblin pushing his mate "by accident" into the hot boiling lava :D They really look that sneaky and evil. Well done!
Ik haat godverdomme trance!

Have a look: http://www.druchii.net/album_personal.php?user_id=10838
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Once again thanks for all the great replies, it really is keeping me going!

beastmaster kurlan - Um yeah, something like that mate. I figured I should just base them all the same anyway. Its worth noting that the Warmachines are totally detatchable from their bases if need be.

druchii77 - Hey #77, I like the fact you picked up on the ranking of the figures. When using the slate on the bases this is actually pretty necessary as it allows the bases themselves to rank up. The overall look though I think works well as it gives the appearance of the army advancing over the lava field. The poses of the Hobgoblin figures further excentuates this and, IMO, gives the unit a really rabble like feel. The Chaos Dwarf warriors whilst based in the same way will still look more organised as the models themselves are pretty static.

Ant - Cheers man. As it is I really like what I've seen of your colour scheme. Once again, any chance of some photos?

The Liger, seanzala & Deathwing - Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate your comments. I think this has good potential to be my best painted army yet (atm its probably my Tyranid Monster army, long since sold). As for whats next; I'm going to finish the Warriors. As you've seen I've done 4 so far so I have another 15 to do. They are all undercoated and ready to go infront of me now and I shall begin them once this post is done. Expect to see them sometime next week.

the Watcher - Hey man, what you maybe cant see from the photo is that all the models, and not just the ones at the front have the lava around the bases. Also Hobgoblins suffer from the animosity rule, so if they maybe look like they are backstabbing one another its not such a bad thing IMO.

NeonDestroyer - Haha man, yeah, thats the sort of look I love bout these figures. I was tempted to do some in the lava, but decided against it.

Once again, thanks alot. Time for me to start some painting

X

Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Oh God.. he went the way of CD. I knew it.. first the beer, now it's seeped into his brain in the form of Warhammer.

Hah! An entire unit of Chris'! (Sneaky Gits :lol:)

Actually, they look really good man, you've given a lot of life to some old models. Kudos to you sir. I look forward to seeing a couple reports. :)

Fr0
Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

Chris your evil, the rate at which you crack out top units is scary. Top work, can't wait to see more of the army. Out of intrest you gonna paint up some wine to go with the cheese? :P
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

A couple of replies from old friends here :)

Fr0 - Hobgoblin is the very best beer a man can drink! You've witnessed its effect. We'll leave it at that though please!! And why and I a Sneaky Git? That doesnt sound very nice. A git maybe, sneaky? me?! My first game with this army is scheduled for a week tomorrow (tuesday) and is against a Skaven army (not really SAD though), should be good. This does mean though that Im not gonna get much more painting done this week as I still have a bit to stick together - 30 Blunderbuss, 2 Sorcerers, 6 Bolt Throwers and an Earthshaker.

Cal - Firstly, why dya lose the "Prince" tag? Thanks for the compliments (about being evil that is), I should have another unit done for you in a couple of days. As for wine to go with cheese...you should know buddy! ;)

I have about painted all the beards and skin on my unit of Warriors. Unfortunately rather than drybrushing all the way on the beards I mistakingly painted a basecoat of shadow grey over the whole beard which has resulted in a different look, and not one I like. Im using black ink to try and solve it.

Im sure it'll be ok in the end.

X

Alkair
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Alkair »

Cool hobgoblins, lava-surfers comes close to the impression they give on the pic. I guess you have space in the front rank for just one disappearing hobgoblin...that would be nice and would let you have a nice comment for the case that them hobgoblins turn all squabbly in their animosity.

Keep up this nice work!!!
---------------------
House Sheth Harath
Highborns of the great city of Ghrond
Guardians against the Great Chaos Waste
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Alkair - There isnt actually a space in the front rank, 5 HobGobs still occupy the space. The photo doesnt show very well but there is a hobgob leaping from the rock which looks really cool. As previous mentioned I avoided the models in lava thing, not sure why, it would be cool!

Ok another update :) Firstly I want to talk about how I hate GW Satin Varnish - its coming out all dusty and making the models look crap! Its happened on my Hobgobs and now on my Warriors. Im not gonna bother try to sort it out atm incase I end up really screwing them up. Its only noticeable up close.

Anyway, I have now finished my unit of Warriors, and also my final crewman for the Earthshaker, check it out;

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... riors2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/ ... haker3.jpg

Coming next is all 6 Bolt Throwers! Gimme the best part of a week for these bad boys though!

Let me know what you think as always...

X

Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

Chris, I'd strongly suggest you go for testors dullcott which works such much better than GWs stuff. I like the way the warriors have turned out especially considering the time and what damage may have been done will look fine at normal distances. If you get those bolters done in time be sure to put me down for a doner kebab. ;)
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

I like the look of the warriors. Still not satisfied with the Earthshaker but thats the model, not your painting. Good job, keep it up.

Sean

PS When is the tournament?